Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 02:34:00 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsKaiju Wars - Advance Wars + Into the Breach meets Godzilla
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Kaiju Wars - Advance Wars + Into the Breach meets Godzilla  (Read 2302 times)
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2021, 01:35:57 AM »

human units, buildings and tiles all have a dithered (black dots) pixel art aesthetic.
You mean the appropriately named ordered ditheringWink

I like the idea of having a completely different art style for the monsters, but I do worry the art quality of the monsters isn't as high as the tiles or units. Kaiju are the star of the show, so their art needs to be better than simply OK. You can see more monster animations compared to unit and tile art in the trailer below.
I think the monsters look great actually, although maybe they could use a hint of error diffusion dithering? That would make them fit in the surroundings a bit more while still being very distinct.

Also, obligatory plug of my own technique: hybrid ordered error diffusion dithering:

https://observablehq.com/@jobleonard/ordered-error-diffusion-dithering
Ramos
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2021, 02:24:01 AM »

The animations and art of monsters are good.
As a suggestion, I would add some elegant blood animation coming out of the monsters when they get some critical hit, and for the blood I would suggest using black so you wont mess up the current color theme

GJ

Foolish Mortals
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2021, 01:43:04 PM »

human units, buildings and tiles all have a dithered (black dots) pixel art aesthetic.
You mean the appropriately named ordered ditheringWink

I like the idea of having a completely different art style for the monsters, but I do worry the art quality of the monsters isn't as high as the tiles or units. Kaiju are the star of the show, so their art needs to be better than simply OK. You can see more monster animations compared to unit and tile art in the trailer below.
I think the monsters look great actually, although maybe they could use a hint of error diffusion dithering? That would make them fit in the surroundings a bit more while still being very distinct.

Also, obligatory plug of my own technique: hybrid ordered error diffusion dithering:

https://observablehq.com/@jobleonard/ordered-error-diffusion-dithering

A dithering expert in the wild?! Ordered dithering is definitely what I was looking for - I had no idea there are so many types/techniques for it. Is your hybrid ordered error diffusion method or code available as a plugin for any image programs? I'll definitely try out your suggestion and see if a dithered monster makes it look more cohesive.

The animations and art of monsters are good.
As a suggestion, I would add some elegant blood animation coming out of the monsters when they get some critical hit, and for the blood I would suggest using black so you wont mess up the current color theme

GJ
Thanks! Our first thought regarding monsters taking damage was to have them not react much at all to demonstrate how ineffective the human weapons are, but this just ends up being visually boring. A spurt of black blood would be great for a critical hit (combined maybe with them falling over and then getting back up)

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2021, 01:56:47 AM »

Well, it's all open source javascript right there on the page I guess, but no specific plug-ins no Shrug
Foolish Mortals
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2021, 12:34:24 PM »

Ah, gotcha. Will definitely try playing around with it. Thanks!

LucierBlazquiz
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2021, 07:59:38 PM »

Is there going to be a mode to play as the monsters?
Foolish Mortals
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2021, 12:42:13 PM »

Yes! We do plan on having a short 'versus' mode for a few missions, and for narrative purposes occasionally playing as the alien Invader. Although your control over the monster will be limited (they still go towards the target building, but you can sometimes choose their target).

fall_ark
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2021, 10:15:08 PM »

I could use some honest feedback on the monster art: Is grayscale too boring? Is the animation quality as good as you'd expect? Have any zany suggestions for how monsters could be displayed (claymation, 3D models, rotoscope)?

Totally non-professional opinion. I think the current greyscale just feels a tad bit lackluster. The animations and furs look great, but the smoother/shinier parts don't look as strong. To contrast with the orderly human buildings they really need to be displayed as more violent/wild/scruffy-looking.

Maybe some dithering will make them feel more detailed and give the classic coarse/rough godzilla-feel. And if it's going to be grayscale, maybe the monster can still be separated as a standalone color, and the players can choose to use a slightly different color from the destruction/ruins? Just want them to stand out more a bit. Maybe some thick outline or aura/special effects could work as well.
Again just my two cents.

Chinese localizer and influencer. Translated Dead Cells, Slay the Spire, The Count Lucanor, Katana Zero, Dicey Dungeons, and involved in the localization of Reigns, The Curious Expedition, Desktop Dungeons, etc.
If you have questions about Chinese loc and publishing etc., find me at Twitter @SoM_lo
Foolish Mortals
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2021, 10:29:40 PM »

Thanks for the honest feedback. Agreed on the fur. Even though the monsters cause the devastation and ruins (leaving a trail), they definitely blend in a bit too much. We'll definitely be trying out a dithered look, and your outline idea is a good suggestion (human units already have an outline).

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic