Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 04:42:30 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingUnidentified 1942 - gameplay preliminary testing
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Unidentified 1942 - gameplay preliminary testing  (Read 1292 times)
hapsi
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: January 17, 2021, 06:12:38 AM »

CLOSED. Feedback was good, took some time to fix some of them. Now i'm advancing, and may post a new version for testing any time. Thanks.
-------------------------------------------------------

Hi, i have been working on this for a long time. Here is a bit of it. There is no story told yet (it's in paper though), this is supposed to be a gameplay sample for critization.

Please share every bug, graphics thing, sound/music, and everything that is good and bad in this project. Have fun Smiley
https://easyupload.io/f472f5

GODMODE=Numpad 0
Skip level is in the tab menu. In most levels F1 will do the same.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 05:10:49 AM by hapsi » Logged
mobilelast
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2021, 04:27:10 PM »

One can immediately see, that this is a long term project. Nice Amiga-style graphics with good animation and effects (both visual and auditory). Explosions were especially masculine. Music varies a lot; one in the second tutorial level was my favorite. This is an ambitious game and there are many things that have to be learned. Fortunately the tutorial is well made and interesting.

I only had limited time to play this, so I might have missed something. But anyway, here's something that came into my mind:
- I couldn't find a help screen. Controls are easily forgotten, so it would be nice to be able to check. Also, there's no proper way to quit the game (F8 works sometimes).
- It's hard to select weapon with scroll wheel (it tends to leap over the one I want to pick). Q doesn't seem to work at all.
- When inside a building, the roof goes opaque when the mouse is hovered outside. I think the roof should be transparent whenever the player is inside.
- The second part of tutorial could be split into smaller pieces (group, vehicle destroy, ...) and let player choose any of them in order to retry without starting over.
- Some visual effects would greatly benefit of lighting. 3D-objects probably wouldn't fit the style, but bump mapped sprites etc. might work. Also larger resolution would be good. Now sprites only look crisp on windowed mode.
- Few crashes in random places and typo: "Shitf-button" in the very first tutorial screen Smiley

I have to play it more in order to do it justice. A very promising game indeed.

Avaruustaistelupeli (ATP) - a space combat game
- Free download from itch.io or IndieDB
- Dev diary here
hapsi
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2021, 08:16:51 PM »

I guess some kind of info screen for controls is doable, but that is why the tutorial levels explain so much. My english isn't fluent, but sergeant stands as it is, SHITf i'll change :D

Thank you for the review.

e: oh, the game is supposed to be played in fullscreen, game engine is too heavy to pull up the resolution for normal table tops and especially laptops. Bumpmaps i can't add to this engine anymore.

Alt+F4 i think everyone knows. Q and scroll should work, i have to check that.

e2: The roof thing. It is supposed to be that way. Otherwise the whole thing wouldn't work. I did it. Didn't cause nothing but a headache.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 09:56:43 PM by hapsi » Logged
jbarrios
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2021, 11:29:08 AM »

Hi hapsi,

I played your game and recorded my thoughts:

hapsi
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2021, 09:22:35 PM »

Hi.

Thanks for the effort to make a real time playing review! I can now see what aspects i should change. My first language is finnish but other than that too. The sight thing must be repaired.

Also, the crawling is just in some special places, running is what's usually better. Tutorial is not explained well enough, need to add a controls button.

I have now another perspective to this, witch is why i posted a gameplay test.  Beer!

You can use a god mode via numpad 0 and/or skip a level, there is 7 or 8 more. I hope you enjoyed Smiley

e: btw: you can shoot rpg, every weapon and throw grenades trough natural obstacles like those elevations, just not rocks that are destroyable.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 10:55:26 AM by hapsi » Logged
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic