Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411504 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 04:20:09 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessOpen Letter to the industry: Fighting the Status quo that's killing my startup
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Open Letter to the industry: Fighting the Status quo that's killing my startup  (Read 3675 times)
theaaronstory
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: February 19, 2021, 02:44:20 AM »

Dear All,

Hands down, this has to be one the most important letters of my life. Please take a hot moment to read it, and perhaps share it, if it's not too much to ask! Thank-you-very-much!

Take care and stay safe! Have a nice day.

Sincerely,
theaaronstory
« Last Edit: June 02, 2021, 09:16:22 PM by theaaronstory » Logged

theaaronstory
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2021, 11:07:23 PM »

Hi everyone,

This is a quick follow-up to my last blog entry:

Thought to share it here as well, as I still believe in the project and its message.

Take care,
theaaronstory

« Last Edit: June 02, 2021, 09:16:14 PM by theaaronstory » Logged

joe_eyemobi
Level 3

Fledgling Indie Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2021, 05:39:30 PM »

Hey there, it might be a good idea to summarize the main point(s) here.  I had a quick skim, and I gleaned your point that running a start up is hard, but I'm not sure what you're looking for?

theaaronstory
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2021, 03:27:41 AM »

Hey there, it might be a good idea to summarize the main point(s) here.  I had a quick skim, and I gleaned your point that running a start up is hard, but I'm not sure what you're looking for?

Well, a lot of things to be honest, but mostly:

Far-far less gating, when it comes to talking/making business with industry folk, as people like me (with no street credit, or with little) are left in the dust; which technically negates the ability to set-up-shop in a studio friendly environment, or in any for that matter. No connections means that you cannot access the WEST (hubs) at all, thus little to no chance to make games (e.g., high costs, labor shortage, etc.). And at the time, I thought I had funding as well (only needed business access), which is no longer the case (turned out to be a scam). So now it's over for me and my AAA project.

In essence, that is what that entry meant to highlight (the issue with the status quo), and that the myth of easy access, to say to Canada, is a myth (for a foreigner). As otherwise no VC, Bank, or anybody else will hear you out and back your project: You need to know someone in order to know someone; and have a name for yourself. Hope you see what's wrong with that. Smiley

ps.: To put it into perspective, and show how difficult this is: It's like as if a random person from the street, would want an audience with the Queen. That's never going to happen. They'd be a laughing matter at most.

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2021, 03:32:16 AM »

I don't know whether this might help you, but a reasonably well-known game-dev, Rami Ismail, offers "free/affordable consultancies for indies". I gather that these consultancies can cover a variety of topics, including things like budgeting and "trying to get into games". Perhaps such a consultation might help you to find a way forward.

Here's a link to a tweet containing details:
https://twitter.com/tha_rami/status/1370097754693890050?s=20

theaaronstory
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2021, 04:22:43 AM »

I don't know whether this might help you, but a reasonably well-known game-dev, Rami Ismail, offers "free/affordable consultancies for indies". I gather that these consultancies can cover a variety of topics, including things like budgeting and "trying to get into games". Perhaps such a consultation might help you to find a way forward.

Here's a link to a tweet containing details:
https://twitter.com/tha_rami/status/1370097754693890050?s=20

Thank you. I appreciate your help!

What I was looking for is to meet with business people, face-to-face, tell my idea from AtoZ, be considered as an equal, and then get things going. A lot of work went into this project, to make it professional, both in terms of business, game design, execution, budgeting, etc. I've been waiting for such an opportunity for decades. If that doesn't convey my dedication and seriousness, I don't know what is. Smiley
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 04:38:16 AM by theaaronstory » Logged

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2021, 09:19:01 AM »

It may be that the guy to whom I linked can advise you on how to achieve that, or--if it proves infeasible--why that might be and how you might proceed from here.

I don't know about face-to-face, but I believe that sending out pitches to indie publishers is very much a thing.

ldmn
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2021, 04:30:32 AM »

Greets theaaronstory!

Read your 2 open letters - But just mostly + quickly.

So, u mean, no hope for indies' products to succeed without biz. connections (publishers, marketers, reviewers)?

Cannot a kewl game gain fame by itself anymore - your impression is?
yeah, I guess u mean flooded Steam, etc., globally competitive markets & being undiscoverable.

But who would change the industry coz of an open letter?

+Still some great indie-like success games appear even nowadays, methinks.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic