Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411471 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58423 Members - Latest Member: antkind

April 23, 2024, 09:46:39 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralLET IT BEGIN WITH HELP FROM FRIENDS
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: LET IT BEGIN WITH HELP FROM FRIENDS  (Read 2178 times)
TommyD3
Level 0

View Profile
« on: February 06, 2021, 01:19:58 AM »

Hello, everyone! My name is Thomas and I am totally green to the game industry. I have read a bit of material and am an avid gamer, but I want more (as we all do). Where would I begin in order for a career in the industry? What is easiest to begin learning? Testing for games? Game development? In other words, with extremely little knowledge of this industry, where does one begin on the right path to a successful career?
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2021, 10:01:40 AM »

This is a common question, and the best answer is that you need to be self driven in your studies. Essentially you are asking how to become an artist: there are a million paths to a million destinations. Some people will tell you to draw still lifes, some people recommend starting with doodles that are more random.

What do you want to make? What other game projects do you find interesting? How were they made? You have to answer this.

JaneKing
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2021, 01:24:18 AM »

Hi! Jane here Smiley and I'm glad someone asked this question. I'm a newbie and also green in the game industry with very little knowledge as well. I really hope to learn more from this forum.
bram_dingelstad
Level 0

Always up for a chat!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2021, 12:53:55 AM »

Hey Thomas! (and also Jane!). I've been in the Dutch games industry for a while, but recently got out of it. My experience has been radically different from most as I've started as an indie and only did work for other bigger indies to make money.

The biggest thing I can give you as advice (besides the already amazing and very good advice of michaelplzno), is that you just start. The biggest thing in this industry (or any for that manner) is learning how to communicate properly. Most of the projects I've seen gone bad with new (or even old) blood in the team has been because of this. So, if your "soft" (social) skills need some work, don't forget to start there.

Also, if you're looking for a somewhat fun and inspirational way to make some smaller games, I can definitely recommend PICO-8, which is kind of like a NES that never existed. A lot of people (even some noteworthy devs) have published really small and fun games on there. Dylan Bennett has a great explanation on the console:

If you get the hang of the console, whether it's on the design, art, music, sound or code side (or all of them!), you can start moving on bigger projects to see what skills you'd like to develop further. The inherent limits of PICO8 will keep you from wanting to make things that are too big, which is usually a pretty common mistake people make.

Best of luck on your journey! Can't wait to see what you make!

If you'd like to see something of my work check out:
The devlogs of the game I'm working on - My website/blog - My itch.io
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2021, 05:45:58 AM »

As per bram_dingelstad, communication is essential if you aren't doing everything 100% yourself in an attempt to become the Übermensch. As much as communication is essential, listening is also an invaluable skill too, even if you want to be the big top of the pyramid boss dude or dudette.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic