Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 02:44:31 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingMath Maze - It's Like Word Search, But With Numbers! [HTML5]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Math Maze - It's Like Word Search, But With Numbers! [HTML5]  (Read 972 times)
werekarg
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: January 22, 2021, 07:31:34 AM »

---> Play Math Maze In Your Browser! <---

Math Maze is my latest browser game, in the puzzle/brain teaser genre. The goal is to connect numbers using arithmetic operators, and the expression created must evaluate to the target number.

In this first iteration, I've released 25 free levels and 5 available for subscribers of Web Monetization. I plan to create some more levels and add challenge modes, if the game gets some interest.

Thank you for playing!

one of the Many
mobilelast
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2021, 03:14:26 PM »

Nice idea that allows lots of different solutions for developing creativity and mathematical problem solving. I also like that the current state is clearly visible, so one can iterate towards the solution step by step. Visuals are clear and pleasing, with lovely transitions + tweenings.

Something that came into my mind:
- What about adding brackets as operators for changing the calculation order? That would allow some seriously hard, yet short puzzles.
- On PC, full-screen button fills the screen horizontally rather than vertically, so only a portion of the game is visible on landscape browser window. I tested with Edge and Chrome. On iPhone6S + Safari, full-screen mode doesn't have any effect.

Great concept. Looking forward to new puzzles.

Avaruustaistelupeli (ATP) - a space combat game
- Free download from itch.io or IndieDB
- Dev diary here
werekarg
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2021, 08:29:19 AM »

thanks for the feedback!

brackets are on my TODO list, though not sure at the moment what would be an intuitive way to interact with the grid and display them.

i've uploaded a new version that has better support for responsiveness, so it should work on PC fullscreen.

older iphones/safari have issues with fullscreen, i think apple decided to forbid it.

one of the Many
lianguage
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2021, 03:32:43 PM »

Wow this is very nice.

Just 2 things I thought of though.
1 - Would there be a way to make levels procedurally generated? So that the user can keep playing indefinitely. Having said that your difficulty scaling is quite good for the curated levels, this is probably more for after the users have played all the levels.
2 - Maybe this is worth turning into a PWA and launching on an app/play store to get more exposure. It would have a side effect of looking better on mobile devices.
werekarg
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2021, 07:12:27 AM »

Wow this is very nice.

Just 2 things I thought of though.
1 - Would there be a way to make levels procedurally generated? So that the user can keep playing indefinitely. Having said that your difficulty scaling is quite good for the curated levels, this is probably more for after the users have played all the levels.
2 - Maybe this is worth turning into a PWA and launching on an app/play store to get more exposure. It would have a side effect of looking better on mobile devices.

oh, hey, thanks for playing and for the feedback! Smiley

it should be possible to randomly generate levels. generation is easy, the main issue is checking that there aren't trivial solutions anywhere else in the grid. hopefully, if the game gets some more gameplays, i'll consider adding a random challenge mode, as well as some other challenges and maybe additional levels. if this happens, i'll also consider a mobile version.

i've been asked before for pwa of my games, but this would mean using ads for monetization and i'm really not down with ads anymore. hell, google ads banned me ~10 years ago, so...

one of the Many
Vidak
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2021, 11:05:21 AM »

This is nice. It looks and sounds good, and the difficulty progression is pretty good too, for the most part.

A couple of UX improvements I think you can make:
  • Add an undo button(besides reset). This'd be useful for the more complex levels.
  • On PC, add key bindings for the operators and for reset/undo. Also useful for the more complex levels.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic