Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1390872 Posts in 66802 Topics- by 59539 Members - Latest Member: PatrickN

April 18, 2021, 09:53:57 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralWhen did you decide a name for your game?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: When did you decide a name for your game?  (Read 591 times)
vivaladav
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: December 29, 2020, 07:19:39 AM »

I have been working on a game for a while and finally I am ready to start to show something, but... my game doesn't have a name yet! Sad

Would you recommend to not show anything until I come up with a name or do you think it doesn't really matter?

At what stage of development did you come up with a name for your game and would you do that differently now?

Creating "Virtueror, the virtual conqueror" (RTS + 4x + RPG)

[TIGS devlog][YouTube devlog][website]
michaelplzno
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2020, 01:41:32 PM »

The definitive thread on names is in this forum:

https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=750.0

I've become a believer that the name can be the most important part of a project. The earlier in the process you can name your game the better imo.

vivaladav
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2020, 04:15:48 PM »

The definitive thread on names is in this forum:

https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=750.0
Thanks, I saw that when I searched for similar threads, but I didn't post there because I am not really looking for feedback on my name (as I don't have any yet).
Also, the thread seems a bit abandoned (shame Sad)

I've become a believer that the name can be the most important part of a project. The earlier in the process you can name your game the better imo.
I totally agree that's important to have a name sooner rather than later, but I have to disagree on considering the name that important.

Would "Tetris" have been less successful if it was called something else like "Blok" or "Konnect"? I don't think so... even if there's no way to find out.

michaelplzno
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2020, 06:04:24 PM »

That which we call a rose would still smell as sweet, even if we called them stench weeds.

It would be difficult to do an objective study of if the name mattered, its a bit like the nature vs nurture question: if you take a kid and raise them differently how would they turn out? Which factors are from birth and which factors are based on environment. Difficult to tell.

I know someone who considered changing his name because he thought his name would ruin his chances of success.

I know of someone who wrote a scientific research paper to bolster her agenda that the mother is the most important factor in how a kid turns out.

Will we ever get to the truth, the world may never know.

ThemsAllTook
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2020, 07:46:06 PM »

Sometimes a name comes to me right around the same time as the concept; sometimes it's not until months later once I've gotten to know the project a bit. I find that once I have the right name, it serves as a helpful focal point for reminding me what the game is about.

There have been times I've shown projects to people before I knew what to call them. It can feel kind of weird sometimes, because someone has formed a relationship with and opinions about my work, and then I end up asking them to call it something different from what it was introduced to them as. Feels to me like it's worth a brainstorming session to come up with the name before showing.

michaelplzno
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2020, 06:48:06 PM »

There is also the great clip I can't find of Tobias Funke talking up the name Funke all over the studio where he is planning to do an audition, and when they ask him his name he says Tobias and they pass instantly.

TacoBell_Lord
Level 2

Burrito Connoisseur

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2021, 08:18:43 PM »

Truly just wait for the name to hit me or something, actually believe naming a project right a way can jynx the project haha

RPG Gamer/Burrito Addict

Explore the Cosmos. Working on Project 88x doods.
Mark Mayers
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2021, 02:29:47 AM »

2012 and it’s now 2021 and I haven’t released it yet lol.

DESOLUS(R) is now a registered trademark at least.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 02:44:31 AM by Mark Mayers » Logged

Desolus Twitter: @DesolusDev Website: http://www.desolus.com DevLog: On TIG!
Mark Mayers
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2021, 02:38:12 AM »

But yea:

-I wanted the name to sound like a Latin word or the name of a Greek Tragedy.
-Solus is the Latin word for alone or by oneself, often used as a stage direction in a play.
-Desolus sounds like Desolate which is indicative of the themes I wanted to convey with the game.
-Sol meaning sun, and “de-“ is a prefix for without or against. The game is about black holes which are dead stars, without light, etc.
-The name is only seven characters and relatively symmetrical, since the center/anchor letter is O. It looks nice from an artistic perspective.
-It’s completely unique with a google/web search and nobody else has taken it. Good for SEO.
-It had a near 100% chance of being approved for a trademark, and it was.

I think the more reasons you have for choosing a specific name the better.

vivaladav
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2021, 06:45:14 AM »

9 years, wow! What's holding you back?

I think the more reasons you have for choosing a specific name the better.
That's a good point actually.
From a marketing point of view it's good to have unique selling points in all you do. It doesn't guarantee anything, but it's better than nothing!

Mark Mayers
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2021, 12:24:49 PM »

9 years, wow! What's holding you back?

I came up with the name before I even started making the game!

Schrompf
Level 8

C++ professional, game dev sparetime

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2021, 02:14:02 AM »

Sometimes I get a catchy name and then dream up what it would play like. Works for game jams only, at least for me. Sometimes I code for ages at some large projects and it's name is placeholder.

From a tactical point of view you can change the game's name whenever you want until you get a serious grip on public attention. Changing the name then will hurt your success.

From a emotional point of view, a suitable name will boost your own morale and make it easier for others to emotionally invest in it. If it says as it plays, your vision stays on point better and people will remember it better. This could very much be the reason why someone sees it through while someone else gives up along the way.

Snake World, multiplayer worm eats stuff and grows DevLog
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic