Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1388766 Posts in 66639 Topics- by 59315 Members - Latest Member: VisionaryGames

March 06, 2021, 04:06:17 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsAvailable To Wishlist! ⚔️ RAIDBORN [Action-RPG] Skyrim meets Dungeon Crawler
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Available To Wishlist! ⚔️ RAIDBORN [Action-RPG] Skyrim meets Dungeon Crawler  (Read 2869 times)
Phodex Games
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2021, 10:53:54 AM »

It is interesting that you changed tile size at this point. Something very similar happened to me, too: I even rescaled my player character when I was already two years into generating my world. It is so hard to make proportions feel good. And the most annoying thing is that you can't rely on real world scales, as we also recently discussed briefly in Prinsessas Devlog.

Haha yeah, I really can feel you. I just recently noticed my cave levels are like 60% too large, better said they feel much better in terms of visuals and playability if I decrease them by that amount. Crazy that you don't notice that until you finally bring all the pieces together and play it.

When I build the tiles in Blender they felt alright, even if I was walking around in empty levels it felt ok, but when I placed the details, I noticed that in comparision the level architecture is massive. I can't wait to fix that and see how everything feels then. I also need to check out Prinsessas. Lets see whats going on there :-)

Alain
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2021, 01:49:34 PM »

Hi Phodex! I just watched your video about the player home and really like the atmosphere of the place. I enjoy the parts of the videos most where you talk in a less "dramatic" tone and just chat freely about your work. But I guess a more dramatic presentation puts people in the mood for your game and its world, so I am not the measure of all things Wink

Phodex Games
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2021, 12:26:02 AM »

Haha, I just noticed this last post was an error  Cheesy. I wanted to modify the first post and this video there should have been the trailer.  I just didn't notice I posted it as a reply. Anyway, it led you to watch it so :D haha.

Yeah recently people have told me that I sounded a bit tired in my videos, so I decided to spice things up again. Ultimately I would like to make it a show, not so much a boring Devlog because I want to attract players not developers in the end Smiley

Alain
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2021, 12:14:50 PM »

Haha, I just noticed this last post was an error  :lol:. I wanted to modify the first post and this video there should have been the trailer.  I just didn't notice I posted it as a reply. Anyway, it led you to watch it so :D haha.

That makes sense ;). But as you said, made me watch the devlog :)

Yeah recently people have told me that I sounded a bit tired in my videos, so I decided to spice things up again. Ultimately I would like to make it a show, not so much a boring Devlog because I want to attract players not developers in the end :)

Sure, that is reasonable!

Phodex Games
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2021, 07:29:06 AM »

Some badass combat moves I wanted to share with you. I recorded them when a friend came over to play Raidborn and yes it's supposed to look a bit funny Smiley

Earworm
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2021, 04:45:33 PM »

Hi Phodex! This looks really cool. I like the simplified, blocky approach you've taken with the visuals - it's an interesting direction to take a first person game and opens up the possibility for some cool cartoony animations.
Schrompf
Level 8

C++ professional, game dev sparetime

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2021, 10:56:27 PM »

And pinning foes to walls was one of the nice treats in Painkiller back then. Love it.

Snake World, multiplayer worm eats stuff and grows DevLog
Phodex Games
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2021, 11:12:08 PM »

Hi Phodex! This looks really cool. I like the simplified, blocky approach you've taken with the visuals - it's an interesting direction to take a first-person game and opens up the possibility for some cool cartoony animations.

Glad you enjoyed it. Check out the initial post if you haven't yet for some screenshots with actual graphics because this is just a sandbox development scene where I test stuff  Smiley

Phodex Games
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2021, 11:13:47 PM »

And pinning foes to walls was one of the nice treats in Painkiller back then. Love it.

It is was and still is quite a challenge to work with all this physics-based combat stuff, but I think it was totally worth it Smiley

Alain
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2021, 11:21:23 PM »

I'd also say it was 100% worth it! That pinning mechanic makes every kill a little unique by telling a story. Makes me want to sit down and come up with something comparable Wink

Phodex Games
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2021, 07:27:15 AM »

Some nice screenshots from the exterior levels of Raidborn. It also shows two different kinds of weather, which will help to make the levels feel more diverse. What do you think about it?

Phodex Games
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2021, 07:42:34 AM »

I'd also say it was 100% worth it! That pinning mechanic makes every kill a little unique by telling a story. Makes me want to sit down and come up with something comparable Wink

Yeah I think it will also be beneficial because people may want to share some crazy kills they accomplished, which could help to get the name of the game out there. So far the pinning only works with the spike trap you can see there, but it would be cool of the arrow of a bow could do this as well right :D

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2021, 07:47:49 AM »

Looks like you fixed your lightness problem for the most part! To be honest I have a hard time reading the second image, but that may be my color-blindness not being good at distinguishing red, brown and green, especially when lights are dark
Phodex Games
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2021, 09:31:12 AM »

Looks like you fixed your lightness problem for the most part! To be honest I have a hard time reading the second image, but that may be my color-blindness not being good at distinguishing red, brown and green, especially when lights are dark

Yes, I did, thanks to your input Smiley. It appears my displays were adjusted pretty poorly and it also just had to do with my incompetence  Cheesy. You are right the colors in the second screenshots are pretty monotone red/brown, but thats just how sunset affects colors  Cheesy. Also, keep in mind that image compression slightly affects the readability in a negative way.

Alain
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2021, 11:39:08 PM »

So far the pinning only works with the spike trap you can see there, but it would be cool of the arrow of a bow could do this as well right :D

Ah, I did not realize it was the spike trap doing that. Maybe it would be cool if your bow did it on critial hits or something like that.

Phodex Games
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2021, 10:12:29 AM »

A new Devlog is here! This time I will show you how TES: IV Oblivion inspired me to add an enemy health bar, why it was necessary to re-build the games shop from scratch, and last but not least how this can solve the sweet roll dilemma we all know and fear.

Alain
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2021, 12:44:44 AM »

Thanks for the update, Markus! To me it was interesting to watch the timelapse of how you created the shop's counter from a combination basic geometry and prefabs. There are many approaches to making such a simple thing but I always wonder what is the fastest to get away with and still have enough variety and detail.

Phodex Games
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2021, 10:13:10 AM »

Thanks for the update, Markus! To me it was interesting to watch the timelapse of how you created the shop's counter from a combination basic geometry and prefabs. There are many approaches to making such a simple thing but I always wonder what is the fastest to get away with and still have enough variety and detail.

Yes, I hate to start from scratch. I always try to find elements I can use to build upon, like with lego Smiley. The Wickerman for example mainly consists of wooden planks I took from some wooden constructions I already have. Then I just scaled and aligned them properly  Cheesy

Devilkay
Level 2

Hi! First game-dev experience!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2021, 09:21:07 AM »

Recely I was looking a lot of poly low games. is it a trending kind-of-game?

Favourite GM Game
Phodex Games
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2021, 01:16:15 PM »

If you are asking if my game is trending, then no not yet, but it's not released already so I can't make a statement about it. If you are asking if it is popular in the game development community then yes kind of, especially for small indie developers. It looks pretty good and has some advantages on the technical side and also makes it a bit easier to create models. That's why many people like to use this style and I personally also think it just looks super cool and helps you to set you apart from AAA games's realistic graphics.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic