Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1388765 Posts in 66639 Topics- by 59315 Members - Latest Member: VisionaryGames

March 06, 2021, 03:02:50 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSILICON - A 2.5D hand-drawn adventure game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: SILICON - A 2.5D hand-drawn adventure game  (Read 904 times)
Playmocha
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: December 21, 2020, 09:47:19 AM »

SILICON is a hand drawn point and click video game. You are playing as a character with no arms, exploring a strange castle. The game is currently in developement, i'm mixing Japanese ink with digital painting.

Point and click is very good for games focused on stories and art. Amanita Studio and some retro games like Sanitarium and Bad Mojo inspired me to choose the genre.

You will have to explore and learn by yourself what is happening in the game. I'm not telling you where to go, what to do, what to think. Therefore, this game will have mutliple choices about the direction you will choose, the decisions you will take. It means two players won't have the same story.

The main character has no arms. I noticed that video games never have a main character with any disability, there's a lack of diversity. In Silicon, given the absence of arms and hands, some actions will be hard or even impossible to perform, you will have to think like a person without arms.

You are free to interpret who the character is (i never said he or she), as well as what is happening in that caslte, according to your discoveries.

Dev process
All the developement is purely improvisational, this is how i have always worked. I have a general idea of what i want, then i spend days thinking, looking for inspiration and experimenting with the ideas. I don't know how the game will end, i will know on it later.

Firstly, i make a drawing with pencil. This is the sketch where i try, erase, try again. Once i finished my drawing, i put ink over the shapes and paint the shadows. I use ink with a calligraphy brush, that brush is very useful for drawing any kind of shape. I am mainly inspired by the Nihei Tsutomu manga Blame! and Abara, Seung Chun Lim's sculptures, brutalist architecture, Hong Kong slums...

The animations technics are a mix between traditional and modern animation. After the inking, i finish it with digital painting (Photoshop) to add more details, frames... . The animations are made with After Effects.

Regarding the soundtracks, i'm making atmospheric and experimental sounds using Fruity Loops and Kontakt.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 03:09:23 AM by Playmocha » Logged

muki
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2020, 04:39:52 PM »

I love what I'm seeing so far! Following!

The first gif actually did remind me of Blame! The huge brutalist dirty architecture "clump". Glad to see you actually had it in your influences.
Alain
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2020, 12:16:21 AM »

Amazing job so far Playmocha! Your visual style appears elegant and confident and so does the narrative choice of your portagonist. I am intrigued.

marcgfx
Level 7

if you don't comment, who will?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2020, 11:03:50 AM »

Looks promising! What tech will you be using?

Playmocha
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2020, 12:51:57 PM »

Thank you for your comments  ^^

Looks promising! What tech will you be using?

I'm using Visionaire Studio Smiley

Playmocha
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2021, 09:45:12 AM »

I'm making an animated teaser for my game Silicon. Everything is drawn by hand, mixed with digital painting and some computer effects. The coming animations will also be a mix between traditional and modern techniques. This teaser will be used to show the general atmosphere of my game.

I hope to finish it next week.

buto
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2021, 12:59:30 AM »

Looks very cool! Great shot with that gondola lift running towards the terrifying castle!

Alain
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2021, 08:20:02 AM »

Nice, I'm looking forward to the trailer!

Playmocha
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2021, 01:40:46 PM »

I finally finished the first teaser of my game after three weeks of work ^^
I made this video to show the atmosphere i'm creating.
You can watch it on Youtube:

Alain
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2021, 12:37:38 AM »

That's a nice teaser, very atmospheric and unsettling.

Pseudavid
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2021, 11:43:11 AM »

This looks cool! There's a Roland Topor vibe to it, which is not a concept you find yourself using in relation to videogames very often. I will watch this thread.

My interactive fiction is at pseudavid.itch.io

The Master of the Land, 6th in IFcomp 2018. It creates a seemingly dynamic world, gives the player complete agency within that world and then says ‘go
Fuzz Force
Level 0

onwards

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2021, 04:02:18 AM »

Wven from just a few images I can feel the bleak but mysterious atmosphere going on. It's very intriguing
Playmocha
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2021, 03:14:07 AM »

I'm now using Unreal Engine, instead of Visionaire Studio, to turn my 2D game into 2.5D.
This choice is because I wanted a 3D atmosphere, events on Z axis, and the possibility to include more functions.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic