Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 03:15:49 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Best languages
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Best languages  (Read 2186 times)
Bosmgo
Level 0

View Profile
« on: March 18, 2021, 10:25:28 PM »

Hello all I know this is an incredibly dull and over-asked question, but what are the best programming languages to begin game development? How long does it take to master such languages?
ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2021, 06:08:55 AM »

The best language is the one you can use most comfortably, which is subjective. That's why there are so many! My personal journey started with HyperTalk, which was a light scripting language for HyperCard that probably wasn't meant for any serious work. After getting comfortable with it and outgrowing its limitations, I moved on to Lingo, which was more or less an evolution of HyperTalk that ran in Macromedia Director. The same outgrowth happened again several years later, and I started dabbling in lower level languages, eventually taking a weekend to get familiar with C. I fell in love instantly, and it's been my primary language for nearly 20 years now.

HyperCard and Director don't really exist anymore, and I don't feel like C would be a particularly great starting point before having learned basic principles in a more forgiving environment. I'd imagine a modern version of my journey would look something like: GML in GameMaker -> C# in Unity -> C++ with a custom framework. Both GameMaker and Unity are pretty capable on their own, with a lot more room to grow than I had with the tools I chose - either of them might end up meeting all of your needs on its own.

There are a lot of nearly-universal principles of programming you'll learn with the first language you try, which makes any other language a whole lot easier to pick up. You can pretty much start with anything and use it as a springboard to understand what your needs actually are. It just takes some time, dedication, and curiosity.

Bosmgo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2021, 04:54:53 PM »

Thanks for the response!
qMopey
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2021, 07:20:29 PM »

For a total beginner I'd recommend giving game maker a try! Lots of cool games have been made recently by people who are very new to programming, and some have even made huge amounts of success.

Other than that I completely agree with Thems Smiley
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic