Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1388766 Posts in 66639 Topics- by 59315 Members - Latest Member: VisionaryGames

March 06, 2021, 03:09:53 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsAvailable To Wishlist! ⚔️ RAIDBORN [Action-RPG] Skyrim meets Dungeon Crawler
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: Available To Wishlist! ⚔️ RAIDBORN [Action-RPG] Skyrim meets Dungeon Crawler  (Read 2867 times)
Alain
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2021, 11:43:47 PM »

Yes, I hate to start from scratch. I always try to find elements I can use to build upon, like with lego Smiley. The Wickerman for example mainly consists of wooden planks I took from some wooden constructions I already have. Then I just scaled and aligned them properly  Cheesy

I work exactly the same way. Btw. our 3D models seem to have a very similar level of detail / polygon count. I envy you for not having to paint textures, but on the other hand I guess you have to pay more attention to smoothing groups and normals than me.

Phodex Games
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2021, 07:31:39 AM »

This shows the level generation system I build in action. In this case, it generates an exterior level. I think it looks cool to see it do its job Smiley

Watching this earned you 200 Honor Crowns to spend in the Raidborn shop. To claim them click here!

Alain
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2021, 11:38:13 PM »

That's cool! I personally get a more intense feeling of exploration when I know parts are procedural. I'm curious: What makes a chunk of your level? I assume it is one of the landscape patches that we see in the gif. Is everything inside such a patch static or are there more procedural elements?

Phodex Games
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2021, 12:30:36 AM »

That's cool! I personally get a more intense feeling of exploration when I know parts are procedural. I'm curious: What makes a chunk of your level? I assume it is one of the landscape patches that we see in the gif. Is everything inside such a patch static or are there more procedural elements?

You may find this very interesting where I show a breakdown of a generation tile and explain how it works. I also made some other videos about the level generator.

To answer your question, yes a level gets generated by different tiles, however, as you can see in the video I linked, those are modular as well and have different exit points, that may or may not be open and also change the architecture of a tile slightly. Furthermore, I have different types of tiles. Entrance, Main, Separator, End and Side tiles, which all have different design guidelines and therefore allow me to make sure the generator creates believable levels. Each tile has different detail compositions, which contain some static objects and lots of so-called object collections, which randomly spawn single objects or object groups, which again can have object collections nested in them. So its a random generation inception if you will  Cheesy

I invested all this effort because I really wanted to create a level generation system that creates not only believable levels but also to make them detailed and fun to explore.

Phodex Games
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2021, 10:17:03 AM »

Two new screenshots from Raidborn. Two new screenshots from Raidborn. They show how good the cave levels can look. I also improved the fire particles recently which really helps to improve the visuals. What do you think about it?

Watching this earned you 200 Honor Crowns to spend in the Raidborn shop. To claim them click here!

Alain
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2021, 10:59:24 PM »

You may find this very interesting where I show a breakdown of a generation tile and explain how it works.

Nice, that was interesting. I somehow missed that you have quite some procedural generation in your game.

I invested all this effort because I really wanted to create a level generation system that creates not only believable levels but also to make them detailed and fun to explore.

It totally makes sense to me that you put a lot of work into that. "A lot of time" is less than the time you need to build infinite levels by hand. Wow, that sounded funnier in my head Wink

Phodex Games
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2021, 07:25:21 AM »

I recorded this a while ago and wanted to share it with you. It shows what evil kills you can make with the spike traps I added to Raidborn.

Phodex Games
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2021, 07:33:45 AM »

Two new screenshots from Raidborn. The first shows a skeleton doing some dark ritual, the second shows the player home. You will be able to upgrade the player home later in the game. Thats the home you start with. What do you think about it?

Alain
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2021, 10:49:40 PM »

A pentagram in a dark temple hinting at black magic and human sacrifice? Sign me up for that Wink

Phodex Games
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2021, 07:37:41 AM »

A new Devlog is here! This time I will show you what crazy systems I build to turbo boost the performance of my indie game Raidborn, why it was is so important to me and how I upgraded the shadows to make them look way sharper than before.

Phodex Games
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2021, 07:42:02 AM »

Sometimes things just don't work as expected and sometimes this is really funny, like in this case here. I tried to setup ragdoll physics for this bear, but it became a gummy bear instead :D

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 10:25:08 AM by Phodex Games » Logged

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2021, 08:27:49 AM »

Legs go flopflopflop
Alain
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2021, 12:22:46 AM »

C'mon Ninja Bear, you can do better than that!

Phodex Games
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2021, 07:32:24 AM »

Two new screenshots from Raidborn. The first shows the player sneaking up to some bandits sitting at a campfire, the second shows two buddies having a good time. What do you think about it?

Phodex Games
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2021, 07:57:46 AM »

Some badass combat moves from Raidborn. Actually, I didnt even intentionally implement that you can ragdoll stunned enemies with arrows, its more or less a bug :D

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 02, 2021, 08:38:56 AM »

Looks really cool though, why not figure out why it happens and make it a feature? Wink
Phodex Games
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: March 02, 2021, 08:52:47 AM »

Looks really cool though, why not figure out why it happens and make it a feature? Wink

You know it's not particularly a bug, it's more that I have never thought about this happening, but the system I build is so generalized that it just happens, which is pretty cool I think and of course, I will keep it. It's like I made a feature on accident, which really doesn't happen very often  Cheesy

Alain
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2021, 09:05:17 AM »

It really looks like a lot of fun. By the way, do you plan (or already have) different types of arrows?

Phodex Games
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: March 02, 2021, 09:29:28 AM »

It really looks like a lot of fun. By the way, do you plan (or already have) different types of arrows?

Yes, I thought about it because I love that in games. I am thinking of arrow types like seen in Gothic 3 because I think they very pretty fun. So basically fire, knock out, and poison arrows. A personal favorite of mine also would be Thief's water arrows, though I would need to integrate them with my stealth system. I think quality is better than quantity here. I think it's not very fun if you have 20 different arrows that just do different kinds of damage (fire, poison, ice), which some RPGs have. However, I do not plan to add it to the Early Access version. It's something for the final release.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 09:43:41 AM by Phodex Games » Logged

Alain
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: March 02, 2021, 09:58:07 AM »

I think quality is better than quantity here. I think it's not very fun if you have 20 different arrows that just do different kinds of damage (fire, poison, ice), which some RPGs have.

I totally agree. Having one damage arrow and a handful of utility arrows as you say is also how I like it best.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic