Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411482 Posts in 69370 Topics- by 58426 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 23, 2024, 10:29:35 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCute Though Irrational (2d top-down action-shooter, browser playable)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Cute Though Irrational (2d top-down action-shooter, browser playable)  (Read 2128 times)
airbug
Level 0

Human person

View Profile
« on: March 08, 2021, 04:44:26 PM »

Cute though Irrational  Gentleman

Reusing this thread, with just a slight rename and for a new project.

More info to come!

« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 09:31:37 AM by airbug » Logged

airbug
Level 0

Human person

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2022, 08:14:51 PM »

I'm working on a top-down 2D pixel-based shooter called "Cute though Irrational".

I played around with similar ideas before. But I have now decided to make an actual releasable game (and release it!)

The current plan is to target PCs (Windows/Mac OS/Linux.)

There isn't much, currently. You can get in. Shoot the enemies. Spawn a bit more.

(The gif doesn't do justice to what actually renders. See the video below instead!)

And oh, I'll keep making online builds (playable in the browser) available here: https://game.6th.app/cti

Please give it a shot if you're interested!  I'd especially love to hear your thoughts on the movement and shooting mechanics.

It won't work well on mobile/tablets as I haven't added any controls for those. On Windows and Linux, I tested only Chrome based browsers.

Input options:

- Keyboard WASD/Shift + Mouse (shoot any direction)
- Keyboard WASD/Shift + YGHJ/Space (directional shooting)
- Gamepad dpad + abxy + LT + RT  (directional shooting)
- Gamepad twinsticks + LT + RT (shoot any direction)

(To make gamepad work, just move the mouse cursor out of the way, like top of the screen.)

Looking forward to sharing more, and I'm always looking for constructive feedback!  Thanks in advance.

My goal is to make this an fast-paced game filled with action, good enemy AI, replayability through player skill acquisition (similar to some e-sports 3d games, maybe.)  

Well. BIG ambitions! I'm hoping to deliver though.

Thanks again!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2022, 01:12:02 PM by airbug » Logged

Beastboy
Level 3

Happy birth day mom!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2022, 10:06:26 PM »

Very cute indeed
airbug
Level 0

Human person

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2022, 11:08:59 AM »

Very cute indeed

Thank you Beastboy! Also a bit irrational, don't you think?

Bloopers Edition!

Or how some game bugs are funny.

Not a lot of updates from last time. (Some particle effetcs, some basic UI etc...)  but I had to share this.

I was supposed to give guns to the "enemies."  I had enabled random occasional rare shooting on the guns to test things out, but it turns out I forgot to attach the guns properly. And hilarity ensued on the first run Smiley

I added a whole bunch of enemies (and hence guns) at the second half for even more chaotic fun.

I'm kind of imagining scenario as, my hero entering the scene, and everyone like automatically drops their weapons. They aren't sure if this guy is just a show-off or not, but the vibes they're getting scares them shitless.  All drop their weapons at once!

Overtime, as expected, everyone dies (unexpected truisms). Well, everyone but the people inside the walls(!)

Anyway, this was an amusing distraction, that I perhaps took too far. Hope you guys enjoyed it even if just a bit!

PS. If you want to play with this "buggy" edition, it's the version currently deployed! (https://game.6th.app/cti)  Until I publish a newer version.  Note that another bug was that I wasn't cleaning up properly when the supposed owner of the gun "dies".  Corresponding gun disappears, but the physics shape stays creating lots of invisible material ("dark matter?") around. Spawn a whole lot of the baddies with F2 and check out the physics shapes with F3.

Next post: I want to talk a little about the technical aspects of the project. Let's see when.

Edit: Enemies now hold onto their weapons and can actually point them at you. Occasionally shoot too. The game link points to this updated version now. Note: demo doesn't work well with mobile devices because there are no mobile controls implemented (yet.)  Here's how it looks:

« Last Edit: January 21, 2022, 01:18:43 PM by airbug » Logged

airbug
Level 0

Human person

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2022, 09:05:53 PM »

So, I'm trying out a simple 2-bit (4 color) aesthetic. What do you think between...

...and the video from the last post (just after the edit?)

Note: the purple is just a "debug" color, to show the outlines of physics collision shapes.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 11:02:14 PM by airbug » Logged

airbug
Level 0

Human person

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2022, 05:37:13 PM »

New sprites, animations, sounds and a color theme.

I also added a godmode to help test things out.

I won't be able to focus much on the project until Feb 15 or so due to other priorities.

airbug
Level 0

Human person

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2022, 03:12:10 PM »

Simplified the gameplay a bit. Removed enemy guns. Made player's gun faster. Some other small changes.

airbug
Level 0

Human person

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2022, 10:53:25 AM »

Added auto-aim and new characters. Feels a bit like an actual game now. Would be great if someone (who is not my immediate family/friend) gave this a try. It's playable on the web, though audio is a bit shitty with the browsers

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic