Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411486 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 09:27:15 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsVIRTUEROR - Sci-Fi RTS with 4x and RPG elements - Jan dev update
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
Print
Author Topic: VIRTUEROR - Sci-Fi RTS with 4x and RPG elements - Jan dev update  (Read 17307 times)
vivaladav
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2021, 11:09:42 AM »

Really like the concept and visual design of this, look forward to seeing how it develops! Interested to read about how you're using vector graphics and inkscape, that's something I looked into for the UI in Relic Space though eventually opted for a different solution.
Thanks a lot!

For now vector graphics are exported to PNGs so in the end they are raster graphics, but I guess it could be interesting to explore a proper vector rendering in game. I'll do some research.

Are you using Unity, and if so how do you find the process of using vector graphics with that?
Nope, I am writing everything from scratch in C++ and I am using SDL 2 for handling low level rendering and input.
Another thing that might change in the future, but for now I am happy with it.

Creating "Virtueror, the virtual conqueror" (RTS + 4x + RPG)

[Wishlist on Steam]
[TIGS devlog][YouTube devlog][website]
vivaladav
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2021, 06:33:46 AM »

It's time for a new dev log update. Let's start with an image that summarizes all the new features:

We all know that an image is worth a thousand words, but I am sure you will appreciate a few notes on the main changes as well...

Faction selection
It took a bit of work, but now it's possible to select a faction out of 3 available.
Factions will have different strengths, so your choice will influence the way you play.
For now the only real difference is in the color of your units and structures, which might seem trivial, but after months of development where I only saw red things I am happy to see something else on screen!

Sketching a new UI
I have been using gray text and buttons for too long, so I decided to start to sketch a new UI.
You can see part of it at the top of the image above, but to see a full design watch the video I posted below.

A new material
There's a new collectible material that can be used to create units and structure. It's called blobs.
In the screenshot you can spot it at the center of the map.

And this is the dev log video where you can see things in action and where you'll get more details and info:

If you enjoyed the video likes and comments are always appreciated. Wink

[Wishlist on Steam]
Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2021, 11:27:14 PM »

Cool, I liked the video and I'm looking forward to hear about the defensive structures in the next one!

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2021, 01:43:36 AM »

The minimalism of the graphics really helps with readability, which can really make a difference when things get hectic
Ramos
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2021, 07:18:06 AM »

Very good progress.

I understand your enthusiasm for the color change perfectly. I also saw your video, the current UI from screenshots is very user friendly and clean I love it, but in the video, you also show a mockup of the downside of the screen with lots of information so here is a trick question regarding the target audience: Do you want the game to be a bit more casual and be easier to grab by a larger audience or do you aim just for hardcore players?

vivaladav
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2021, 09:06:33 PM »

Cool, I liked the video and I'm looking forward to hear about the defensive structures in the next one!
Thanks, I am glad you liked it.

Right now I am implementing the design part of the wall building and as you can see it's going great...  Roll Eyes

But seriously, it's not an easy feature to implement, but I am confident I will get most things done by next week, so I can guarantee it will be in my next video.

[Wishlist on Steam]
vivaladav
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2021, 09:10:38 PM »

The minimalism of the graphics really helps with readability, which can really make a difference when things get hectic
Thanks and yes, that's the plan.

With the right amount of work there will be more colors, more variety, more elements, particles and animations.
It will take a bit of time, but I am looking forward to looking back at this dev log to compare the before and after!

[Wishlist on Steam]
vivaladav
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2021, 04:55:12 AM »

Very good progress.

I understand your enthusiasm for the color change perfectly. I also saw your video, the current UI from screenshots is very user friendly and clean I love it, but in the video, you also show a mockup of the downside of the screen with lots of information so here is a trick question regarding the target audience: Do you want the game to be a bit more casual and be easier to grab by a larger audience or do you aim just for hardcore players?
Thanks, I am glad you like the new stuff!

To answer your question, I want to make this game accessible to a wide range of gamers who like strategy games, but I have no interest in oversimplify things to please more people. The risk of designing something that doesn't impress anyone would be high.

At the same time I know I can't compete with games that are designed and created for hardcore and competitive players.

What I would like to find is the sweet spot between casual and hardcore and to present some new mechanics that might make the game interesting and a bit unique.

I have never been a hardcore player myself, but I always loved RTS and TBS games, so if I can make something I like, there's a good chance others like me will like it as well. Time will tell of course! Wink

[Wishlist on Steam]
bacon
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2021, 08:35:03 AM »

From one pixel art isometric 4X-y game to another Beer!

CANTATA
vivaladav
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2021, 11:04:44 AM »

From one pixel art isometric 4X-y game to another Beer!
I hope you will not be too disappointed to find out mine is not pixel art, but vector graphics... Cheers anyway  Beer!

[Wishlist on Steam]
terrarray
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2021, 03:33:00 AM »

Those devlog videos are very nice. Like that they are compact and not full off "filler". Keep it up!
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2021, 05:10:06 AM »

I hope you will not be too disappointed to find out mine is not pixel art, but vector graphics... Cheers anyway  Beer!
Eh, just two different flavors of graphical minimalism pushing back against photo-realistic graphics Wink
Ramos
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2021, 06:07:24 AM »

Right now I am implementing the design part of the wall building and as you can see it's going great...  Roll Eyes

Oh yes, walls, I remember the first time I build a wall in an RTS I spammed the walls all around my base thinking they are critical for defense, imagine my surprise when the enemy attacked with tanks and found that the walls just stall time. Later I totally abandoned the idea of building walls and made turrets all over the place haha.
 I did however find a game that made excellent use of walls: Crusader because it allows troops to use walls as high ground and also provide defense for them.

That is my nostalgia speaking.

So how will your walls act? Similar to the C&C series? Can you link the walls to turrets?

Also as an extra opinion: I would totally love if I can build turret add-ons on those fort towers, but that`s just me

Turrets ... Turrets everywhere...   WTF

vivaladav
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2021, 06:07:18 AM »

Those devlog videos are very nice. Like that they are compact and not full off "filler". Keep it up!
Thanks, I am glad you like them!

I like to keep things straight to the point.
I admire devs making 15-20 mins dev logs, but to be honest that would take me ages and I prefer to dedicate more time to the actual game development... also I doubt most people watch anything longer than 5 minutes, so to me it feels like a huge waste of time (but I might be completely wrong here).

[Wishlist on Steam]
vivaladav
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2021, 06:10:47 AM »

Eh, just two different flavors of graphical minimalism pushing back against photo-realistic graphics Wink
True and I would always take a decent looking game with great gameplay over a photo-realistic, but dull one.

[Wishlist on Steam]
vivaladav
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2021, 06:21:25 AM »

Oh yes, walls, I remember the first time I build a wall in an RTS I spammed the walls all around my base thinking they are critical for defense, imagine my surprise when the enemy attacked with tanks and found that the walls just stall time. Later I totally abandoned the idea of building walls and made turrets all over the place haha.
Hehe, walls should be cheaper though, but yeah, if you can afford to make only turrets go for it and see your enemies die at every charge!  Gentleman

I did however find a game that made excellent use of walls: Crusader because it allows troops to use walls as high ground and also provide defense for them.
How not to love a game where you build castles?
I like them too much and I think my next game will probably be about that (even if I should probably finish this one before even thinking of anything else) Tongue

So how will your walls act? Similar to the C&C series? Can you link the walls to turrets?
To be honest I haven't decided yet... For sure they will block units, but I am not sure if they should completely block attacks. I haven't started to work on the combat mechanics yet, so I can't answer yet.

I can tell you there will be turrets for sure and they will be fully integrated with the walls as you can see in this early mockup:

Also as an extra opinion: I would totally love if I can build turret add-ons on those fort towers, but that`s just me

Turrets ... Turrets everywhere...   WTF
I am planning to have upgrades for the turrets and also different types. I am not sure if having add-ons makes sense when you already have different types, but I'll think about it. Roll Eyes

[Wishlist on Steam]
Ramos
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2021, 01:11:51 AM »

Since this is an RTS, my fav type of game, I like to see your informational mockups, if you have more please do share them with us

I also want to see faster progress but I understand very well that RTS is one of the hardest types of games to make.

vivaladav
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2021, 07:44:00 AM »

Since this is an RTS, my fav type of game, I like to see your informational mockups, if you have more please do share them with us
Yeah, mine too  Smiley
I'll try to post more soon.

I also want to see faster progress but I understand very well that RTS is one of the hardest types of games to make.
I would love that too!
Unfortunately it's not easy with a day job and the current stage of the project... there's still a lot of basics stuff I need to implement before I can have shorter development cycles, but I hope things will get faster in a couple of months.

[Wishlist on Steam]
vivaladav
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2021, 05:36:03 AM »

I am super excited to announce that Virtueror has a planned release date and a clear pricing structure well ahead of its launch.

RELEASE DATE
Virtueror will be released on Steam on the 1st of April 2022.

PRICING
  • Windows $14.99
  • Linux/Steam OS $1774.99
Linux price should have been $1776, but my marketing advisor told me to go for the .99 price, so you will get it even cheaper! You're welcome. Wink

You might be wondering why the difference between the 2 platforms and the answer is simple.
Windows users are 118 times more than Linux ones, hence because of the offer/demand market laws, the difference.

All this is the result of a great research work made by the top economy experts of the WSB University.

This is the chart they sent me after I paid them $10,000 for their research (but hey, totally worth it):

I am looking forward to getting your money to the release date!

If you want to be notified when the game will be out make sure to subscribe to the newsletter.

See ya all in my next update next week! Coffee

[Wishlist on Steam]
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2021, 06:02:58 AM »

MFW this turns out not to be an April fools gag tomorrow Cry
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic