Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1388633 Posts in 66624 Topics- by 59296 Members - Latest Member: Deafcon Audio services

March 03, 2021, 12:26:55 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs⚔️ RAIDBORN [Action-RPG] Skyrim meets Dungeon Crawler
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: ⚔️ RAIDBORN [Action-RPG] Skyrim meets Dungeon Crawler  (Read 2662 times)
Phodex Games
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: December 19, 2020, 09:02:23 AM »

« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 07:45:24 AM by Phodex Games » Logged

Beastboy
Level 1

Happy birth day mom!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2020, 09:28:36 AM »

Presentation 10/10
Visuals 9/10
Concept 7/10 only because there are tons of fps rpg these days
And the only problem i saw is
Combat mechanic 2/10
They seem very boring and not polishd in the video, maybe record something with more deepth.
This been said i whish you good luck, very good presentation owerall
Phodex Games
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2020, 11:55:58 AM »

Presentation 10/10
Visuals 9/10
Combat mechanic 2/10
They seem very boring and not polishd in the video, maybe record something with more deepth.

Ok thanks for the breakdown, but I really wonder why you think the combat mechanic is 2/10. It's one of the main features of the game and I personally think it feels better than the combat system from Skyrim for example. Well, maybe it just doesn't portray very well in the trailer. Maybe you need to play it, to get a feel for it.

Would you please tell me what exactly does not feel polished and what feels boring? What do you mean with more depth? Also, it's still alpha footage, you shouldn't expect something very polished at this state.

Alain
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2020, 11:56:36 AM »

Thanks for sharing your game Phodex. Do I see a Wicker Man statue there? Such a terrible movie, but I love the vibe of these strange pagan rituals and your screenshot captures that as well.

buto
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2020, 01:19:17 PM »

Wow. This looks amazing. Having Gothic and the Elder Scrolls as inspiration has to pay off. I'd definitley love to play this. Your attacks look very impactful and indeed fun.
Regarding the point raised above concerning the fighting system, the only thing where I see room for improvements are the attack animations of the enemies. They do not yet seem to be as dynamic as the main characters movements. But yeah - it's just a preview, as I understood.

How will you tackle the world building? Story, Quests, etc? Do you have a team of quest writers? Or some algorithms? Or do you write it all by yourself? Smiley

Looking forward to updates!

Phodex Games
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2020, 01:30:50 PM »

Thanks for sharing your game Phodex. Do I see a Wicker Man statue there? Such a terrible movie, but I love the vibe of these strange pagan rituals and your screenshot captures that as well.

No problem. I am glad you like it. Yeah, that's a Wicker Man, but the idea didn't come from the movie. Actually, I don't even know the movie.

By the way, no worries I haven't forgotten to give you feedback for your game, I was just so busy with getting everything ready for the trailer and the website. Will do that soon.

Phodex Games
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2020, 01:43:25 PM »

Wow. This looks amazing. Having Gothic and the Elder Scrolls as inspiration has to pay off. I'd definitley love to play this. Your attacks look very impactful and indeed fun.
Regarding the point raised above concerning the fighting system, the only thing where I see room for improvements are the attack animations of the enemies. They do not yet seem to be as dynamic as the main characters movements. But yeah - it's just a preview, as I understood.

Thanks for your feedback. I am glad to hear you found it feels impactful because that was my number one goal for the combat system. Yeah, the animations are pretty mediocre, but I plan to do a major update on them in the future. Already have a lot of new animations I just need to implement and polish them.

How will you tackle the world building? Story, Quests, etc? Do you have a team of quest writers? Or some algorithms? Or do you write it all by yourself? Smiley

Looking forward to updates!

For the world-building, I use a hybrid of level generation and manual level design to ensure good quality and still don't have to build all of them by hand.

Regarding quests and story, you shouldn't expect a story-driven game. Raidborn is mainly focused on dungeon crawling and gameplay. I am going to build a quest system for the beta of Raidborn (similar to the InfiniX level generation engine, it's going to be a hybrid of random generation and manual quest design), but it's going to be pretty simple and mostly serves to give the player a challenge, or some extra reward and to generally make it more interesting and add purpose for the player to visit places. I mean I have some nice ideas to make those quests interesting, but you shouldn't expect deep multilayered quests.

Again thank you very much for your opinion.

Alain
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2020, 12:22:21 PM »

By the way, no worries I haven't forgotten to give you feedback for your game, I was just so busy with getting everything ready for the trailer and the website. Will do that soon.

Hey! Don't feel obliged to give me feedback, it is totally understandable if you have a busy schedule. I'm looking forward to hear what you think, but no pressure there Wink

Beastboy
Level 1

Happy birth day mom!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2020, 04:00:26 AM »

Presentation 10/10
Visuals 9/10
Combat mechanic 2/10

Ok thanks for the breakdown, but I really wonder why you think the combat mechanic is 2/10. It's one of the main features of the game and I personally think it feels better than the combat system from Skyrim for example. Well, maybe it just doesn't portray very well in the trailer. Maybe you need to play it, to get a feel for it.

Would you please tell me what exactly does not feel polished and what feels boring? What do you mean with more depth? Also, it's still alpha footage, you shouldn't expect something very polished at this state.

Well as i said, all looks amazing, my only issue is with how combat looks in the footage, does not seem like it brings satisfaction, but that can be only my opinion so do not worry
starjung
Level 0

Building ChipsTV

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2020, 07:58:23 AM »

As a fellow German I share your love of the Gothic series Smiley Elder Scrolls is great too of course. TBH I'm not a big fan of cartoonish art styles (yours is not very cartoony though), as it was the realistic atmosphere and art that sucked me into the worlds of Gothic and Oblivion. But from what I can see, your game somehow manages both! The dimly-lit hall with the table and chandelier looks amazing! Maybe it's the colours and lighting, I don't know, but I'm looking forward to seeing more!

Building "video chat + games" on https://chipstv.co/
Phodex Games
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2020, 11:21:59 AM »

As a fellow German I share your love of the Gothic series Smiley Elder Scrolls is great too of course. TBH I'm not a big fan of cartoonish art styles (yours is not very cartoony though), as it was the realistic atmosphere and art that sucked me into the worlds of Gothic and Oblivion. But from what I can see, your game somehow manages both! The dimly-lit hall with the table and chandelier looks amazing! Maybe it's the colors and lighting, I don't know, but I'm looking forward to seeing more!

Yeah for me Gothic 2 and TES: IV Oblivion are my favorite games, although Oblivion didn't age as well as Gothic 2 did, gameplay-wise. I always was in love with the wonderful mountain and forest environments of Oblivion and that feeling is what I want to mimic with the outdoor levels of Raidborn.

I am really happy to hear you like the art style. Going for low-poly was a decision I made to make the game easier for me to produce and maintain. Having basically only one texture and not having to do texture painting and baking helps a lot in making things easier. But I personally like the low-poly style, if it still is detailed enough. I find modern realistic graphics, like you can see in Battlefield 5, COD, GTA, etc a little bit boring because everyone is doing this.

I think I am not going to post new stuff here before next year, due to the holidays, but if you are interested, I have an ascending and descending playlist of my Devlogs, which I am doing regularly for over a year now. It may be interesting to see how the game and the quality of the videos evolved over time.

See here: https://www.youtube.com/c/PhodexGames/playlists

starjung
Level 0

Building ChipsTV

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2020, 06:53:57 AM »

Makes total sense to go low-poly, I understand. And great, happy to see more content! Your YouTube channel seems so professional, one can really see the effort  Hand Thumbs Up Right

Building "video chat + games" on https://chipstv.co/
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2021, 03:32:51 AM »

Cool style! If I wasn't a guy in his late thirties who only has time for short games this would be right up my alley, so I'll do the second-best thing and follow this devlog Wink

Small tip: put a link to the devlog in your signature. That way other developers can find your projects and join the discussion

By the way, the screenshots and footage all looks really dark to me, I can't really distinguish the fine details. And I got a calibrated screen so Shrug

Maybe it's a stylistic choice to keep things set in lighting that is supposed to evoke "dusk", but it would be a shame if that also meant that you can't actually see what's going on.
Phodex Games
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2021, 11:23:55 AM »

Cool style! If I wasn't a guy in his late thirties who only has time for short games this would be right up my alley, so I'll do the second-best thing and follow this devlog Wink

Small tip: put a link to the devlog in your signature. That way other developers can find your projects and join the discussion

By the way, the screenshots and footage all looks really dark to me, I can't really distinguish the fine details. And I got a calibrated screen so Shrug

Maybe it's a stylistic choice to keep things set in lighting that is supposed to evoke "dusk", but it would be a shame if that also meant that you can't actually see what's going on.

I am not in my late thirties, but I still know what you mean. If you develop a game there is not much time for playing either. Regarding the dark screenshots, yes that's actually a problem. I just gave my current game version to a friend and he also noticed that it is way too dark.

Are the first two images ok for you? I think the exterior levels look fine, but all indoor levels are a bit too dark. You know before levels were too bright, and now they're too dark. Haha, that's what always happens. I also added a torch for the player and wanted to make it actually useful Cheesy but it's bad for screenshots.  One last iteration of fine-tuning the lighting should fix that. Thanks for pointing it out again.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2021, 11:32:30 AM »

The exterior levels are readable but still quite dark. Are you sure your screen contrast, brightness or gamma isn't tuned up too high? If you don't have a calibration tool you can check that on this test page:

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/all_tests.php
Phodex Games
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2021, 01:09:34 PM »

The exterior levels are readable but still quite dark. Are you sure your screen contrast, brightness or gamma isn't tuned up too high? If you don't have a calibration tool you can check that on this test page:

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/all_tests.php

Thanks that's very useful. I tried to calibrate my display once, but that's some time ago and I may have changed some settings since. I usually have my brightness very low, to make the display more pleasant to look at, that's why my scenes were too bright at first I guess.

Phodex Games
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2021, 07:32:17 AM »

A new Devlog is here and from now on I will regularly upload new ones every second Friday at 15:30 UTC. This time I will show you how and why I had to drastically reduce the exterior levels in size, how I created a procedural object placement system to supplement the level generation, and then I show you the new UI solution I came up with for selecting items.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2021, 08:04:08 AM »

I think with smart level design you can make a place feel without it necessarily being big. Just think of the early 2000s open world games that never felt tiny even though they technically speaking are compared to modern games!
Phodex Games
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2021, 08:19:40 AM »

I think with smart level design you can make a place feel without it necessarily being big. Just think of the early 2000s open world games that never felt tiny even though they technically speaking are compared to modern games!

I think you are very right. That's exactly what I am slowly learning. It's a pretty difficult thing to master.

Alain
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2021, 10:46:14 AM »

It is interesting that you changed tile size at this point. Something very similar happened to me, too: I even rescaled my player character when I was already two years into generating my world. It is so hard to make proportions feel good. And the most annoying thing is that you can't rely on real world scales, as we also recently discussed briefly in Prinsessas Devlog.

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic