Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411478 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58424 Members - Latest Member: FlyingFreeStudios

April 23, 2024, 06:38:14 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsJetscout: Boot Camp
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Jetscout: Boot Camp  (Read 1012 times)
dustinaux
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: January 15, 2021, 01:37:12 PM »

Edit Feb 24th, 2021: Jetscout: Boot Camp is now released! Steam Google Play iOS App Store

Jetscout: Boot Camp is a companion game to the recently released Jetpack-based platformer Jetscout: Mystery of the Valunians (MotV), which is a full, premium game on PC, Android, and iOS for $4.99 with no ads or IAP.

Jetscout: Boot Camp will be an completely free game with no ads or IAP, and will provide a small, 3-mission demo-like experience to allow players to try out a Jetscout game for free. The launch of the premium MotV fell very flat, with near zero interest from players or press, likely due to no interest in this genre. Players that do play it however have been very surprised at the level of quality and enjoyment the game provides, so it's necessary to include this free companion app to draw interest.

Boot Camp is not just a generic demo of just a single duplicate mission from the premium game, but instead has 3 unique missions of easy, medium, and hard difficulties.

Jetscout: Boot Camp has the theme of the being a software simulation called JETS (Jetscout Essential Training Simulation). When the player is ready, they can select a button in-game to embark on their first real Jetscout mission, and be directed to the appropriate app store to view and hopefully purchase Jetscout: Mystery of the Valunians.

Navigating a section of the first easy mission of Boot Camp

Since the underlying engine is complete already, the development of Boot Camp almost entirely consists of just creating new mission content like art, new hazards, level design, and music, so development should move relatively quickly.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 07:04:58 AM by dustinaux » Logged

Come see what I'm working on!

dustinaux
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2021, 09:17:21 PM »

Currently working on the second level - here's a giant mushroom hazard!

Get too close and the spore blast will blow you into a wall!

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2021, 12:25:06 AM »

I love that mushroom animation. Somehow I can't stop watching the loop Wink

dustinaux
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2021, 02:28:34 PM »

I love that mushroom animation. Somehow I can't stop watching the loop Wink

Thanks! It's a fun effect but took a while to animate.

------------------------

Today I finished the ad part of the game - after all the main purpose is to get players interested in buying Jetscout: Mystery of the Valunians.

On the mission select screen there will be this button on the bottom that leads to an ad window:

The ad scrolls through about 12 different screenshots of MotV, and the buy button will link to the store page on steam, iOS app store, or Google Play depending on the platform.

With this update I've updated the percent complete to 40%. I have a few more updates to the second mission and it will be finished as well. I plan to get a store page for Boot Camp up on steam soon.

dustinaux
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2021, 03:22:56 PM »

A screenshot from the finished second mission, with giant mushrooms that push you into walls with their spore clouds and another plant that shoots single thorns that follow a gravity-affected path.

DevLog% now at 50%!

dustinaux
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2021, 06:27:57 PM »

Dodging some deadly rolling boulders in the final hard mission:

All three planets in Boot Camp are now completed!  Grin Hand Thumbs Up Right

Dev log percentage now at 80% as I focus on some final touches, testing, and store pages.

dustinaux
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2021, 12:41:00 PM »

Jetscout: Boot Camp now has a coming soon page on Steam!

I've also finished a trailer for the game:

DevLog now at 90% as I just finish up achievements in game, do some testing, and publish store pages for Android and iOS as well.

dustinaux
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2021, 07:06:14 AM »

Jetscout: Boot Camp is now released! Steam Google Play iOS App Store

Smiley Toast Right

bram_dingelstad
Level 0

Always up for a chat!

View Profile WWW