Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:37:55 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCIPHERCELL - A Minimalist Logic Puzzle Game
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: CIPHERCELL - A Minimalist Logic Puzzle Game  (Read 4272 times)
Game Genesis
Level 0

Indie game developer.

View Profile WWW
« on: January 01, 2021, 10:00:14 AM »

________
STEAM PAGE

The Steam page for CIPHERCELL is available: Click the first link!

Hand Point Right Wishlist the game Hand Point Left
Play the Demo
________
ABOUT THE GAME

CIPHERCELL is a minimalist logic puzzle game where you slide cells together to perform arithmetic, with the objective of getting the last cell to zero.

Larger numbers subtract smaller numbers when slid in that order. Conversely, smaller numbers get added to larger numbers. Equal numbers cancel each other out.

How the game works:

Larger --> Smaller = Subtract
Smaller --> Larger = Add
Two cells with the same number will Cancel Out

I've been working on this game in my free time since the end of November (2020), and I'm planning to have it finished sometime early 2021 (around April or May).

Follow me on Twitter to stay updated
Wishlist the game on Steam

Screenshots

Trailer

CIPHERCELL is still a WIP, so any feedback is appreciated! Thanks for reading!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 10:43:39 AM by Game Genesis » Logged

Ciphercell: Wishlist On Steam | Devlog | Demo
Game Genesis
Level 0

Indie game developer.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2021, 09:44:15 AM »

Devlog #0 - What I've done so far (Part A)

For the first two weeks or so, I was just coming up with the basic mechanics and refining the controls.

I got the drag input working, and made the cells detect other cells. After that, I made them move and destroy the cell that they collided with. Finally, I implemented the math mechanics, and that was the basic gameplay done..

I also implemented immovable cells, but I later removed them as they added no substance or challenge to the game. (Light blue cells below)

I added a win and lose condition, a main menu button, and a restart button. Finally, I made a couple of levels to test if it was actually fun, and to my pleasant surprise, I was absolutely addicted and couldn't stop playing.

This was a gif of the game after this progress

Game Genesis
Level 0

Indie game developer.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2021, 12:09:29 PM »

Devlog #0 - What I've done so far (Part B)

After implementing the basic gameplay, I proceeded to start working on the main menu and the settings menu.

The main menu was simple, with a title and three buttons. The settings menu, on the other hand, took a bit more time. I had never done a proper settings menu before, so I had to research some things beforehand. To my surprise, it actually didn't take as long as I was expecting to get everything done. I'm not much of a UI person myself, so I find it quite difficult to work on menus for an extended period of time.

I also created an Audio Manager to make it easy for me to implement audio later. I did overengineer it a lot, but the upside is that it's reusable in future projects. Audio is definitely not my strong point, so whatever I can do to make the process easier is a massive plus.

The menus did look absolutely terrible, but I was really trying to finish them without worrying about the art too much.

Game Genesis
Level 0

Indie game developer.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2021, 12:23:13 PM »

Devlog #1 - Implementing a Colour Theme System

After seeing the catastrophe of a colour scheme I had implemented so far, I started trying out different colour palettes that could work. After about an hour, I had only gone through a couple of choices, and it was becoming really tedious to change the colour of every single button, toggle, slider, and text component of the game.

Therefore, I decided that I would make a tool to make this easier. I made a script that I would put on every UI component, and I could designate each component as Background, Foreground, Accent, or Other. I made a manager script that I would place in each scene where I could chose which colour theme template I wanted, and it would automatically apply it to the entire scene.

Modifying a Theme

Changing Theme Presets

kevin andersson
Level 1

Producer/ Designer by day and Programmer by night

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2021, 12:19:41 PM »

I think this looks great, how do you create the levels? Manually or generated?

Game Genesis
Level 0

Indie game developer.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2021, 12:09:36 PM »

Thank you! I'm planning to make all the levels by hand

Game Genesis
Level 0

Indie game developer.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2021, 09:21:20 AM »

Devlog #2 - Undo and Scene Transitions

So far, if you made a mistake or moved the wrong cell, you had to restart the entire level.  So, I started working on an undo system.

I didn't want to be able to undo every move, mostly because it would be harder to implement, but also because the puzzles are very small, so it's easier to just restart.

To implement an undo system, I had to store a couple things about the cells like the cell's last position, the number before collision, and the number of the cell collided with. I had to save all the information, and then recall and apply it when the undo button is pressed. After implementing the system, I had to implement the button. I made it to where it's only interactable if you had already made a move, and had not pressed the button.

Once the undo button was finished, I started working on the scene transitions and a scene manager. I made the system reusable and customizable so it would be easy for me to change the transitions in the future.

I also enlarged the game scene so that it would take up a larger area of the  scene.

Game Genesis
Level 0

Indie game developer.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2021, 01:35:29 PM »

Devlog #3 - Settings Menu and a Buggy Mess

A couple weeks ago, I implemented a settings menu, but there was still no saving and loading. So I got to work on that.

It honestly took way longer than expected to implement a save and load system for the settings menu. I had so many little issues, especially with the resolution dropdown. I wanted the ability to change the resolution, but only when the game is in windowed mode, so I had to find a way to lock the resolution to the highest setting/native resolution on fullscreen, and then reapply the previously selected resolution when switching back to windowed mode.

After many hours, only switching to fullscreen worked in switching the resolution, but going to windowed mode didn't do anything. Then, I played around with the code for anther hour or two until it finally worked both ways. Unfortunately, that wasn't the end of my troubles. Upon leaving the settings menu, and going back, the resolution dropdown didn't save. After many more hours, I finally got everything to save, but now switching to windowed mode without going back to the main menu broke it. A long while later, and finally, everything seemed to work.

I built the game to test everything, and no surprise, fullscreen wouldn't work; it would stay in windowed mode, but at max resolution. I spent a full two days on that issue, but still, until now, I haven't solved the problem. Amazingly, every time I tried to fix a bug, two or three more would pop up.

Also, I removed the graphics settings because it was pretty obsolete.

All in all, it took over a week to implement everything and fix most of the bugs. It's pretty incredible how most of the gameplay took me around two days to implement, and the settings menu took over a week, and there's still problems. That's game dev for you!

Game Genesis
Level 0

Indie game developer.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2021, 12:09:42 PM »

Devlog #4 - Polish & Effects

This week, I worked on polishing the experience, and adding animations and effects.

First, I removed the next level button, so it automatically transitions to the next level upon completion. Next, I reworked the undo and restart buttons to be disabled when the level is won. I also had the restart button disabled until a move was made.

I also worked on cleaning up the code; separating out things, and making things more reusable.

Then, I started working on the effects: When the level was completed, a burst of particles would fly out of the last cell. I'm not too great with particle effects, but it didn't turn out too bad. After that, I made the last cell white and then fade back to normal after winning the level. I also wanted to add impact to every move, so I made a growing outline effect that would be spawned on every collision. After sorting out all the bugs with the undo breaking the animation, I got everything working, and the game felt way better to play.

Here's the final result (I removed the UI for demonstration):

You can clearly see a difference over the previous iteration:

Game Genesis
Level 0

Indie game developer.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2021, 05:46:08 PM »

Devlog #5 - Level Select & Scene Management

I've had less time to work on the game recently, but I still managed to get a couple things done.

First, I worked on implementing a better menu and scene system. Instead of having scene management code in multiple scripts, I centralized all the scene management functions in one manager class. I also made a menu manager containing all the menu functions.

Another thing I worked on was a level select screen. I plan to have a system which consists of multiple sets of levels, each containing around 20 levels. You unlock a set once you complete a specific number of levels in the previous set (maybe 15/20). All levels in an unlocked set are themselves unlocked, so you can play any level within a set without needing to win the previous levels.

For now, I worked on the basic level select system without worrying too much about the sets. It's a simple system that automatically assigns each button's click event in a group to the corresponding scene/level.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2021, 12:35:56 AM »

Cool, taking some aspects of 2048 and making it a proper puzzle game! Smiley
Game Genesis
Level 0

Indie game developer.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2021, 08:51:31 AM »

Cool, taking some aspects of 2048 and making it a proper puzzle game! Smiley

Thank you! You got that right Wink

Game Genesis
Level 0

Indie game developer.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2021, 03:43:03 PM »

Devlog #5 - More Levels & Themes

Lately, I've been working towards getting a polished demo of the game, so I went about designing some levels that will be included. I managed to get around 10 levels in total, with many more in backlog.

I also managed to get some decent themes, so now I have around 10 in total. I'm planning to have each set of levels use a different theme.

I'm also working on getting the Steam and Itch.io store pages ready, and hopefully the steam page will be up soon.

And that's pretty much it.

Here are some of the new levels showcased with the new themes:

Game Genesis
Level 0

Indie game developer.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2021, 02:42:46 PM »

IMPORTANT: STEAM PAGE IS LIVE

The Steam page for CIPHERCELL is now LIVE!

Check out the game and give it a Wishlist: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1527650/CIPHERCELL/

Please help by sharing the news! Thank you ALL for your amazing support!!

Game Genesis
Level 0

Indie game developer.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2021, 01:06:34 PM »

Devlog #6 - Settings Menu, Level Select & Polish

These past few weeks, I've been focusing more on level design, the Steam page, and preparing the Itch demo, but I have made a lot of changes.

First, I completely overhauled the old settings menu, replacing it with a simpler and cleaner look. Instead of sliders and dropdowns, there are now way more intuitive button-controlled settings.

In addition to that, there wasn't any cohesion between any of the menus; some had bigger buttons, some icons, some small text, others large, etc. So, I went through all the menus and fixed the formatting.

I also changed many text buttons for icon buttons to improve the aesthetic and make the game more universally understandable.

The level select also got an overhaul, now having different sets to select from.

New Settings Menu:

New Main Menu:

New Level Select:

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2021, 12:12:05 AM »

Very clean, nice!
Game Genesis
Level 0

Indie game developer.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2021, 08:22:35 AM »

Very clean, nice!

Thank you Smiley

Game Genesis
Level 0

Indie game developer.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2021, 12:10:48 PM »

CIPHERCELL Announcement Trailer

The Steam Announcement Trailer is here!

Hand Point Right Wishlist on Steam Hand Point Left

The demo for the game will be coming soon, so stick around!

Game Genesis
Level 0

Indie game developer.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2021, 07:39:23 AM »

Devlog #7: Audio, Polish & Gameplay Showcase

Game polish is something I've been focusing on recently, and I managed to do a couple of other things these last few weeks as well.

First, I went about finally adding audio to the game! I had already made a custom audio manager, so it wasn't that hard implementing the audio! For the audio itself, I got some effects from various audio libraries I've collected on my computer and combined and altered them in Audacity.  I also put an ambient track in the game.

I also changed a lot of the text buttons to icon buttons and added a colour highlight effect to the buttons' click event that is compatible with the custom theme system I had created. I also restructured the button layout so only the restart and undo buttons are on the bottom. As well as the button highlight effect, I also added keyboard events that go with the buttons, like escape for back, "R" to restart, etc.

Here's some gameplay footage:

In addition to that, I implemented transitions within scenes for the settings menu. Another thing I did was to add a simple drag tutorial pointer on the first level. I've been experimenting with a border for the game, but I'm not sure if I want to keep it. If you have any suggestions, leave them below!

I also ran across some bugs along the way Wink

If you're interested in the game, make sure to WISHLIST to be notified of release

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2021, 07:57:42 AM »

Soothing audio, very appropriate for the setting
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic