Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1390782 Posts in 66796 Topics- by 59536 Members - Latest Member: boruok

April 16, 2021, 06:57:23 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs⚔️ RAIDBORN First person action-RPG with dynamic level generation
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Print
Author Topic: ⚔️ RAIDBORN First person action-RPG with dynamic level generation  (Read 4842 times)
Alain
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: March 24, 2021, 11:30:37 PM »

I like the mood in the second screenshot with the sun setting (or rising) while the lantern is still lit.

Phodex Games
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: March 25, 2021, 03:26:07 AM »

I like the mood in the second screenshot with the sun setting (or rising) while the lantern is still lit.

Glad to hear you like it Smiley

Phodex Games
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: March 26, 2021, 07:34:54 AM »

A new Devlog is here! This time I will show you how and why I manifested my whole level generation system into a single line of code, how I overhauled my castle levels with new lighting and effects, and how I created a cool Blender plugin to automate a very tedious task.

Alain
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: March 27, 2021, 02:10:05 AM »

Nice, I'm looking forward to watching this!

Phodex Games
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: March 30, 2021, 06:30:34 AM »

Those destroyable traps I implemented some time ago really allow for some cool combos as you can see in this clip. Its also very satisfying to destroy them Smiley

Watching this earned you 200 Honor Crowns to spend in the Raidborn shop. To claim them click here! Honor Crowns are a 100% free community-currency. Learn more about it here

Phodex Games
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: March 31, 2021, 06:32:16 AM »

Two new screenshots from Raidborn. They show a tavern and a large temple inside a castle. What do you think about it?

Watching this earned you 200 Honor Crowns to spend in the Raidborn shop. To claim them click here! Honor Crowns are a 100% free community-currency. Learn more about it here

Phodex Games
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: April 01, 2021, 05:50:45 AM »

So far I mostly showed gifs and screenshots of my game and I thought it is time to also share some behind-the-scenes stuff. As some of you may or may not know, Raidborn's levels get generated on runtime. Something I realized while developing was that there are a few difficulties with level design, that are unique to level generation. My levels need to spawn a lot of different stuff like enemy spawns, traps, items, loot, quest objects, and so on, which are also deeply connected with the balance of the game. I mean if a room has level 1 or level 3 enemies, or if there is high level or low-level loot makes a lot of difference and exactly this is a huge problem with randomly generated levels. How do you keep track of all those values and how do you ensure that enough spawns are available etc.

That's especially difficult if you have a lot of different mechanics going on (for example for fetch quests you need special item spawns). In a normal handmade level, it's no big deal to keep track of those objects and you can basically count them in the editor, but you can't check the endless variants your level generator can generate. Also when you are placing the mentioned spawns for the generator to make use of, you usually always do it without the context of the rest of the level, because that does only exist on runtime after the level got generated.

In this post here I would like to show you my solution to the mentioned problem. To fully understand it it is important to know that Raidborn's level generation engine gets fed with different tiles, which then get connected randomly, and for each of those tiles I need to ensure that enough spawns of the correct type are available (e.g the boss/end tile needs more and higher-level enemy spawns than other tiles).

The first step to solve the issue, which also applies to normal hand-made levels, is to set up guidelines. That means that you need to answer questions like:
  • How much loot should a certain tile type have?
  • How much loot should be in a dungeon?
  • How many enemies spawn in a certain tile type?
  • What enemies spawn in a certain tile type?

There are much more questions like that of course, but I guess you know what I mean now, but the question still remains. How can you ensure those guidelines are met. Of course, you can do it manually but as you can't check every variation it becomes slightly superficial, furthermore, it is extremely tedious AND time-consuming, and to make matters worse it also is very error-prone.

To get around all those issues I created a smart tool, which I call "tile guardian" and which can solve exactly this problem for me. So how does this work you may wonder? As you can see below the tile guardian shows me all the stats I need to know about the tile. Are there enough enemy spawns, enough traps, player respawn points, etc. The required values get injected into the tool by creating a guidelines config file, which I then fed the tile guardian with.

You may wonder how the tool knows those numbers. Well of course I can't display the stats of all tile variations at once, that's impossible, but I can display the stats of the worst possible tile, and that's exactly what the tool does, it internally iterates through all possible variations finding the one with the worst rating and displaying its stats, but it gets even better. As you can see there is a "Spawn worst" button on some columns and it does exactly what it says it generates the worst possible variation of that particular guideline, which then allows me to make edits to that variation, or better said the spawns, so the problem gets resolved.

I have to admit that I am pretty proud of the system and that it also is really powerful. Honestly, before I made it I got quite some headache when I was thinking about keeping track of my spawns etc. It seemed like an impossible task and I feared my levels would going to be weird and unbalanced because of it but with this super powerful tool it's a breeze to ensure the balance of my tiles and to prevent myself from making mistakes.

I hope you learned something from this and that you find it interesting and I am really amazed that I was even able to create it, to be honest. Seems my coding skills a slowly getting better  Cheesy

Alain
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: April 01, 2021, 11:03:14 PM »

This was a great read and definitely food for thought for me. I should take the time and make something exactly like your tile guardian to explore the "extremes" of my procedural generation. Thank you for sharing this idea!

Phodex Games
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: April 02, 2021, 04:34:37 AM »

This was a great read and definitely food for thought for me. I should take the time and make something exactly like your tile guardian to explore the "extremes" of my procedural generation. Thank you for sharing this idea!

Stop stealing my stuff  Who, Me?! Just kidding  Cheesy glad to hear it can be of use for you. It's always great to come up with automations that make life easier for you because that often also means your game gets better in the end, as it prevents errors and allows you to spend more time on other things.

Phodex Games
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: April 06, 2021, 06:31:56 AM »

This shows a loot mechanic I implemented. Nothing special, but I think it looks pretty cool. What do you think?

Phodex Games
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: April 07, 2021, 06:42:29 AM »

Two new screenshots from Raidborn. The first shows the player fighting two goblins that were mining some gems, the second shows goblins relaxing at a campfire in a goblin town. What do you think about it?

Alain
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: April 07, 2021, 11:39:52 PM »

This shows a loot mechanic I implemented. Nothing special, but I think it looks pretty cool. What do you think?
This is juicy! Maybe you could experiment with an explosion of smaller yellow particles right after the opening animation for maximum satisfaction Wink

Phodex Games
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: April 08, 2021, 05:55:40 AM »

This is juicy! Maybe you could experiment with an explosion of smaller yellow particles right after the opening animation for maximum satisfaction Wink

Yeah, good idea, but I probably will change this mechanic, because I recently made some more or less major changes to some game mechanics and now chests also need to drop all sorts of items, like torches, lockpicks, potions, etc and the gold orbs don't make sense anymore. I also noticed it is a bit annoying when playing to wait for the loot orbs to drop. So for convenience, I will probably make the chest opening a bit more conventional. The other mechanic with the treasure cross will stay though Smiley

Alain
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: April 08, 2021, 11:35:19 PM »

I see! I was wondering: will the tresure cross always be visible or only when you have found a certain map or something like that?

Phodex Games
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: April 09, 2021, 12:23:16 AM »

I see! I was wondering: will the tresure cross always be visible or only when you have found a certain map or something like that?

It is meant to be placed at hidden spots in exterior levels and you will need a shovel or something to dig it out. But your idea sounds cool as well. I had a similar idea that you find teasure maps as loot which spawn a new special dungeon on your map. That would be cool, but I'll see.

Thx for your input Smiley

Phodex Games
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: April 09, 2021, 06:35:17 AM »

A new Devlog is here! This time I will show you the new pet selection system I build, how and why I improved the player revive system, how a simple trick helped me multiplying my level variety, and some smaller features I added.

Alain
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: April 11, 2021, 11:06:27 PM »

You can never go wrong with pets Smiley I'm curious: In case you keep them, can you say what mechanics you have planned for them? I think it is crucial that they are an actual support and the player is always happy they are around. For example, I decided the companion in my game to be invulnerable, following you around and debuffing enemies once in a while. I wonder how you are doing things on this front.

Phodex Games
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: April 12, 2021, 01:26:07 AM »

You can never go wrong with pets Smiley I'm curious: In case you keep them, can you say what mechanics you have planned for them? I think it is crucial that they are an actual support and the player is always happy they are around. For example, I decided the companion in my game to be invulnerable, following you around and debuffing enemies once in a while. I wonder how you are doing things on this front.

Sure. So far I only had three simple pets planned, but I guess if I will really keep it I will build upon that. A wolf, a rabbit, and a bear, all with different stats and behaviors. The wolf, for example, is pretty fast but hasn't that much health, the rabbit, on the other hand, can't fight at all, but find treasures for you in the dungeon. What all, pets have in common is that you can control them. That means tell them where to go and who to attack. They also react to the player sneaking, by coming really close. But it would also be cool if the pets had a larger variety of skills, like the debuff you mentioned. Someone from the community once suggested that I could add pet armors, which I think would be really fun if you could upgrade your pets, because I think it increased the bond between the player and pet.

In Raidborn, the pets can actually die, but you can revive them with the same revive potions the player can use as well. Should you have no potion they will permanently die, but you can buy a new one, but I'll have a different appearance and name. Most of this is already in the game, though I doubt it works at the moment because I made this stuff many months ago and so much has changed.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 01:31:58 AM by Phodex Games » Logged

Alain
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: April 12, 2021, 09:56:13 AM »

Nice, this sounds like a quite elaborate system already! Thanks for elaborating.

One thing that comes to my mind is that there are some people who get really attached to their pets. I would totally grind for super rare ingredients to revive my old wolf instead of getting a new one. But this is just me spitting my ideas your way to give you more work, I am sure it is totally fine if pets can die permanently.

Phodex Games
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: April 12, 2021, 01:34:50 PM »

Nice, this sounds like a quite elaborate system already! Thanks for elaborating.

One thing that comes to my mind is that there are some people who get really attached to their pets. I would totally grind for super rare ingredients to revive my old wolf instead of getting a new one. But this is just me spitting my ideas your way to give you more work, I am sure it is totally fine if pets can die permanently.

You know that they can die permanently is exactly the thing that attaches you to them. That way you really take care of them and it makes for some thrilling situations where your pet nearly died when you had no potion left or something. It may also force the player to decide if he is using the revive potion himself, or for the pet.

The most badass thing would be if you could go to a necromancer, who resurrects your dead pet, which then becomes an undead version of the old pet xD, but I will probably am not going to push it that far.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic