Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411504 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 04:09:21 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingForester - pixel art platformer
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Forester - pixel art platformer  (Read 1436 times)
IdanG
Level 0

View Profile
« on: February 22, 2021, 11:59:08 AM »

Hi everyone,
This is a 2D Pixel Art platformer which I used as a test project while learning the Godot engine.
Link:
https://idan-g.itch.io/forester

All of the assets are free/bundle type.

Press X to draw your sword or use it. Using the sword in mid-air will slow down your fall.
Press Z to shoot a fireball or use your bow.
Press Tab to open/close the inventory.
You can redefine keys in the Settings dialog.

Any feedback or constructive criticism will be appreciated.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 11:25:11 AM by IdanG » Logged
Volcanolord
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2021, 10:36:31 PM »

I just want to say first I quite enjoyed the game. It's quite well made and the use of assets is good to make it feel consistent.

As for feedback, Sometimes I think there was some kind of delay after being attacked where i couldn't use the sword that would cause me to be sort of stun locked unless I ran out and attacked again. Not sure if this was intentional but maybe it could be displayed better if it was.

The game ran perfectly fine for the most part however it did crash after I talked to the man on the bridge about the icon above his head changing sometimes. and after I reloaded the game he was gone.

A small thing i'd change as well would be the inventory causing the music to completely turn off. I think maybe changing it so that it muffles the audio would be better as it felt quite offputting to be put into complete silence when picking a potion to use.

Overall a solid game, and I enjoyed the twist at the end!
IdanG
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2021, 11:43:04 AM »

Sometimes I think there was some kind of delay after being attacked where i couldn't use the sword that would cause me to be sort of stun locked unless I ran out and attacked again. Not sure if this was intentional but maybe it could be displayed better if it was.

The game ran perfectly fine for the most part however it did crash after I talked to the man on the bridge about the icon above his head changing sometimes. and after I reloaded the game he was gone.

A small thing i'd change as well would be the inventory causing the music to completely turn off. I think maybe changing it so that it muffles the audio would be better as it felt quite offputting to be put into complete silence when picking a potion to use.

Overall a solid game, and I enjoyed the twist at the end!

Thanks for the feedback, great to hear you enjoyed playing the game.
I'm sure you noticed it doesn't take itself too seriously.

I uploaded a new version (1.2) with the changes you suggested:

When you open the inventory, the music volume drops but you can still hear it.
Couldn't reproduce the crash after talking to the man on the bridge but I think I figured it out so it should be fixed.
If you die before the bridge, you can continue from a checkpoint with the man still standing there.

When an enemy attacks you, you are stunned for a small amount of time and your color changes to red (with the additional blood particles) and you're pushed backwards away from the enemy. This was added to prevent a fast response while the enemy is attacking so it's intentional. Otherwise I think it would be too easy.
jacek
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2021, 09:57:54 AM »

I played your game and finished it. It was an enjoyable little adventure. I wouldn't mind it being a bit longer, maybe another level in the world you are going to at the end Smiley

A minor issue I found is that sometimes when you die, your character disappears and the game freezes for a few seconds. It happened to me twice, I think it was when I had some kind of powerup that resulted in the player character blinking (invisibility perhaps) and the death animation started in the frame when the character was invisible, thus you couldn't see it. Nothing major, just letting you know. I didn't encounter any other issues. The controls feel good, difficulty level was good for me, not too easy but not frustrating (it was nice to have frequent checkpoints). I had fun playing so that's most important I think Smiley
IdanG
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2021, 10:23:17 AM »

I played your game and finished it. It was an enjoyable little adventure. I wouldn't mind it being a bit longer, maybe another level in the world you are going to at the end Smiley

A minor issue I found is that sometimes when you die, your character disappears and the game freezes for a few seconds. It happened to me twice, I think it was when I had some kind of powerup that resulted in the player character blinking (invisibility perhaps) and the death animation started in the frame when the character was invisible, thus you couldn't see it. Nothing major, just letting you know. I didn't encounter any other issues. The controls feel good, difficulty level was good for me, not too easy but not frustrating (it was nice to have frequent checkpoints). I had fun playing so that's most important I think Smiley

Thanks for trying out the game, glad you liked it.
I'm assuming you were hit by the disintegration bolt, which makes you blink a couple of times with a blue glow and die disappearing. The bolts start after you meet the fairy near the coins tree, it's her attacking you from above after being angry with you.
As the Guildmaster explains, you can use the dispel potion (green one) to counter the effect of the bolt if it already hit you as long as you drink it before you vanish completely. If it didn't hit you, you'll get an anti-bolt shield for a few seconds (you'll have a blue outline).
The game has some comedy elements, for example if you drink the invisibility potion, your character turns invisible literally and you have to control the player character without seeing it.

I'm not planning to add more levels as this was meant to be a short game you can finish in one sitting.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 10:45:51 AM by IdanG » Logged
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic