Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411508 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 08:27:31 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Last Bird: Defend your country from far superior enemy
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: The Last Bird: Defend your country from far superior enemy  (Read 3587 times)
Pius95
Level 0

View Profile
« on: January 27, 2021, 07:17:52 AM »

Hey guys, recently I have become really obsessed by a game development process and about two months ago started working on my first Indie game. The game is a simple 2D/Action game targeted for mobile devices. You control a plane and must fight against endless waves of enemy bombers. I would like to hear your ideas and thoughts. I am a complete begginer so there is a lot to learn and obstacles to overcome.  Smiley

I am using Unity + Visual Studio. For music FL studio and audacity. For art mainly Photoshop. More about preparations here:

I explain the Idea and concept in this video:

Since this is my first try at something like this I selected idea which was intresting to me because learning sometimes can be frustrating and it is easier to stay motivated by doing the game about something that fascinate you.

I know its not much for now, but learning game development is not as easy as I thought Grin but I will try my best to post regular updates and news.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 06:41:21 AM by Pius95 » Logged
Pius95
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2021, 08:40:24 AM »

Currently the game looks like this

Also I have been working on three diffrent enemy models.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 09:12:47 AM by Pius95 » Logged
Pius95
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2021, 12:45:41 PM »

Quick review of the weapons system:
Player weapons consist of:
machine guns - most reliable but deals smallest amount of damage,
rockets - devastating but limited amount,
Auto-canon - deals damage to enemies further away and explodes in mid air.

Most hostiles have two turrets that fires bullets in short series, once you are in range.
Also there are anti air rounds that deals damage to both sides.

Pius95
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2021, 03:33:40 AM »

Some updates on damage effects in the game. Made them look better and more realistic by adding noise, gradient and diffrent lifetime. Also fixed some small bugs and power ups movement. More in the video.

Beastboy
Level 3

Happy birth day mom!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2021, 07:31:08 AM »

Weapons are nice but the minigun mode ruins the realism-simulation part.

Also may i suggest wheater to affect movment and view range?
Pius95
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2021, 10:17:13 AM »

Weapons are nice but the minigun mode ruins the realism-simulation part.

Also may i suggest wheater to affect movment and view range?

Thank you for a great suggestion! I will definetely spend some time on the background and cloud cover to make it look more realistic and satisfying to play. Also diffrent weather is a great idea! Minigun will not be included in the game, just added it for testing Smiley
Pius95
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2021, 12:36:32 PM »

Added smooth movement to power ups(repair-increases player's health, rocket - adds rockets), also improved collision particles
Power ups probably will be available only in arcade mode of the game
Pius95
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2021, 05:20:05 AM »

As suggested I added three diffrent weather types to my game. It slightly reduces visibility also game scene does not look that empty. If you have any suggestions or feedback I will be happy to hear.
Dry conditions - Not many clouds and background is light
Cloudy conditions - A lot of clouds but game scene is relatively light.
Storm conditions - Game scene is way darker, also clouds are thick and visibility is limited.
I will try to add rain particles, but game performance might be impacted.

More about all of this in this dev log:

Pius95
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2021, 12:12:50 AM »

Cloudy conditions look like this for now. Clouds are spawned and transformed randomly.
Ramos
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2021, 01:24:47 PM »

Good progress

I would like to suggest a parallax effect. Make different clouds layer move at a different speed - the closer(top layer) to be slower than the back layer. For maximum deepth.

Pius95
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2021, 05:09:07 AM »

Good progress

I would like to suggest a parallax effect. Make different clouds layer move at a different speed - the closer(top layer) to be slower than the back layer. For maximum deepth.

Thank you! Great suggestion. This week will be working on visuals so I will definately try out your suggestion. Smiley
Pius95
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2021, 05:10:44 AM »

Three months of development had passed and I think it is great time to recap all the progress I made and what areas I should improve.

Pius95
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2021, 07:02:33 AM »

More updates on visual effects and gameplay. Added diffrent kind of ammunition. For now it will not have any practicle usage, just a little detail. Also I tried adding wind particles but don't know if it looks good or not. The other new thing is bail out button which allows you to leave a burning plane.

Pius95
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2021, 01:29:11 AM »

Tracer rounds in action
Pius95
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2021, 06:51:51 AM »

Spent some time working on thematic music for the game

Pius95
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2021, 03:52:33 AM »

For the past few weaks I've been wokring on big visual improvements, backgrounds. As suggested tried out adding diffrent layers of clouds and applying parallax effect. The game scene still lacks a few things and lighting is a bit of sometimes, but here is the result.

Ramos
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2021, 03:10:30 PM »

Glad to see you are still on top of development.
Also, the new parallax effect definitely brings a high level of depth to the visuals.

good job, keep the updates coming

Pius95
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2021, 10:52:09 PM »

Glad to see you are still on top of development.
Also, the new parallax effect definitely brings a high level of depth to the visuals.

good job, keep the updates coming

Thank you for support and suggestions! Smiley
Pius95
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2021, 06:36:09 AM »

Step by step, I am starting to finish the main game loop, but still there is a lot of things left to do. The next task will be to think about the Campaign mode which is very important.

Pius95
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2021, 06:04:51 AM »

For some time I ve been working on damagable sprites in my game. Now the bullets leave holes and cause damage more accurately. I wantged to add this feature for a very long time but didn't really knew how. If you have any suggestions I would love to hear them.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic