Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 06:57:36 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPolar Battle- Inversed Tower Defence Game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Polar Battle- Inversed Tower Defence Game  (Read 662 times)
LazerRock
Level 0

lazerrock.itch.io

View Profile
« on: February 10, 2021, 12:57:06 AM »

So I've recently started a new little project. It's basically a tower defense, but you play as the attacker and not the defender (like that mode in PvZ where you play as the zombies). There's also a randomly-generated world map where you select levels, but I'm not 100% sure where I want to go with that. The levels themselves are also randomly generated.
You play as snowmen and the enemy are sort of monster variants of polar animals. So far there are 3 snowmen and 4 enemies. Balancing them is proving to be quite difficult.

You need snow to buy snowman, and you get snow by attacking the snow mounds (those big snowballs in the enemy zone). You can only place snowmen behind the red line.
You win when you have reached the end of each lane (killing all the enemies, basically).
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 05:11:54 AM by LazerRock » Logged

lazerrock.itch.io
LazerRock
Level 0

lazerrock.itch.io

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2021, 06:21:19 AM »

Progress Update:
So I've got a main game-loop in place. Basically, you start off with 4 snowmen to choose from, and each time you complete a level a new random snowman gets added to your selection. When you start a level, you may only bring 4 snowmen with you. There is a system for "special" levels, and I'm thinking that these give you better snowmen, or something along those lines.
Also changed some textures and did a lot of back-end stuff (fixed map generation, level generation, animations, etc...). Also added a main menu, spruced up the UI, and added sound!
Also, the level generation is a lot more controlled now. It's still random, of course, but I can influence what kind of setup the enemy positioning has (for example, tanks will generally be in front and shooters behind).

lazerrock.itch.io
LazerRock
Level 0

lazerrock.itch.io

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2021, 08:12:10 AM »

Progress Update:
So I got a fair bit done this week. I added an almanac of snowmen, fixed some bugs, and added a whole lot more snowmen and enemies

lazerrock.itch.io
LazerRock
Level 0

lazerrock.itch.io

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2021, 10:10:14 AM »

Progress Update n°4:
This week I've mostly been busy with the soundtrack, which I've finished (Main Theme, Menu Theme and Boss Theme). I also started working on a boss. It's this multi-limbed alien thing that shoots lasers and red bullets, but it's definitely not finalised yet. I also added a new snowman, the "Bouncy Snowman", who bounces over enemies (but only every 2nd one, so it doesn't just jump over all of them). Another big addition is the first draft of a tutorial. Also added a bunch of small things such as an improved UI, new title screen, etc... The game is starting to look mostly finished content-wise (I only need to add 2 more snowmen so that there's 10 snowmen and 10 enemies) but it will probably take a while to polish it all up. I'll start the playtesting phase in not too long, so let me know if there's anybody interested in doing it.

I'll release the game on itch.io as WebGL and downloadable, but also possibly on Gamejolt and Newgrounds.

lazerrock.itch.io
LazerRock
Level 0

lazerrock.itch.io

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2021, 05:11:24 AM »

After weeks of playtesting, bug-fixing, and general tweaking, it's finally finished!!!

Play Now: https://lazerrock.itch.io/polar-battle

Trailer:

lazerrock.itch.io
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic