Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 11:35:59 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingVR + pancake local co-op shadow platformer prototype
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: VR + pancake local co-op shadow platformer prototype  (Read 733 times)
Ripityom
Level 0

View Profile
« on: January 07, 2021, 04:03:24 AM »

I created this prototype for the hungarian One Game A Month challenge in a month, but figured this shadow-based mechanic seen in some games like Contrast could be worth more exploration in VR as you have finer control over where you want to place shadow casting objects. What do you think?

One player controls the shadow-like character using keyboard, the other player can move the shadow casting objects around in VR. Shadows top colliding with the character while the casting object is being held by the VR player.

I appreciate if you have a minute to try it (only Oculus headset is supported for now):

https://ripityom.itch.io/vr-shadow-platformer

If you can't play it yourself here's the full gameplay:

« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 05:03:21 AM by Ripityom » Logged
mobilelast
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2021, 03:13:43 PM »

Extremely interesting take on physics-based games. This could be marketed as the real 2.5D. Out of curiosity, can you move objects while the 2D-character is standing on them?

Consider making a version for mouse and keyboard. Even a limited one. I want to test Sad

Avaruustaistelupeli (ATP) - a space combat game
- Free download from itch.io or IndieDB
- Dev diary here
Ripityom
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2021, 07:34:03 AM »

Hi!

Thanks for the reply.

can you move objects while the 2D-character is standing on them?

No, when you grab an object it's shadow becomes lighter in color indicating that the character does not collide with it. I made this decision for two reasons: it would be quite tricky to implement reliable collisions between the character and grabbed objects, and also most of the levels could be solved by simply transporting the character to the exit.
hapsi
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2021, 01:11:45 AM »

This is an unique idea (i think), and a good one. We need new ideas and people to finish them since all the normal ideas are done millions of times.

I hope you can make something out of this  Coffee
Ripityom
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2021, 07:54:11 AM »

Thank you Smiley
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic