Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 08:14:35 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingPipe Run! a new pipe puzzle maze game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Pipe Run! a new pipe puzzle maze game  (Read 1385 times)
chapter34
Level 0

View Profile
« on: February 12, 2021, 03:52:14 PM »

Yep, I know what you're thinking, what is "a pipe puzzle maze game".  I'm running out of (never had in the first place?) cool ways to describe my game, so perhaps you guys could help me with a tagline too!

I've finished the first level of Pipe Run!, I call it an episode.  Why an episode?  I dunno, I thought it sounded cute.  Anyway, you have to get this water around a maze of pipes, from room to room, until you get it to its eventual destination.

It's harder than it sounds.

I don't want to give too much away, the whole game is a puzzle including how the interface works and what you can and cannot do.  I'd like folk to explore and discover and solve problems, like I did when I was first playing computer games in the 1980s.  Nothing handed to you on a plate.  None of those helpful hints about clicking here or pushing there, in my opinion, which water games down (no pun intended) and make them way too easy to solve.

That said, what do you all think of this game?  Could you figure it out?  How far could you go?  Is it actually too difficult for the average gamer?  Should I be dumbing it down?  Is it entertaining enough?  What could I do to grab your attention more and get you more hooked on reaching the finish line?

All thoughts & suggestions greatly appreciated.  I've spent ages creating this game, I've got tons of ideas for the next episode, more devious and crafty puzzles, more excitement, different locations.  But I'd like to build a fan base before I invest more time in expanding it, so I need tons and tons of tips because I don't know how to do that!

Oh, and here's the link!

https://bannister.itch.io/pipe-run

And if you can think of a good topic to post on the community board on itch.io feel free to create it or suggest it.  Perhaps "How far did you get?" could be an interesting topic opener?

Thanks for your time  Smiley
Mark

p.s. yes I know, my packages aren't signed.  Sorry.  Code signing certs are very expensive!  You'll just have to trust me, it's been built with GDevelop and it's absolutely fine!

p.p.s. an Android version is available on the Google Play Store here - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bannister.piperun
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 09:00:19 AM by chapter34 » Logged
jacek
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2021, 12:01:02 PM »

I tried the browser version of your game. I found it entertaining and I think the game has great potential but there is one thing I would definitely change - when I fail, I think it would be better if I could restart last screen, not the whole game. I think it would greatly help to keep player's attention. If I need to redo things I've already done many times it gets boring and I give up - instead of spending time figuring out the actual puzzle, I waste time redoing puzzles I've already solved. That said, I didn't have much time to play, when I have more time I might download the full version and spend some more time on it. The game looks solid and you can see that a lot of work has been put into it. I think it will appeal to puzzle game fans.
chapter34
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2021, 11:02:15 PM »

I tried the browser version of your game. I found it entertaining and I think the game has great potential but there is one thing I would definitely change - when I fail, I think it would be better if I could restart last screen, not the whole game. I think it would greatly help to keep player's attention.

Thanks for your feedback, it's great to hear back and your opinion is important to me.  Unfortunately resetting to the start of the room if you fail wouldn't really work.  I don't want to give too much away, it is a puzzle after all, but wrong choices earlier on might make it impossible to complete the episode anyway.  You need to learn how to get through each room quickly.
chapter34
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2021, 04:03:32 PM »

I've just started a Dev Log for Pipe Run! here https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=71748.0

You'll see I have lots of ideas for future episodes.

Sorry, technically I believe I should have started the Dev Log before I posted here in Playtesting!
changlea
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2021, 11:27:11 PM »

Pretty fun game!
chapter34
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2021, 08:53:28 AM »

Pretty fun game!

I'm glad you're enjoying it!  I'm working on a new game at the moment, then will get back to this one to add another level.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic