Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 11:55:36 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingDeathless Hyperion, a Blake Stone-inspired horror FPS
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Deathless Hyperion, a Blake Stone-inspired horror FPS  (Read 1364 times)
FrankieSmileShow
Level 6

OOOOOH! >:O

View Profile WWW
« on: January 08, 2021, 09:37:28 AM »

This is a horror first-person shooter project I started years ago during a 7 day FPS game jam, and just dusted it off over the holidays to make it into a proper game. Id appreciate feedback on it!

Get the game here:
https://frankiesmileshow.itch.io/deathless-hyperion

The game is inspired of my distorted memories of playing Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold as an impressionable 6 year old, and being terrified of it.

Play the game today and you realize it wasnt really all that scary, it wasnt even really trying to be, but it was a lot to a 6 year old. Wanted to make a game that felt like Blake Stone did! Other elements inspired from it are the very detailed, kind of overwhelming HUD with information about items and enemies.

My game as it stands now needs some more monsters, some better monster sounds, and more atmospheric sounds especially. Design wise it also needs better ways for the player to orient themselves, its a bit too easy to get lost in the station right now. Id probably add some station maps on some walls to help the player visualize the larger scope of the game world a bit better.

This is really my very first 3d game, so id appreciate feedback on 3d-specific stuff especially, but any feedback is appreciated!

Al.Bundy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2021, 04:44:53 AM »

As a fps fan I will take a look at this one.

Quickly what I can say is :

pro :

-nice style and color (EGA colors style I guess).
-simple but nice animations.

cons :

-mouse maniability is not good and it's difficult to choose betweens the differents keys combinaison.
-the backdrops in space are not in pixel art.
-you can shoot throught somes walls.

Well this look good there is somes littles bugs but this is not a huge probleme .

I like to play the game but in my opinion It looks more like an atmosphere game than a real fps and it's not really my style of game, but despite everything I found the game pleasant although a little repetitive.

mobilelast
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2021, 02:55:32 PM »

Surprisingly polished combination of retro and modern stuff with remarkably unique atmosphere (I'm not familiar with Blake Stone, so I cannot make comparisons). Very moody soundtrack that follows game events fluently; I especially liked the piano loop. Also, diminishing viewport is nice and fresh way to indicate lighting.

Some minor issues:
- Menu seems strange without mouse cursor.
- Hopefully there will be more/longer music clips, since, for now, they get quite repetitive.
- Tilting of the view keeps centering, which feels odd. It sometimes also makes it hard to read the topmost texts of the terminals.

For me, the atmosphere is this game's greatest strength. I didn't pay much attention to map or items I collected (except when I ran out of ammo). What about just making mazes extremely complex (procedural, perhaps) and taking player somewhere deeper and darker step by step without clear goals?

Avaruustaistelupeli (ATP) - a space combat game
- Free download from itch.io or IndieDB
- Dev diary here
jbarrios
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2021, 08:52:49 AM »

Hi FrankieSmileShow,

I played your game and recorded my thoughts:

rayharry
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2021, 12:09:54 AM »

Wow! Really digging those graphics and art style! :D Definitely reminds me of the old skool shooters!

EDIT: Just played a quick round of the game and found it to be surprisingly solid experience. I really like the amount of detail and features that you've been able to put into the game. The enemies felt a bit weak, but I guess you don't want the game to be too hard.

Really digging that art style, it gave me a real sense of dread and also reminded me of Episode 2 of Duke Nukem 3D, where there were lots of atmospheric space station locations.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 12:25:07 AM by rayharry » Logged

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic