Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411511 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 01:24:16 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Vagabond Emperor - Rpg, Strategy, Sandbox - Steam Early Access
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: The Vagabond Emperor - Rpg, Strategy, Sandbox - Steam Early Access  (Read 8185 times)
liva
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2021, 05:23:33 AM »

came here to see a cool strategy game and got a ton of marketing strategy advices, keep up the good work guys

Phodex Games
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2021, 12:41:48 PM »

came here to see a cool strategy game and got a ton of marketing strategy advices, keep up the good work guys

Haha you're welcome  Cheesy

Phodex Games
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2021, 12:54:56 PM »

Your Steam page looks awesome. There is no too much text and good gif and pictures. Yes, this page is the great source of impression and inspiration.
I have a lot of features in my game. And I thought to tell about all, but it's really too big. I'm working for the new description version.
I have a question. I see, Steam page visits are growing, and viewing are lower. Is Steam have help for beginner pages help? Or something like this? I released my page 19 Feb. and after 12 Mar. visits are lower.
Thanks a lot for your help and advice.

P.S. I changed the first gameplay trailer. There was the first 15 sec. only 3 pics and no gameplay or something interesting. I fixed it, and you can watch the result)

Generally, your trailer isn't too bad and has a good length. What you could change maybe is the text. What about using a blurred background image whenever there is a text passage and place the text on top of that. Then you just make cuts between the text scenes and gameplay. That also allows you to make more cuts, which improves the pacing. I also would try a different font maybe, or change the style. I usually use uppercase text for a trailer like this. Also, try to find a good color contrast between the background image & your text (I use purple and yellow for example). Use something like this to find good matching colors: https://color.adobe.com/en/create/color-wheel

Regarding the steam views, I don't 100% understand what you are asking for, but I also have a very high conversion rate, which means I have few impressions, but pretty much store page visits, in relation to the impressions. To answer your question, yes you get a slight push from steam when you launch the store page and the game, but usually that doesn't stay for long. In the end, steam won't help you much, until you reached a certain threshold of sales, then they will push you again. That means that it's up to you to drive people to the store page, at least as long as your game is somewhat successful.

WigglingEyebrows
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2021, 07:53:56 PM »

Thank you very much. Beer!
I'm doing the new version of trailer and description with gifs now. I'll show the result soon.

About Steam views. For example, I have 719 impressions, 220 visits and 4 wishlist adding in one day. Wishlist adding can change (3-9) with same impressions and visits. Is this normal counts and percent wishlist from visits?

Phodex Games
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2021, 01:14:34 AM »

Thank you very much. Beer!
I'm doing the new version of trailer and description with gifs now. I'll show the result soon.

About Steam views. For example, I have 719 impressions, 220 visits and 4 wishlist adding in one day. Wishlist adding can change (3-9) with same impressions and visits. Is this normal counts and percent wishlist from visits?

A tip I can give you is to try focusing on the things you can do to improve and not so much on the numbers and results, because I recently noticed, with my own game, that this can be pretty unhealthy and frustrating if you know what I mean. Apart from that, yes for your type of game and especially for smaller indie games, that are pretty normal numbers I guess. I honestly don't know what you can do much about pushing those numbers. I guess if you have a large following already (say on YouTube for example) and people are coming to Steam externally, Steam will start to push your game and give you more impressions, but on steam itself, you can't do much about impressions.

I also would try a different font maybe, or change the style. I usually use uppercase text for a trailer like this.

Regarding this, I noticed that the thumbnail of the trailer you're posted has a pretty good combination of text, background, and colors. I would use the same in the trailer. Just take that background and the same font with the brown border in uppercase and with red or yellow for displaying text, but try to keep the text passages as short, you want to show as much gameplay as possible :D, still it should be readable of course.

vivaladav
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2021, 08:45:03 AM »

Yeah, you never know what you're going to find in DevLogs posts!

P.S. I changed the first gameplay trailer. There was the first 15 sec. only 3 pics and no gameplay or something interesting. I fixed it, and you can watch the result)
I would suggest you to try to make it shorter (let's say 1:30). That will force you to concentrate the interesting bits and to trim slow parts.

Also, you should try to have more connection between the text and the video.
For example your first 15 seconds are about becoming a king from a humble start, but the video shows a character moving around a battlefield. What's the connection there?

Creating "Virtueror, the virtual conqueror" (RTS + 4x + RPG)

[Wishlist on Steam]
[TIGS devlog][YouTube devlog][website]
WigglingEyebrows
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2021, 05:26:14 AM »

Friends, thank you very much for your help. Now it's time to show you results of work  Beer!
First the new trailer.

And the new game description is here

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1546770/From_Bum_to_King/

Tell me, do you like it? It's it become better? And one more time thanks to you Phodex Games and vivaladav for your support and inspiration! Wiggle my eyebrows in your honor! Well, hello there!

vivaladav
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2021, 10:54:11 AM »

Your trailer looks a lot better now, but I think there's still room for improvement.

You are showing a lot of menus and dialogs, which are not something very unique or exciting in any game.
I would suggest you to show more action and different content instead.

Steam page looks very nice as well, but don't worry too much about the description as players barely read it anyway.

[Wishlist on Steam]
WigglingEyebrows
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2021, 08:32:50 PM »

Thank you very much. I'm glad to hear these words) I understand, the trailer can to become better. I want to concentrate on game build now. I want to show the game to curators and streamers. And I can return to the trailer after this  Beer!

Phodex Games
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2021, 12:52:01 AM »

Thank you very much. I'm glad to hear these words) I understand, the trailer can to become better. I want to concentrate on game build now. I want to show the game to curators and streamers. And I can return to the trailer after this  Beer!

I think it's way better than before. Good job. Cool to see our feedback getting executed :D. You know there is always room for improvement, but it's definitely fair enough now. Also, the shop description looks much more lively now! Good job! I wish you the best of luck with the game.

WigglingEyebrows
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2021, 06:44:50 PM »

Thanks for your help. You Beer!, Phodex Games and vivaladav, gave me the direction for increase quality of the Steam page. Your advices are right. And I'm seeing my page and I like the result! I hope, other people will see the result and become happy too. Smiley

WigglingEyebrows
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2021, 06:16:05 AM »

I have a question. I saw the event "Steam Next Fest" a few days ago. I think, developers read about this event.

Announcing Steam Next Fest, a multi-day celebration of upcoming games. Explore and play hundreds of game demos, watch developer livestreams, and chat with the teams about their games in progress, coming soon to Steam.

The registration will close April 14th, and the game must be released after 22 June.
I replaced my release date to 31 May 2 weeks ago. I think, my game may participate on the event. I don't know, is it helps my game. But need to replace the release date one more time, after 22 June. It is not good, isn't it?
And there is a question. Should I replace the release and show demo of the game on the event? Or skip event and release on 31 May as planned?
Thanks for help and any advice)

vivaladav
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2021, 07:39:37 AM »

Should I replace the release and show demo of the game on the event? Or skip event and release on 31 May as planned?
Thanks for help and any advice)

Can you afford to delay the release until the end of June? If yes I would definitely wait for the festival.

Also keep in mind that:
Games may only participate in one of the following game festivals: Autumn 2020, February 2021, or June 2021.
So if you already took part in any previous festival (and you should have), you can't take part in the next one.

[Wishlist on Steam]
WigglingEyebrows
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2021, 08:37:52 PM »

I don't take part in any festival. It needs the separate registration and demo. I don't do anything of it.
It doesn't look like you have permissions for any games that meet the eligibility requirements for the Steam Next Fest - June 2021
says Steam
But I think it will change, if I change my release date.

Is changing release date bad? The people had my game in the wishlist already. Are they will receive the message about release date changing? If replace isn't so bad, I will go to the festival  Well, hello there!
If I replace the date to 30 June, for example, does it match with Steam summer sales? I heard, a release during big sales is not good
Tell me in details, any info will be useful. Thanks

Phodex Games
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2021, 04:31:35 AM »

I don't take part in any festival. It needs the separate registration and demo. I don't do anything of it.
Is changing release date bad? The people had my game in the wishlist already. Are they will receive the message about release date changing? If replace isn't so bad, I will go to the festival  Well, hello there!
If I replace the date to 30 June, for example, does it match with Steam summer sales? I heard, a release during big sales is not good
Tell me in details, any info will be useful. Thanks

Honestly, those are the thought decisions you have to make yourself. Nobody really can tell you the answer if it would be good to delay it or not. The only thing I can say is that IF you are going to delay the game, just communicate that with your community (and press if you have reached out to them already) and tell them the reason and everything should be fine. Use YouTube, email list (if you have one), steam announcements, etc to communicate it. In the end, you have to decide and you can only know if it was the right decision afterwards. I will probably also participate in the festival, but I its hard to tell how beneficial its going to be.

WigglingEyebrows
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2021, 06:11:47 AM »

I will probably also participate in the festival, but I it's hard to tell how beneficial it's going to be.
Yes, these are the right words, I think about this. I heard about the festival, it sounds good. But I literally don't know what beneficial I will have. Does give many followers, wishlist or not? May be anybody have experience of participation in the same festival?

Honestly, I want to make the good working build as fast as I can. And I want to find curators and streamers, show build them. I plan to concentrate on it and hope, it gives more result.
I don't want to replace release and stay waiting people of my wishlist without serious cause. Likewise, I understand and take responsibility.

It's hard to say, I understand, but how many wishlist count approximately will be for good Steam start on release day? For Indie game like mine.

Thanks and any advice will be useful.

Phodex Games
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2021, 03:57:21 AM »

It's hard to say, I understand, but how many wishlist count approximately will be for good Steam start on release day? For Indie game like mine.

Well as much as possible of course, but I guess that doesn't answer your question Cheesy. It depends on your situation. You can calculate it yourself. First what amount of money do you need to or want to earn with the game. Basically, you need to earn MORE money than you spend for the production, which also includes the living expenses you spend while producing the game. Let's say you worked on the game for one year and you spend 15.000$ on living expenses, assets, marketing, etc, then you need to earn at least 15.000$ in net revenue before you even start to make a profit, but keep in mind that you usually want to earn at least twice as much as you spend (so 30.000$ in this example) so you can directly fund your next game.

Usually, from what I have heard, the steam wishlist conversion is 20-30%. That means if you have 100 wishlists, roughly 20-30 will buy in the end. Than you multiply that with the amount your game costs minus 30% (steam share) minus taxes you need to pay. The formula would look like this:

[Estimated sales * (cost of your game * 0.7 (steam share 100% - 30% = 0.7) * taxes (0.1 - 0.5 depending on your state))] - production cost = estimated profit

Of course, there are also quite a lot of people that buy the game without wishlisting. But I can't tell you a number here, but probably that are more than 50% of your sales.

WigglingEyebrows
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2021, 02:30:14 AM »

Thank you very much for detailed information. I fill, "From Bum to King" becomes to economic simulator)

WigglingEyebrows
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2021, 08:41:29 PM »

It was much work with the game build. I forget about the festival totally. And I still don't know what beneficial it can give to me.
Please, give me advice, should I go to the festival? Would you go in my situation? I understand, I'm doing my decide, but want to know more info.
Thanks.

P.S. How I can insert Steam Widget here?

P.S.S There is a few grand battle screenshots for fun :-)

WigglingEyebrows
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2021, 07:14:47 PM »

Ok, I think, I'm going to the festival.
So, I need to replace my release date after 22 Jun. It's the bad idea to set the release date on Steam sales, as I heard.
Google says - Steam summer sales is 24 June - 8 July. Maybe you ​have another information.
What is optimal date to replace? How much time I must wait after sales for the good date. 2 weeks? I understand, it's hard to say, and I must decide myself.
But tell me like advice, how much time waits after Steam sales to set release date? Thanks all for you support Beer!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic