Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411485 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 05:48:13 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMind Over Matter (Newest Post August 10th)
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Mind Over Matter (Newest Post August 10th)  (Read 7587 times)
JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2009, 11:03:43 PM »

So what exactly is the main character?
Do you have any concept art?

EchoP
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2009, 12:03:13 AM »

Had a go at this, and was suitably impressed. Beer!

Couple of small bugs/suggestions:
-(Bug) I could not reproduce it, but I started the telekinesis beam on a red block that fell as soon as I did it, and the beam missed and kept going. Had to release the shift key to make it stop.
-(Suggestion) Maybe get rid of the shift key? Hitting shift and clicking and then a direction is a little confusing, why not just have the player click?
-(Suggestion) If you want to move a block around more than once, it can be annoying to keep clicking back onto it. The speed of the beam could be increased, or maybe you could keep control of the block by default?

Overall, loved it. Had plenty of awesome ideas and played really well. Good job!
PureQuestion
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2009, 06:27:59 AM »

Had a go at this, and was suitably impressed. Beer!

Couple of small bugs/suggestions:
-(Bug) I could not reproduce it, but I started the telekinesis beam on a red block that fell as soon as I did it, and the beam missed and kept going. Had to release the shift key to make it stop.
-(Suggestion) Maybe get rid of the shift key? Hitting shift and clicking and then a direction is a little confusing, why not just have the player click?
-(Suggestion) If you want to move a block around more than once, it can be annoying to keep clicking back onto it. The speed of the beam could be increased, or maybe you could keep control of the block by default?

Overall, loved it. Had plenty of awesome ideas and played really well. Good job!

Actually, the mind beam used to be faster than it is now. But you see, the faster it is, the more likely it is for that first glitch to occur. I suppose I could figure out a solution to both issues...

PureQuestion
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2009, 06:33:36 AM »

A new block type, and let me tell you, it was really annoying to do properly. Allong with it comes the great and mighty CRUSHY WALLS! Which can be reversed by pulling switches. Due to the amount of programming required for these, level design took a hit. There's only two new stages in this build.

Regardless, it can be found here. If you uncover any bugs, be sure to tell me.
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?5jtyyjydzjc

PureQuestion
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2009, 04:52:25 PM »

I finally have a new version out! It's about damn time!

So, I have finally implemented both barriers in your progress (IE: You don't have every stage unlocked from the beginning) and I have a save system. If I wanted, I could stop programming right now and just design levels. I don't intend to, however. The system could use some cleaning up, particularly in lack of player control.

Hilariously, there really isn't much to save, a welcome change from the last game I made.

Anyway, it can be found heeeere:
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?lzmrknwuxmz
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 03:10:27 PM by PureQuestion » Logged

PureQuestion
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2009, 07:15:24 PM »

Alright. Today I have completed my 40th level. I will now be releasing this game on the feedback forum.

The newest download is here:
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?lqzkujmywiz

PureQuestion
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2009, 08:59:43 PM »

Last level kinda got skipped on play testing. I accidentally made it unbeatable, aside from one bit of platforming that was more than a little improbable.

Here's the version with that little mess-up fixed.
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?3jgjwk1ntim

JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2009, 09:00:57 PM »

Downloading tonight and will play tomorrow.

40 levels?
wow you have done a lot.

PureQuestion
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2009, 09:24:49 PM »

Downloading tonight and will play tomorrow.

40 levels?
wow you have done a lot.

I was aiming for 50, but creativity seems to be capping off. I want to get in that last feature a couple mores times though....

Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2009, 12:15:49 PM »

Nice work. I'm going to start with the small issues I had, and then finish with the many positive things.

I only found one bug. I think it was on the second level. I was riding a block to the left and when it hit a wall, I died. Maybe it thought I'd been crushed?

One small thing that I find irritating is that I can't use the "X" at the top of the window to close it. If you're using Game Maker 7, there's a new Close Button event you can use. I'd also like it better if vertical sync was turned on. Also, those force fields really irritated my eyes to the point that I couldn't play for long periods of time even though I really liked the gameplay.

Is there a reason you decided to use Shift+Click? Why not just the mouse click? It would be nice if the telekinetic "link" stayed connected after I move a block, if I haven't released the button. It's a little tedious to have to re-select the block each time, in sections where you have to move the same block multiple times.

Anyway, I like the puzzles a lot, and the difficulty curve seems pretty much perfect to me, although I haven't played that many levels yet. I like how you're constantly introducing new gameplay elements. The levels are really well-designed and apart from that one bug I mentioned, I didn't have any problems. It can be tough working with someone else's movement engine, but everything seems to work as it should. As I said, nice work. I just hope the force fields are changed slightly so I can actually finish the game.

My Old Game: We Want YOU - Join the Fight for Freedom

Twitter - Mostly comments on games, old and new.
PureQuestion
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2009, 08:33:37 AM »

Nice work. I'm going to start with the small issues I had, and then finish with the many positive things.

I only found one bug. I think it was on the second level. I was riding a block to the left and when it hit a wall, I died. Maybe it thought I'd been crushed?

You have no idea how much work I spend trying to fix this. I'm guessing you were on the edge, in which case the block would have tried to move you down with it, and you ended up in side the wall.

One small thing that I find irritating is that I can't use the "X" at the top of the window to close it. If you're using Game Maker 7, there's a new Close Button event you can use. I'd also like it better if vertical sync was turned on. Also, those force fields really irritated my eyes to the point that I couldn't play for long periods of time even though I really liked the gameplay.

Oh man. They're causing eye problems? I could probably fix it. Maybe a re-sprite, maybe slow them down. Anyway, for the X, I actually specifically made it so that the X does nothing. I suppose I could make it activate the same effect Esc does. But um, what's vertical sync?

Is there a reason you decided to use Shift+Click? Why not just the mouse click? It would be nice if the telekinetic "link" stayed connected after I move a block, if I haven't released the button. It's a little tedious to have to re-select the block each time, in sections where you have to move the same block multiple times.

Mainly, I wanted to have that little thing where you continue to float. I could look into the not un-selecting thing.

Anyway, I like the puzzles a lot, and the difficulty curve seems pretty much perfect to me, although I haven't played that many levels yet. I like how you're constantly introducing new gameplay elements. The levels are really well-designed and apart from that one bug I mentioned, I didn't have any problems. It can be tough working with someone else's movement engine, but everything seems to work as it should. As I said, nice work. I just hope the force fields are changed slightly so I can actually finish the game.
Great to hear!

Responses are italicized in quote.

JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2009, 10:27:49 AM »

iv'e only gotten to about lvl 14 but they are all great.

i'll put more feedback when i get further

PureQuestion
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2009, 02:20:49 PM »

New version! Hahaha! Now with tilesets for level 1-20.

JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2009, 05:31:56 PM »

at the last level.

I actually find this game pretty fun.

One thing i think this game really needs is MUSIC
and sound effects when the blocks hit walls and such would be great.

I'll check out the new tileset.

PureQuestion
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2009, 05:33:27 PM »

One thing i think this game really needs is MUSIC
and sound effects when the blocks hit walls and such would be great.

I want those too, but those are the things I absolutely can not do without outside help.

PureQuestion
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2009, 05:31:39 PM »

Coming Soon: Actual Progress? Can it be? Yes. It can. Hopefully to a decent degree.

Ashmaran
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2009, 06:51:44 PM »

I gave it a go, pretty well designed puzzles. Although I ended up getting stuck on level 9. Couldn't find a way past those spikes in the lower tunnel. Either I died trying to jump through, or got done when riding a purple block.

Some comments:

- I also thought it would be nice that if you kept holding shift, you would maintain your psychic block connection. Since pretty much all the shifting requires multiple moves it's more convenient.

- You introduce the ability to break bouncy balls early on, but never need to use it til level 8? This seems like a wasted opportunity to teach the mechanic early on. I was looking for a way to break the bouncy balls the first time they showed up, then realised I could just run past without any real danger.

- Selecting the first block in level 8 was kinda dodgy, I had to jump and try and grab it from the little alcove above the red blocking squares. At first I thought you couldn't access it from that spot and was trying other crazy stuff.

Music and sound effects would add a lot to the game. However you don't have to make it all yourself. I've found some good samples on http://www.freesound.org for effects.

For music check out http://www.archive.org/details/opensource_audio for free stuff or shockwave-sound.com for paid stuff (if you plan to sell the game, the prices are fairly reasonable). You'll be surprised by how much difference it makes to the game.

Current project Stargazer devlog
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic