Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411469 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58423 Members - Latest Member: antkind

April 23, 2024, 08:42:44 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs[DELETED]
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: [DELETED]  (Read 9800 times)
Devilkay
Level 2

Hi! First game-dev experience!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2021, 09:21:07 AM »

Recely I was looking a lot of poly low games. is it a trending kind-of-game?
Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2021, 11:43:47 PM »

Yes, I hate to start from scratch. I always try to find elements I can use to build upon, like with lego Smiley. The Wickerman for example mainly consists of wooden planks I took from some wooden constructions I already have. Then I just scaled and aligned them properly  Cheesy

I work exactly the same way. Btw. our 3D models seem to have a very similar level of detail / polygon count. I envy you for not having to paint textures, but on the other hand I guess you have to pay more attention to smoothing groups and normals than me.

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2021, 11:38:13 PM »

That's cool! I personally get a more intense feeling of exploration when I know parts are procedural. I'm curious: What makes a chunk of your level? I assume it is one of the landscape patches that we see in the gif. Is everything inside such a patch static or are there more procedural elements?

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2021, 10:59:24 PM »

You may find this very interesting where I show a breakdown of a generation tile and explain how it works.

Nice, that was interesting. I somehow missed that you have quite some procedural generation in your game.

I invested all this effort because I really wanted to create a level generation system that creates not only believable levels but also to make them detailed and fun to explore.

It totally makes sense to me that you put a lot of work into that. "A lot of time" is less than the time you need to build infinite levels by hand. Wow, that sounded funnier in my head Wink

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2021, 10:49:40 PM »

A pentagram in a dark temple hinting at black magic and human sacrifice? Sign me up for that Wink

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2021, 08:27:49 AM »

Legs go flopflopflop
Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2021, 12:22:46 AM »

C'mon Ninja Bear, you can do better than that!

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2021, 08:38:56 AM »

Looks really cool though, why not figure out why it happens and make it a feature? Wink
Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2021, 09:05:17 AM »

It really looks like a lot of fun. By the way, do you plan (or already have) different types of arrows?

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2021, 09:58:07 AM »

I think quality is better than quantity here. I think it's not very fun if you have 20 different arrows that just do different kinds of damage (fire, poison, ice), which some RPGs have.

I totally agree. Having one damage arrow and a handful of utility arrows as you say is also how I like it best.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2021, 07:56:44 AM »

Congrats!
Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2021, 09:18:44 AM »

That's great, congratulations! You put a lot of work into the store (and your game obviously) and I wish you a looot of wishlists Wink

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2021, 10:11:50 AM »

This looks better than any possessed animal I could ever animate!

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2021, 10:36:51 AM »

Good job on the post processing, it looks great! Also, I agree that increasing the size of your trees does a lot for the feel of your levels.

At first, I was unsure whether I liked that you now have individual leaves instead of polygonized tree crowns. But then I realized that it was only some of your old trees that had polygon crowns and you already had leaves on bushes and flowers. So looking at your footage I see that it is much more coherent now with the new trees. Did the new trees have an impact on performance?

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2021, 03:33:46 AM »

In fact, I can use fewer trees now because I made them bigger. That may actually even save some performance, also because I can decrease view distance, as you don't see as far as before.

That's great, seems like you could kill two birds with one stone!

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2021, 09:22:44 AM »

I like the world building in the second screenshot: I assume the size of these tusks give us a hint that mushrooms and dandilions are (or were) not the only giant inhabitants of this area ;)

vivaladav
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2021, 11:05:28 AM »

It's pretty amazing you're creating all this alone (at least that's what I got from reading your intro)!

Btw, is this going to be a F2P game?

Creating "Virtueror, the virtual conqueror" (RTS + 4x + RPG)

[Wishlist on Steam]
[TIGS devlog][YouTube devlog][website]
Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2021, 11:30:37 PM »

I like the mood in the second screenshot with the sun setting (or rising) while the lantern is still lit.

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2021, 02:10:05 AM »

Nice, I'm looking forward to watching this!

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2021, 11:03:14 PM »

This was a great read and definitely food for thought for me. I should take the time and make something exactly like your tile guardian to explore the "extremes" of my procedural generation. Thank you for sharing this idea!

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic