Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 07:20:31 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCarpathian Night - A tribute to retro horror platformers
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Carpathian Night - A tribute to retro horror platformers  (Read 1156 times)
Tezcatek
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: March 09, 2021, 05:46:46 AM »

Some legends refuse to die.
Prince Dracula, Lord of the Vampires, has returned from the halls of Scholomance with the army of the dead at his back! Guide vampire hunters Abbot Dorin and Irina Dracul across the monster plagued countryside and into the heart of the ancient Castle Dracula!

Hello everyone! My name is Cesar H, co-founder of the newly formed indie developer Tezcatek. We are currently working on our debut game, Carpathian Night! The game has been a hobby side project of ours for a few years now, and we are going to try our best to get the game funded this year and hopefully finished sometime early next year.

We have released a few demos in the past to collect feedback, and we are planning to release our biggest demo yet, this time on our Steam page. Target date for this Steam Demo is late April or May.

Background
I started this project many years ago while I was still a student. I wanted to create a game that I would be personally passionate about, something that I would be excited to play for myself and enjoy making. As you may have guessed, one of my favorite video game series is Castlevania, and SCIV is my favorite entry of that long running series of games. I love the post SotN exploratory platformers as well, but my favorite has always been SCIV.

Fandom aside, a big reason I wanted to make a game that iterates on the formula established by SCIV is simply because its the only game of its kind in the series. It's a divisive game in many aspects, because the gameplay mechanics the game introduced into the series broke a lot of what the fans traditionally associated with the series, such as the difficulty balance. As much as I love SCIV, I tend to agree with the criticism the fan community has for this game, and I think its a really interesting game design task to make a game that retains what I loved about SCIV while using the community, as well as my own vision, to guide the design of what should hopefully be an improvement on the formula.

I've involved the Vania fan community from the very beginning, so this is definitely a game made by the fans, for the fans. Many of the people working on the project were recruited from the Vania fan community. This game is fueled by genuine passion for the subject and we hope to see this task through to completion.

I'll be posting updates here and elsewhere, but feel free to ask me anything about the project. We don't like to hide behind closed doors, we have a much more open game development process, and the game has gotten better as a result.

Thanks for your time and I hope you enjoy your time in Dracula's beautiful (pixelated) homeland.

Screenshots:

Gameplay Footage:

Social Media:
https://www.facebook.com/carpathiannight/
https://twitter.com/CarpathianNight

Twitch:
https://www.twitch.tv/tezcatek

Steam Page:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1445740/Carpathian_Night/

« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 10:20:47 AM by Tezcatek » Logged

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2021, 10:09:58 AM »

This is such a cool looking project, Cesar! I am a huge fan of horror classics and love how you combined these Nosferatu-like silent movie scenes and titles with your gameplay footage in the video. I wish you all the best for the development of this beauty!

Beastboy
Level 3

Happy birth day mom!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2021, 11:20:21 AM »

Top quallity pixel art, i like it.
Tezcatek
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2021, 12:04:23 PM »

I am a huge fan of horror classics and love how you combined these Nosferatu-like silent movie scenes and titles with your gameplay footage in the video.

Thanks. Paying tribute to the classic horror films that inspired Castlevania is one of the aspects we wish to retain, simply because I love classic horror cinema. Nosferatu, Dr. Calagari, Haxan, The Golem... lots of great films from the silent era.

vdapps
Level 5

Head against wall since 2013

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2021, 01:13:25 PM »

It looks like solid platformer, cool! Kiss I like game setup, as I'm from Slovakia (major part of Slovakia is covered with Carpathian Mountains, albeit most famous Carpathian folklore is from Romania). Looking forward to see how this project will be progressing. Coffee

Tezcatek
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2021, 07:56:43 AM »

It looks like solid platformer, cool! Kiss I like game setup, as I'm from Slovakia (major part of Slovakia is covered with Carpathian Mountains, albeit most famous Carpathian folklore is from Romania).

Very cool.  Beer! We've heard similar from fans in Ukraine. I've mentioned to the team that I'd like to do some hiking in the Carpathians once this project is completed.

Working on the castle interior. I've spent most of my development time up to this point working on the Borgo Pass section of the game, which is mostly outdoor or natural environments. I'm excited to finally start working on the main section of the game. Our first screenshot of the castle below.

Tezcatek
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2021, 02:38:13 PM »

It's been a while since I've updated, but what better occasion than now! We recently released our first Steam demo, big milestone for us. The positive reception so far is encouraging.

For anyone interested, demo page is here:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1445740/Carpathian_Night/

Next big milestone is the Kickstarter campaign! First time attempting one so not sure what to expect, but we will try our best.

Beastboy
Level 3

Happy birth day mom!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2021, 08:09:14 PM »

Congratulations!
Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2021, 12:12:39 AM »

Nice, congratulations! I spotted some good old candle whipping (or rather brazier stabbing) in your trailer on Steam Wink

Tezcatek
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2021, 11:01:41 AM »

Thanks for the well wishes everyone.

It's been a long road getting here, but we are finally ready for our Kickstarter campaign. I'm definitely feeling the pre-launch anxiety... this will be our first time attempting a crowdfunding campaign. I don't know what to expect, but at least I know the reception to our game has been very positive so far, so that gives me hope.

If you want to follow the campaign, link is below:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cesarhernandez/carpathian-night

Tezcatek
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2021, 04:52:47 AM »

We are live!

We invite you to drop by our Kickstarter campaign! It's taken us years to get to this point, so we are very excited for this milestone.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cesarhernandez/carpathian-night

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2021, 11:48:14 PM »

That's great, good luck with the campaign!

Tezcatek
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2021, 11:09:54 AM »

We are on day 3 and we are at 17%. This has been a good learning experience, only after 3 days I already know several things I would have done differently. But I can't get ahead of myself, I still have to focus on getting through the remaining 83%!

That's great, good luck with the campaign!

Thanks! We will do our best!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic