Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 01:00:57 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsVIRTUEROR - Sci-Fi RTS with 4x and RPG elements - Jan dev update
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8
Print
Author Topic: VIRTUEROR - Sci-Fi RTS with 4x and RPG elements - Jan dev update  (Read 17284 times)
Ramos
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2021, 07:58:19 PM »

I am super excited to announce that Virtueror has a planned release date and a clear pricing structure well ahead of its launch.

RELEASE DATE
Virtueror will be released on Steam on the 1st of April 2022.

PRICING
  • Windows $14.99
  • Linux/Steam OS $1774.99
Linux price should have been $1776, but my marketing advisor told me to go for the .99 price, so you will get it even cheaper! You're welcome. Wink

You might be wondering why the difference between the 2 platforms and the answer is simple.
Windows users are 118 times more than Linux ones, hence because of the offer/demand market laws, the difference.

All this is the result of a great research work made by the top economy experts of the WSB University.

This is the chart they sent me after I paid them $10,000 for their research (but hey, totally worth it):

I am looking forward to getting your money to the release date!

If you want to be notified when the game will be out make sure to subscribe to the newsletter.

See ya all in my next update next week! Coffee

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2021, 10:58:29 PM »

Although I'm late, your post made my day vivaladav!

vivaladav
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2021, 05:57:32 AM »

MFW this turns out not to be an April fools gag tomorrow Cry
Don't worry, I am not turning into EA (the publisher) Grin

Creating "Virtueror, the virtual conqueror" (RTS + 4x + RPG)

[Wishlist on Steam]
[TIGS devlog][YouTube devlog][website]
vivaladav
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2021, 05:59:47 AM »

I am glad we are pretty far then...  Tongue

[Wishlist on Steam]
vivaladav
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2021, 06:01:41 AM »

Although I'm late, your post made my day vivaladav!
Hehe, glad you liked it!

And for everyone, I will post a real update next week.
I can anticipate that, as I was hoping, walls are working in game now!  Gentleman

[Wishlist on Steam]
vivaladav
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2021, 07:39:17 AM »

I took today off from work and I am going to spend most of it working on Virtueror.

It's nice to be full-indie for a day and hopefully it will be a productive day!

I think from now on I will do this once a month.

Do you ever do the same?

[Wishlist on Steam]
Ramos
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2021, 01:51:11 PM »

I feel you!
I usually take my vacations during the year to work full time on the game and those are some of the best moments in my life. The art of creations is beautiful especially when you create something you like.

What progress have you made during the day? Please continue to share with us some bullet points/mockups, screenshots, and gif`s

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2021, 02:02:57 AM »

It's nice to be full-indie for a day and hopefully it will be a productive day!

I think from now on I will do this once a month.

Do you ever do the same?

I am in the fortunate situation to be able to do gamedev almost six hours a day on average, but I never get an uninterrupted day with only gamedev and no "day job work". I am not complaining, I enjoy my day job and I know many have to work with way less time at their hands, but I think full gamedev days (and full day job days to balance them out) could be nice.

vivaladav
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2021, 10:23:33 AM »

I am in the fortunate situation to be able to do gamedev almost six hours a day on average, but I never get an uninterrupted day with only gamedev and no "day job work". I am not complaining, I enjoy my day job and I know many have to work with way less time at their hands, but I think full gamedev days (and full day job days to balance them out) could be nice.
That's gold if those 6 hours are continuous and uninterrupted...

My main problem at the moment is that there are things I can only work on during weekends because I am just too tired and not productive enough to do them after work. And of course I don't want to spend all my weekends doing only gamedev for preserving my mental and physical health!

That's really limiting my progress for now, but I have to live with it and try to do the best I can with what I have.

[Wishlist on Steam]
vivaladav
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2021, 10:29:14 AM »

I feel you!
I usually take my vacations during the year to work full time on the game and those are some of the best moments in my life. The art of creations is beautiful especially when you create something you like.

Yeah, I am definitely going to take more days off and I will also try to thread them with some public holidays to have long weekends of focused work.

What progress have you made during the day? Please continue to share with us some bullet points/mockups, screenshots, and gif`s

Talking about progress...
My morning went into finally adding support for sprite sheets to my engine so that now I don't have to load single images for every element in game.
In the afternoon I started to convert the existing graphics to sprite sheets and I did that live on YouTube for almost 3 hours:

That wasn't planned so I didn't get many viewers, but I gained 4 new subs which was pretty nice! Smiley

[Wishlist on Steam]
Ramos
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: April 06, 2021, 10:45:32 AM »

Oh good, I start the video in the background and listen to it while I work.

And about the weekend you will get used to them, me, for example, I spend 90% of the weekend working on games and during the week I can only do 1-2 hours daily because I also got the main job and those 1-2 houres are mostly marketing/pr/testing. My social life is almost zero but I am happy, better times will come.

Regarding graphics, do you plan to keep this vector-based visual or you plan on changing them in the future?

vivaladav
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2021, 09:18:11 PM »

Oh good, I start the video in the background and listen to it while I work.
Thanks, that's appreciated!

And about the weekend you will get used to them, me, for example, I spend 90% of the weekend working on games and during the week I can only do 1-2 hours daily because I also got the main job and those 1-2 houres are mostly marketing/pr/testing. My social life is almost zero but I am happy, better times will come.
Good I don't have a social life then. Roll Eyes

Regarding graphics, do you plan to keep this vector-based visual or you plan on changing them in the future?

Graphics will go through several iterations and will be improved, but the style and most of the current elements are going to stay as I feel they are different from most things I have seen and played so far.

[Wishlist on Steam]
Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2021, 11:31:03 PM »

That's gold if those 6 hours are continuous and uninterrupted...

They are not, unfortunately. But hey, it is still a lot of time.

That's really limiting my progress for now, but I have to live with it and try to do the best I can with what I have.

That's the spirit!

I also have the feeling that if you work on games let's say 2 hours a day and increase it to 4 hours, you don't get done twice as much. The more time you give the project, the more you get the feeling there is a chance it could maybe pay off, then you do more promotion and organizational and maybe business stuff and suddenly you are back to 2 hours on the game itself Wink

vivaladav
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2021, 09:45:05 PM »

It's time for a new dev log!

In the last few weeks I have been working on the following features:

• New UI - I continued my work on the UI and I designed the new buttons to control units and buildings. They might not be final yet, but I think they look much better than the old gray placeholders! Let me know what you think after watching the video.
  • Defensive structures - this is just the beginning of a something that will be in development for a long time... but it's already possible to build walls in game! The design system is to improve, but it's already possible to build complex walls that automatically adapt to to the planned design. For example segments become a corner when 2 walls meet.
  • Bigger map - the map I used so far was only 20x20 cells and it was fitting on a single screen. It was convenient for development, but I wanted to start to show more as this game will also be about exploration. For this update I created a 40x40 map, but I am aiming at maps that are going to be much bigger than that. I just need to implement map navigation/camera handling to get there, but that's what I am going to work next!

I need to decide on what else of the following 2 features I should focus the next few weeks of development:
  • 1- defensive structures. Introducing upgrades for walls and towers.
  • 2- new units and attack mechanics

I am asking the same question at the end of this video, so let me know what you would pick leaving a comment on YouTube or here.

[Wishlist on Steam]
Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2021, 01:16:35 AM »

Great update! My feeling tells me that iterating on the attack mechanics might be more important than on defensive structures. But this is just me guessing Wink

Ramos
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2021, 02:55:03 AM »

Very good progress and I must say I love the format of your new video. It is very consistent in a very short amount of time.
I wait with excitement the moment when I see combat in your neon strategy game.

vivaladav
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: April 16, 2021, 11:38:43 AM »

Great update! My feeling tells me that iterating on the attack mechanics might be more important than on defensive structures. But this is just me guessing Wink

Thanks Alain!

So far most people voted for that and I think it makes sense showing something completely new, but also something that's very important in an RTS.

[Wishlist on Steam]
vivaladav
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: April 16, 2021, 11:48:19 AM »

Very good progress and I must say I love the format of your new video. It is very consistent in a very short amount of time.
I wait with excitement the moment when I see combat in your neon strategy game.

Thanks, I am trying to keep it short and I am slowly getting to a format I like too, hopefully people will enjoy it.  Smiley

How not to love bright bunch of pixels exploding on your screen? I can't wait to see it as well.  Wink

[Wishlist on Steam]
vivaladav
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2021, 08:18:53 AM »

As now I have more things to show and it's Saturday I thought it was a good a good occasion to do a #screenshotsaturday post and to show you something new:

In this image you can see all the new features I described in my latest dev log update. You can also see them in action watching the YouTube video I shared there.

I have also added this screenshot to my initial post as I want to keep it updated with the latest stuff.

I hope you will like it!  Smiley

[Wishlist on Steam]
Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2021, 10:50:46 PM »

I never realized that some of your mountains are black. Sorry if you explained it already, but I'm curious what this is about.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic