Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411425 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 08:40:55 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Baneshifter (first person dungeon crawler)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Author Topic: The Baneshifter (first person dungeon crawler)  (Read 7845 times)
assemblerbot
Level 0

Game dev in Unity / C# / LUA / whatever :-D

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: March 08, 2022, 01:19:08 PM »

=== Update 12 - Ambient lighting ===

Hello everyone,
I've started to work on decorations, lighting and everything that makes the game visually a bit more attractive.

A lighting system was the first item on my list. For Unity developers among you - I finally switched from built-in render pipeline to Universal render pipeline. That alone improved rendering speed significantly (now the main rendering runs in single pass instead of pass per light). The only drawback is limited number of active lights in the scene. I wanted to limit them anyway, so I've implemented dynamic ambient lighting system similar to the one the Minecraft has.

I'm happy with the result. Now it doesn't matter how many lights are on the scene, performance is almost the same. There are 1200 torches on the video  Wink

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 09, 2022, 01:27:25 AM »

Nice!

It feels a bit odd that a huge burning barrel gives off less light than a big torch though
assemblerbot
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: March 09, 2022, 11:52:03 PM »

Thank you for feedback. You are right! I've already fixed that Smiley

vdapps
Level 5

Head against wall since 2013

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: May 19, 2022, 08:35:21 AM »

Very nice! Darker area and local lights give it much deeper look.

Also very nice work with those fire particles. How you get formulae for particle movements to make such nice fire feeling? Invented by yourself or took it from some book or paper?

assemblerbot
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: May 23, 2022, 11:14:28 PM »

Hi, I've used just the Unity's built-in particle systems. They may be not the best but good enough to avoid the reinvention.

Fire is created from standard spherical emitter and movement of particles is influenced by inversed gravity vector and 3D noise texture that is shifted in time. It's simple but efficient way to emulate the effect of twirling sparks.

vdapps
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: May 25, 2022, 01:58:21 PM »

Cool, thx for sharing! Gentleman

assemblerbot
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: June 29, 2022, 01:22:35 PM »

=== Update 13 - Decorations, books, console and more ===

Hi everyone,
I'm slowly approaching the point where I need to create an actual content for the game. These are my latest additions to the technology:
- adjustable decorations can be placed to the levels (parts can be turned on/off to make some visual variability)
- wall alternatives are also supported
- I have readable books! .. that also means I should start to learn how to write proper English Cheesy
- I've realized that if someone in the future stumbles across a game-breaking bug, there is no way to fix it. So I've used the same LUA functionality I've already had to create a very powerful console (it's a full-featured LUA interpreter).
- inventory has a major of life improvement: shift+click to equip/unequip/insert to best container
- editor got some love too in form of new toolbar and many fixes

Everything is in the video:

See you next time!

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: June 29, 2022, 11:16:59 PM »

These are some great steps forward and I'm especially impressed by your editor, it looks really elaborate already. Keep up the great work!

vdapps
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: June 30, 2022, 09:10:58 AM »

Very nice, jaw-dropping! Gentleman Very good look and feel, and with all that Minecraft-mania, the art style seems to me like guarantee to success. Hand Money Left Hand Money Right

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic