Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 08:05:01 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs[DELETED]
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: [DELETED]  (Read 9805 times)
Phodex Games
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: December 19, 2020, 09:02:23 AM »

[DELETED]

I removed all of my posts here because the material was outdated and I don't want to get people confused that stumble upon this ancient thread. Unfortunately, you cannot delete a topic directly.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2022, 03:43:00 AM by Phodex Games » Logged

Beastboy
Level 3

Happy birth day mom!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2020, 09:28:36 AM »

Presentation 10/10
Visuals 9/10
Concept 7/10 only because there are tons of fps rpg these days
And the only problem i saw is
Combat mechanic 2/10
They seem very boring and not polishd in the video, maybe record something with more deepth.
This been said i whish you good luck, very good presentation owerall
Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2020, 11:56:36 AM »

Thanks for sharing your game Phodex. Do I see a Wicker Man statue there? Such a terrible movie, but I love the vibe of these strange pagan rituals and your screenshot captures that as well.

buto
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2020, 01:19:17 PM »

Wow. This looks amazing. Having Gothic and the Elder Scrolls as inspiration has to pay off. I'd definitley love to play this. Your attacks look very impactful and indeed fun.
Regarding the point raised above concerning the fighting system, the only thing where I see room for improvements are the attack animations of the enemies. They do not yet seem to be as dynamic as the main characters movements. But yeah - it's just a preview, as I understood.

How will you tackle the world building? Story, Quests, etc? Do you have a team of quest writers? Or some algorithms? Or do you write it all by yourself? Smiley

Looking forward to updates!

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2020, 12:22:21 PM »

By the way, no worries I haven't forgotten to give you feedback for your game, I was just so busy with getting everything ready for the trailer and the website. Will do that soon.

Hey! Don't feel obliged to give me feedback, it is totally understandable if you have a busy schedule. I'm looking forward to hear what you think, but no pressure there Wink

Beastboy
Level 3

Happy birth day mom!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2020, 04:00:26 AM »

Presentation 10/10
Visuals 9/10
Concept 7/10 only because there are tons of fps rpg these days
And the only problem i saw is
Combat mechanic 2/10
They seem very boring and not polishd in the video, maybe record something with more deepth.
This been said i whish you good luck, very good presentation owerall

Ok thanks for the breakdown, but I really wonder why you think the combat mechanic is 2/10. It's one of the main features of the game and I personally think it feels better than the combat system from Skyrim for example. Well, maybe it just doesn't portray very well in the trailer. Maybe you need to play it, to get a feel for it.

Would you please tell me what exactly does not feel polished and what feels boring? What do you mean with more depth? Also, it's still alpha footage, you shouldn't expect something very polished at this state.

Well as i said, all looks amazing, my only issue is with how combat looks in the footage, does not seem like it brings satisfaction, but that can be only my opinion so do not worry
starjung
Level 0

Building ChipsTV

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2020, 07:58:23 AM »

As a fellow German I share your love of the Gothic series Smiley Elder Scrolls is great too of course. TBH I'm not a big fan of cartoonish art styles (yours is not very cartoony though), as it was the realistic atmosphere and art that sucked me into the worlds of Gothic and Oblivion. But from what I can see, your game somehow manages both! The dimly-lit hall with the table and chandelier looks amazing! Maybe it's the colours and lighting, I don't know, but I'm looking forward to seeing more!

Building "video chat + games" on https://chipstv.co/
starjung
Level 0

Building ChipsTV

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2020, 06:53:57 AM »

Makes total sense to go low-poly, I understand. And great, happy to see more content! Your YouTube channel seems so professional, one can really see the effort  Hand Thumbs Up Right

Building "video chat + games" on https://chipstv.co/
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2021, 03:32:51 AM »

Cool style! If I wasn't a guy in his late thirties who only has time for short games this would be right up my alley, so I'll do the second-best thing and follow this devlog Wink

Small tip: put a link to the devlog in your signature. That way other developers can find your projects and join the discussion

By the way, the screenshots and footage all looks really dark to me, I can't really distinguish the fine details. And I got a calibrated screen so Shrug

Maybe it's a stylistic choice to keep things set in lighting that is supposed to evoke "dusk", but it would be a shame if that also meant that you can't actually see what's going on.
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2021, 11:32:30 AM »

The exterior levels are readable but still quite dark. Are you sure your screen contrast, brightness or gamma isn't tuned up too high? If you don't have a calibration tool you can check that on this test page:

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/all_tests.php
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2021, 08:04:08 AM »

I think with smart level design you can make a place feel without it necessarily being big. Just think of the early 2000s open world games that never felt tiny even though they technically speaking are compared to modern games!
Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2021, 10:46:14 AM »

It is interesting that you changed tile size at this point. Something very similar happened to me, too: I even rescaled my player character when I was already two years into generating my world. It is so hard to make proportions feel good. And the most annoying thing is that you can't rely on real world scales, as we also recently discussed briefly in Prinsessas Devlog.

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2021, 01:49:34 PM »

Hi Phodex! I just watched your video about the player home and really like the atmosphere of the place. I enjoy the parts of the videos most where you talk in a less "dramatic" tone and just chat freely about your work. But I guess a more dramatic presentation puts people in the mood for your game and its world, so I am not the measure of all things Wink

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2021, 12:14:50 PM »

Haha, I just noticed this last post was an error  :lol:. I wanted to modify the first post and this video there should have been the trailer.  I just didn't notice I posted it as a reply. Anyway, it led you to watch it so :D haha.

That makes sense ;). But as you said, made me watch the devlog :)

Yeah recently people have told me that I sounded a bit tired in my videos, so I decided to spice things up again. Ultimately I would like to make it a show, not so much a boring Devlog because I want to attract players not developers in the end :)

Sure, that is reasonable!

Earworm
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2021, 04:45:33 PM »

Hi Phodex! This looks really cool. I like the simplified, blocky approach you've taken with the visuals - it's an interesting direction to take a first person game and opens up the possibility for some cool cartoony animations.
Schrompf
Level 9

C++ professional, game dev sparetime

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2021, 10:56:27 PM »

And pinning foes to walls was one of the nice treats in Painkiller back then. Love it.

Snake World, multiplayer worm eats stuff and grows DevLog
Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2021, 11:21:23 PM »

I'd also say it was 100% worth it! That pinning mechanic makes every kill a little unique by telling a story. Makes me want to sit down and come up with something comparable Wink

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2021, 07:47:49 AM »

Looks like you fixed your lightness problem for the most part! To be honest I have a hard time reading the second image, but that may be my color-blindness not being good at distinguishing red, brown and green, especially when lights are dark
Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2021, 11:39:08 PM »

So far the pinning only works with the spike trap you can see there, but it would be cool of the arrow of a bow could do this as well right :D

Ah, I did not realize it was the spike trap doing that. Maybe it would be cool if your bow did it on critial hits or something like that.

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2021, 12:44:44 AM »

Thanks for the update, Markus! To me it was interesting to watch the timelapse of how you created the shop's counter from a combination basic geometry and prefabs. There are many approaches to making such a simple thing but I always wonder what is the fastest to get away with and still have enough variety and detail.

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic