Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 04:49:21 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessResearching the Target Audience
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Researching the Target Audience  (Read 3029 times)
moonmoonmark
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: December 20, 2020, 01:03:41 AM »

Hi all! I have a question, maybe somebody here can help me.
I've been watching lots of indie-game-marketing videos over the last few weeks (I think we've all been there) -- and one of them is about finding your "target audience"

I wanted to look up what the audience was of some of our references/inspirations/games-that-we-love like Night in the Woods, Life is Strange, Oxenfree, and Frog Detective

The thing is, I can't really find anything about the players of these games, no charts or data. Am I looking in the wrong places? Should I think more creatively about this? (go deeper into forums and what not?)

Thanks in advance, would love to know how some of you did this stuff!

EmmerichSpiel
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2021, 04:11:56 PM »

Hi, I think the best way to research your target audience is to start off by putting yourself in their perspective. In other words, ask yourself "When/What/How would I play this game?". Then go into demographics of what you think this game would appeal to and then research the target audiences of similar games to see if they reconcile. I'm currently doing the same thing as well. I recently released a mobile game I've been trying to market.

Hope this helps  Smiley
TonyLi
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2021, 06:22:18 PM »

Read/watch Ryan Clark's content on game hooks. This Gamasutra post is a good start. Part of identifying and refining a game's hook is identifying the audience.

You can also use games-stats.com's Steam Marketing Tool to identify popular games in the genre of Night In The Woods, etc. Look up what tags they have in common, and in particular what tags players have added. This will give you an idea of what players think are important about those games.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic