Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411476 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58424 Members - Latest Member: FlyingFreeStudios

April 23, 2024, 03:38:09 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingSuper Fox - A fun platformer microgame
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Super Fox - A fun platformer microgame  (Read 1536 times)
bluelion27
Level 0

View Profile
« on: January 16, 2021, 08:20:47 AM »

Hello everyone,
I started game development in unity 3 weeks ago. and here is my first creation. It's a simple yet fun level of a platformer.

here is the link to my game: https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/777748
It is playable directly on web browser

I'd love to get your feedback on the following:
- Camera
- Character movement and feel
- Fun factor
- Any constructive critisism is welcome

Thanks
geo
Level 0

Indie dev from Austria (kamgam.com)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2021, 04:02:00 PM »

Hi,
just played your game and left a comment on newgrounds. I beat level 1 Smiley

Since I can not add images there here are two I made with some comments:

The story exposition character at the start seems familiar. Haven't I seen that one before :D. It is quite recognizeable. Where is it from?

Imho it would be better for immersion to not start on a platform. The whole setup (with the tree and the house) looks like it is a village, wouldn't that be on solid ground? Of course I am just nitpicking here but I think it would add to the mood (village = home, asafe place, solid VS out there = unsafe, platforms, falling a lot). The first impression is the most important. Also (if you find the time) please consider making a rock or something to the left at the start. Invisible walls are a real immersion breaker (though that push animation is very nice).

One hint: if you want people to play your game here then adding a tiny blurry image is not really that enticing. Make it big Wink

Thanks for making this and best of luck.

Find out more about me and my games on https://kamgam.com
mobilelast
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2021, 03:56:30 PM »

Technically nice work, not much to complain here. I'm not very much into platformers, but enjoyed quite a lot.

- Camera: Some blind jumps but nothing fundamentally problematic. It's quite common problem that the player cannot see what's below and just has to memorize and guess. There are couple of GDC-presentations (among tons of other resources, naturally) that may give ideas for juicing up and polishing the camera:

- Character movement: Maybe it's just me, but it's weirdly difficult to land jumps on targets. Perhaps you could use acceleration instead of controlling the movement directly. This would give player finer control to the character.
- Although the arrow keys add retro-feel, I miss WASD-controls.

When playing Super Marios and other pinnacles of the genre, it is easy to overlook how hard it is to get the camera movement and controls right. But this one is a fine basis to build at. Keep up the good work!

Avaruustaistelupeli (ATP) - a space combat game
- Free download from itch.io or IndieDB
- Dev diary here
lianguage
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2021, 04:34:09 PM »

lol I don't know if it was intentional, but with the hearts mechanic and being thrown back after taking damage with no temporary invincibility timer(like sonic for example) means that sometimes if theres 2 enemies near each other you go into a bounce loop that leads to instant death...

I've only played for maybe 5 minutes and it feels like a less polished version of mario or sonic I guess. Less variety of enemies and movement is not as interesting.

I think the most interesting thing was how enemies would be killed by jumps where sometimes it seemed like I could kill them while going upwards which was kinda fun (expected it to only happen on the way down like in other games), but the problem is that killing enemies doesn't do anything interesting so I stopped after doing it a few times.
bluelion27
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2021, 10:29:51 PM »

Thank you all for your interesting feedback

@geo => this game is built using free assets, here is the link to the guy in the hood https://liats.itch.io/hoodguy

I'm currently working on a new game with a bit larger scale, I will be sure to take all your remarks into account.

jbarrios
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2021, 11:28:11 AM »

Hi bluelion27,

I played your game and recorded my thoughts:

geo
Level 0

Indie dev from Austria (kamgam.com)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2021, 03:58:22 PM »

@geo => this game is built using free assets, here is the link to the guy in the hood https://liats.itch.io/hoodguy

Oh thank you for the link, I was curious about art. Reading my comment again now it kinda sounds a bit like I am calling you out for using free art assets. Just wanted to let you know that was not my intention. I use lots of assets too. Hope my feedback on newgrounds was helpful. Keep at it!  Smiley

Find out more about me and my games on https://kamgam.com
bluelion27
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2021, 11:17:23 AM »

Waw @jbarrios thanks a lot!!!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic