Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 05:36:03 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsNut Smasher
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Nut Smasher  (Read 826 times)
Kirijo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: December 29, 2020, 10:33:41 AM »

Hello All,

I am trying to bring my silly game, Nut Smasher, to the app store and android store! I will be asking for playtest feedback here and posting updates.

The most recent build is accessible at: kirijo.itch.io/nut-smasher

Currently, I am updating the start screen and game menus!

The start screen was like such before:

After some feedback from my roommate, I have changed it to this:

I would love feedback on how to make the screens look more concise!

I am still working on the "in game" menu, it looks like this after lerping up from the bottom over the frozen gameplay:

I will post more updates as I go along.

Would love both general and specific playtesting feedback so much! I will soon be posting two separate builds to itch.io that utilize screen shake in different ways. Would love to get people's thoughts on what kind of screen shake they like. The downloadable NutSmasher 0.13 is the one to be playtested, not the one that plays in the browser, that is NutSmasher 0.12.

Thanks,
Abby Yaffe
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 10:40:08 AM by Kirijo » Logged
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2020, 12:50:25 PM »

I can only assume that this game is about smashing nuts. Good concept.

Any screens or gifs of actual nut smashing action yet?
Kirijo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2020, 10:09:36 AM »

The "gameplay" is actually pretty much done! It is a very simple "loop," just hitting nuts that pass by on a conveyer belt over and over, and then the type you hit is displayed as your "score" in the background. I am currently in the process of coding/hooking up menus to different functionality and doing something "special" with how the score is displayed so that the game can be infinite.

You can playtest it at kirijo.itch.io/nut-smasher

I think the gameplay is better shown off in video so I quickly uploaded some footage to youtube. Sorry for no sound, for some reason the mac screen recording tool doesn't do video sound, but I am very happy with the SFX in the game. If you want to see the sound, go to the itch link!
Video of gameplay & menus:

But here are the gameplay screenshots:

Here is the updated title screen as well:

Still looking for playtesters!
Again, the build to be playtested at the itch link is the downloadable NutSmasher 0.13, not the one that plays in the browser.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 11:05:01 AM by Kirijo » Logged
Ramos
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2020, 10:38:12 AM »

When I read the title and saw the first menu images, it gave me a strong dark web vibe.  Cool

Do you plan on expanding this concept or just leave it standard?

Kirijo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2020, 10:46:25 AM »

Dark Web is definitely a way to describe it that I couldn't remember that felt like was the ideal description, somehow missing from my brain. My professors keep calling it "80s" but that isn't the goal for this at all, in all honesty. I think they just say that because of the mechanic simplicity and the pixel shader.

My current goal is to get it onto the App Store, Android Store, and Steam (in that order) ASAP, then I will roll out "modes" that can be chosen to play via the title screen. There won't be a ton of iteration on mechanic, per say, but definitely iteration on concept. The current mode is "Nut Smasher: Infinut", sort of a joke, not really a joke.

The reason I don't want to change the mechanics is because, in all honesty, this is a game about the ascetic nature of going vegan during the covid-19 isolation time. A lot of people think it's about emasculation, and if people want to read that into it, sure! It's called Nut Smasher, for god's sake, that's impossible to talk myself out of! But in reality it is about the feeling of being a monkey smashing a nut to get the protein in every day, over and over. It is a game about MONOTONY.
Ramos
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2020, 11:29:01 AM »

App Store and Android store are good approaches for this type of game, although for Steam might be a bit tricky since the game is too simplistic for that audience but there is a small shot people find this apealing as they did with sheep simulator.

" is a game about MONOTONY." - then you totally nailled it

This been said I still like the Dark web vibe from it.

Good luck
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 12:30:34 PM by Ramos » Logged

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2020, 01:21:49 PM »

The aesthetic has this 90s pre-rendered CGI vibe to it and I love it

The reason I don't want to change the mechanics is because, in all honesty, this is a game about the ascetic nature of going vegan during the covid-19 isolation time. A lot of people think it's about emasculation, and if people want to read that into it, sure! It's called Nut Smasher, for god's sake, that's impossible to talk myself out of! But in reality it is about the feeling of being a monkey smashing a nut to get the protein in every day, over and over. It is a game about MONOTONY.
I love everything about this
Kirijo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2021, 10:39:57 AM »

Hello all,

This is a devlog to announce that Nut Smasher, in ideally the next week, will be on the App Store!

I have been playtesting through test flight with some close friends, am currently looking for a broader reach of playtesters to download the early versions of Nut Smashers onto their mobile apple devices.

Below is insight into how the game currently looks.

The start screen, which had buttons that I got rid of, due to not wanting to encounter bugs on these menus... will add more features in future updates:

Gameplay, in the early part of the game:

The game is great while being played, as the sounds, screen-shake, and haptics are a big addition to the "juice" experience.

Let me know if you want to playtest.

Thanks,
Abby Yaffe
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic