Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 01:39:21 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDefinitely Mortal Software - makin games in Godot
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Definitely Mortal Software - makin games in Godot  (Read 667 times)
CharlieT
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: February 11, 2021, 03:00:26 PM »

Hi, my name is Charlie (she/they) and I've been making semi-regular devlogs for various projects in Godot. I'm self-taught, making adventure games since 2016 but I occasionally take part in game jams and make weird little free things.

My most recent is about Fruity Pies, a small casual fruit catching game I made for A Game by its Cover 2020. I talk about how this game is a departure from the work I am usually interested in and my limitations as a solo dev who thinks they can do everything themselves!

I try to post one scripted and edited video every couple months, with montages or mini-updates in between, covering a range of projects and prototypes. I mostly work with lowpoly art but I'm not really beholden to any style or genre. Sometimes I wanna be cute, but mostly I am a creep who wants to look at butts so who knows what you'll get.

I've also been thinking of ways to include my experience and knowledge working as a composer/sound-engineer and visual artists for 10+ years but so far it's been mostly about being depressed and trying to finish anything at all. Cool

ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2021, 06:59:47 PM »

That video was mesmerizing. I love the way you presented everything. Cool game!

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2021, 11:44:40 PM »

The fact that the cat is stuck in the tree, wiggling its butt and throwing out the fruits for you to catch them is so cool!

CharlieT
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2021, 10:36:21 PM »

Hi all. I put up a long devlog going over some of the systems I'm working on and progress with Archdroid. Mostly it's just me shooting up books and forgetting what I'm talking about!

I don't explain it very well but, in its current version, Godot doesn't have occlusion culling or LOD. To compensate I'm using an Area3D that matches the camera's field of view; as you look around the environment it hides objects as they move out of frame. When an object comes back into view it's added to a cue that updates in groups every other frame.

It's not doing what actual occlusion culling would but it still gives a huge performance boost. I'll eventually split it up in stages and use it for a simple LOD system, and to toggle animations and AI states.

Been burnt out and super depressed, but I still wanted to try and share something.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic