Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 09:04:45 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArtWorkshopNeed some help figuring out if I'm improve my sprite (concept)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Need some help figuring out if I'm improve my sprite (concept)  (Read 6133 times)
bram_dingelstad
Level 0

Always up for a chat!

View Profile WWW
« on: February 21, 2021, 09:18:43 AM »

Hey guys, so first off: I'm a programmer first and everything else in gamedev second, so keep that in mind as we proceed Smiley

Now, my question: I'm working on a small roguelike on PICO8, which inherently brings some limitations on sprites as the canvas is only 128x128 and it has a limited pallete. Making a character sprite that's nice to look at and can express a range of things is preferable.

The one on the left is my old sprite, with a lot of room for facial expression.
The one on the right is my new sprite, which I thought is prettier and is more pleasant to look at.

I'm gonna probably programmatically animate/draw the new sprite's hair to enable some more dynamic hair interaction, so don't take this as it's final shape.

My questions are:

Is this a worthwhile improvement?
Is there something I'm missing, is the first sprite better?
Are there some general improvements I can do on the second sprite?

Let me know, and be nice. thx! Smiley

If you'd like to see something of my work check out:
The devlogs of the game I'm working on - My website/blog - My itch.io
Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2021, 02:03:48 AM »

Without seeing the rest of your aesthetic, it's hard to say which of the two is better, I feel.

I do feel like I like the form of the right-hand sprite a little more, as a matter of personal preference, for what it's worth.

That said, I think that there's space for some basic expression in the right-hand sprite. In particular, I could see some basic emoticon-style eyes being implemented with a few pixels--things like "> <" or "\ /", or "/ \" to express annoyance, anger, and sadness respectively, for example.

bram_dingelstad
Level 0

Always up for a chat!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2021, 03:02:31 AM »

I see what you mean, and my preference goes to the new one as well. You can click on the "devlog" thing in my signature if you want to see the rest of the aesthetic.

I'll do some experiments with the new sprite, and especially the animation idea that I have for the hair, and then come back to this thread!

If you'd like to see something of my work check out:
The devlogs of the game I'm working on - My website/blog - My itch.io
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic