Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 05:33:36 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsGastrotale: A roguelike MMO in your browser!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Gastrotale: A roguelike MMO in your browser!  (Read 878 times)
brkho
Level 0

View Profile
« on: January 18, 2021, 11:21:51 AM »

Hi all! I’ve been lurking around these parts for a long time, and after reading countless devlogs, I was inspired to start on my own solo-dev adventure. Now, I’m finally ready to present the project I’ve been working on for the past few months- Gastrotale, a roguelike MMO that you can play right in your browser!

Background
Gastrotale is a multiplayer roguelike ARPG (think Risk of Rain or Hades) that runs in a standard web browser. I’ve always seen a lot of potential in the web platform (my day job is hacking on the Chromium graphics stack), and I think web technologies (e.g. WebGL, WebRTC, and WebAssembly) are finally mature enough for a project like this.

I have some grand ideas of an overarching story and zany gameplay mechanics, but I’ll keep it brief for now. The project is just too early in development, and I don’t want to waste your time with baseless promises of what may be. I’ll update this post as I implement more features, so stay tuned!

Latest Devlog

Older Devlogs
Episode 1: Washing Machine Simulator

Features
Over the past few months, I’ve implemented a lot of the core networking stack, game loop, and rendering. As of today, multiple people can connect to the server and move around in the same map. There’s also a basic physics system that supports walls and slopes.

Also, I’ve spent a lot of time working on a map editor:

Tech
I’ve incorporated a lot of really cool tech in Gastrotale so far.

I use a client-server networking model via an approach that’s well-documented on the internet. For those of you unfamiliar with game networking, the gist is that clients are untrustworthy and all actual game logic should happen on the server. Clients broadcast their input state (e.g. keypresses, mouse position) every tick, the server acts on this information, and the server updates all clients with the authoritative game state every tick. Of course, this introduces additional latency (the client won’t see the results of a button press until a full roundtrip to the server), so most games attempt to hide the lag with client-side prediction and reconciliation.

Client-side prediction lets the client preemptively act on local inputs before the server responds. If the client and server are running the same game loop, there should be no difference between the final game state on either the client or the server in the vast majority of scenarios.

Of course, this requires that the client and server run the exact same game loop as differences in implementation will result in bugs. In many networked games, this is not an issue- both the client and the server are written in the same language, so we can just share a library. In Gastrotale, however, I want to implement the server in C++ for performance, but the client needs to run JavaScript. To solve this, I implement the game loop in C++ and use WebAssembly to export a module. I can then invoke this module on the client to advance the game loop using the local game state.

Also, most networked games use UDP instead of TCP for networking. Unfortunately, the easiest way to set up a bidirectional connection in the browser is with the TCP-based WebSockets. If you want unreliable and unordered packets, your only tool is WebRTC, an API for peer-to-peer connections between multiple web browsers. WebRTC was designed for P2P media sharing (i.e. video calls), but you can fake a client-server model by just running a WebRTC client on your server and have it connect to all clients. To do this in C++, I compile Chromium’s WebRTC implementation into my game server.

Thanks for reading, and stay tuned for more updates!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 06:41:04 AM by brkho » Logged
brkho
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2021, 07:37:04 AM »

Hi all! It’s been a hot minute since I posted my last update, but believe me, I’ve still been hard at work on Gastrotale. Since my last devlog, I’ve implemented some combat mechanics and all of the fussy netcode that comes with it. If you want to learn more, please check out the latest video!

airbug
Level 0

Human person

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2021, 09:32:26 AM »

Really cool! Watching this.

brkho
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2021, 06:48:52 AM »

Hey, I’m back with a bit of a smaller update this time. I’ve been focused on art over the past month, so unfortunately, I don’t have enough new featurework for a full devlog. Instead, please enjoy this in-game render of the first playable character:

For more details, please check out my posts on Twitter or Reddit. It'd really mean a lot! Smiley
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic