Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 05:44:31 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessGoogle Analytics GA4 and Steam
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Google Analytics GA4 and Steam  (Read 3705 times)
MartinBousquet
Level 0

View Profile
« on: January 29, 2021, 11:34:04 AM »

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to setup a Google analytics account for measuring the traffic on my website as well as the Steam page and I'm not sure I understand the Properties thing. Do I need to create 2 Properties, one for Steam and one for the website or just one for both?

I've looked at how other games are doing and most of them have one analytics ID UA-XXXXXXXX-1 for the website and another one UA-XXXXXXXX-2 for Steam... The problem is that Google has pushed a new version of analytics called GA4 and now identifiers look like G-XXXXXXXX and Steam doesn't accept that.

I can still create an old property with the format UA-XXXXXXXX-X and link that to a new one, but I have no idea if this is the right thing to do and if I try to link 2 URLs on one property, google yells at me because I shouldn't do that.

Does anyone know what I'm supposed to do? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
MartinBousquet
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2021, 04:38:22 AM »

If anyone reads that in the future and have the same issue, I solved my problem by just creating an old property with the ID UA-XXXXXXXX. I still have no clue how to do it with GA4.
vivaladav
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2021, 04:00:39 PM »

Yes, Steam (and pretty much anything else) only supports the old universal property.

For other people with the same issue you can create an universal property following these steps:
- From your admin page
- Property > create property
- Click "Show advanced options"
- Toggle "Create a Universal Analytics property"
- Select "Create a Universal Analytics property only"

Hope this helps.

Creating "Virtueror, the virtual conqueror" (RTS + 4x + RPG)

[Wishlist on Steam]
[TIGS devlog][YouTube devlog][website]
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic