Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 05:22:29 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignGTA 1 style game - physics approach
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: GTA 1 style game - physics approach  (Read 4333 times)
Topogram
Level 0

View Profile
« on: March 01, 2021, 04:16:11 AM »

I'm exploring a game idea with a similar visual style to the original GTA (top down driving) on a much smaller scale.

I'm wondering what would be the best way to approach implementing the physics of such a game. It seems that using a full 2D rigid body physics engine like Box2D is probably overkill since there is no gravity and the collisions will likely be between the player and static objects (buildings) and other cars. Having a physics engine control the motion of transient other cars on the road is probably unnecessary since they will need to be steered proactively by AI when they are on the screen.

Can anyone recommend an approach?
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2021, 03:49:26 PM »

you are making a 2d game like GTA?

Box2d is really pretty basic imo and will cover that case really well.

Golds
Loves Juno
Level 10

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2021, 09:32:35 PM »

I would just hack around with something like Box2D too. You can use it just for collision information and move the cars around manually if you want. Otherwise you'll need to roll your own collision system, which is totally doable but a lot more work.

@doomlaser, mark johns
Ramos
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2021, 11:23:37 AM »

Do not ignore the long-term attributes such as the possibility of the engine to be easily exported for consoles. Most publishers like to work with unity/unreal

michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2021, 06:31:45 PM »

I think there is a box2d implementation you can import into unity but also trying to use a system that publishers like is sort of nonsense. Publishers usually only like dealing with people who are already successful, the old entertainment business "Catch 22" that you only get help when you don't need it. Publishers do not like taking risks, they want a sure thing. The fact is that in most cases if you can get a publisher to actually send you a rejection letter you are doing better than most people.

Edit: there is a south park about how they set up a talent agency that takes 10% for doing nothing that is pretty close to what the bulk of publishers will do for you. I worked with a small publisher once that managed to get me some visibility, and I did a lot better than most people would just throwing something up on the app store but they didn't care what tech I was using, and basically the big thing they did was get apple to feature my game, other than that they basically did nothing.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic