Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 12:38:49 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingDEFI - an educational game about electric fields
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: DEFI - an educational game about electric fields  (Read 1828 times)
Eliron
TIGBaby

View Profile
« on: February 01, 2021, 05:26:21 PM »

Hi I am a student, and a peer and I are creating an educational game to teach people how electric fields work!
the goal of our game is to push a point charge to the finish line by creating an electric field and force in that direction.
We created a physics engine in the backend of the game so it works similarly to how real electric fields work.
The main purpose of this game is education through games especially targeted at current students so education comes first and entertainment second.
Currently the game is in browser with the goal of moving to a mobile setting at some point
Thanks for giving our game a try!
You can access the game at the link below
https://icphysweb.z13.web.core.windows.net/site/game.html
Here is a picture of the building your electric field

dylandummy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2021, 06:18:23 PM »

Negatives:
1. It was not easy for me to learn the controls. Consider making that more clear.
2. The buttons and UI don't have any feedback, which detracts from the experience. Make the buttons wobble or get bigger when you hover over them, maybe.
3. The screen gets very crowded at times which is not visually appealing.

Positives:
1. This might be the most important for you, but I definitely feel like I came away a bit smarter.
2. The gameplay is actually quite fun provided you play it for a few minutes and get the jist of it.
3. I love the star system, it is a very good way to have the player really want to redo a level a few times until they get all 3

Overall, this has potential! Keep it up Smiley
lianguage
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2021, 11:27:29 PM »

Wow this is pretty cool, and all done in canvas  Hand Thumbs Up Left

Running on a relatively crap laptop, I did have some performance issues, making the game not feel quite snappy as I would like. Also the UI needs some work, some things I tried but didn't work the way expected:
-Tapping the charges I expected it to cycle through the numbers
-placing a charge starting neutral I actually had no idea what it did at first.
-So when placing a charge maybe it would be best if some kind of prompt showed up to allow the user to decide which type of charge to use.
-The lack of loading screen is a bit worrying considering it took some time for the page to show up (is the site quite large?)

Comparing this game to something like "cut the rope" which I really enjoyed. The puzzles don't quite feel satisfying. I think the star positioning, and target need to be more forgiving in the first levels. I felt like the momentum mechanic for the moving particle induced more frustration than anything because it was more difficult to move it to exactly where I wanted it to go.
jostvise2d
Level 0

ю:

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2021, 01:11:07 AM »

i found a grafical bug: https://i.ibb.co/hLCZZdJ/2021-07-15-150826.png
Piaworthy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2021, 02:42:17 AM »

Hi Eliron,

I enjoyed what I played, though it was hard to get the hang of things, even with the tutorial. I really like how the electric fields are represented, and how they smoothly warp as you adjust positions. It's really cool. A few small things could be added to make the game more satisfying. At the level complete screen, maybe you could emphasize the collected stars, perhaps by showing the stars stamping themselves into position instead of just being there. Any sort of embellishment here could make it more satisfying to collect stars. It might be nice if, when placing the various objects, or dragging things into the bin to be deleted, sound effects were played, to make the process feel more tangible and satisfying. Also, a quick "are you sure?" prompt when clicking on the reset button could prevent some potential frustration. One more thing: sometimes, instead of pressing play, a charge is placed directly beneath the play button, briefly preventing me from pressing the play button. Other than that, this was really fun, and I can see the educational value.
rachoac
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2021, 11:48:33 AM »

Eliron, I tried this game. I'm an idiot when it comes to physics, but I enjoyed the graphical representation of fields. Something I thought I'd like to ask you is if its possible to blur the lines between Play and Edit modes as much as possible, so I can see the effect of the fields on the ball real time as I move around and place the magnetic poles.

And while I was doing that, if the game could give me realtime feedback on why the ball is moving further away from the goal, and not closer. I guess this would make it more like a simulation, but I think it would be more intuitive and accessible this way!

Anyway I really like it and am going to let my teenaged son see what he makes of it. He's closer to physics than me now.

I'm making Project Samsara!
Visit https://projectsamsara.com/?guest=true to check it out.
Discord: https://discord.gg/Mbt6UfqW6e
ROSSCOGames
Level 0

CEO of ROSSCO Games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2022, 05:27:06 AM »

Negatives:
1. It was not easy for me to learn the controls. Consider making that more clear.
2. The buttons and UI don't have any feedback, which detracts from the experience. Make the buttons wobble or get bigger when you hover over them, maybe.
3. The screen gets very crowded at times which is not visually appealing.

Positives:
1. This might be the most important for you, but I definitely feel like I came away a bit smarter.
2. The gameplay is actually quite fun provided you play it for a few minutes and get the jist of it.
3. I love the star system, it is a very good way to have the player really want to redo a level a few times until they get all 3

Overall, this has potential! Keep it up Smiley

"Positives and negatives", pun intended?

Check out the games on my website!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic