Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 12:16:15 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Workflow of pixel art meant for CRT display
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Workflow of pixel art meant for CRT display  (Read 4969 times)
diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« on: March 29, 2021, 05:44:47 AM »

HEy all

If you are making art meant for a specific type of display, ideally you would have the display at hand to preview it while working. Unfortunately that's no good for me, I need a good emulation on my screen, either in the program itself or external program etc. Does anyone have any experience with this? any suggestions?

My current solution is inconvenient. I'm making a Mega Drive game, so I use an emulator with a good filter that imitates the visual I'm after. So in order to preview my work I have to export the art, recompile the game, and launch it in the emulator.

My editor of choice is Aseprite; I would really love to have a small preview right there.

diegzumillo
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2021, 01:55:16 PM »

Interesting! this project compiled just fine here and it looks nice. But you're right, making this part of my workflow will definitely take time, and I don't know if it's worth it.

diegzumillo
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2021, 03:25:49 AM »

haha it's funny you mention that about aseprite. See, I've been considering software development as a plan B in my life, (plan A is not working out) and one of my tasks to start on that path is to contribute to an open source project. My first thought was to add CRT filter to the preview window of aseprite.

I still have a few more weeks of plan A though Tongue

diegzumillo
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2021, 09:55:08 AM »

Good luck to you! Is the Mega Drive game you've mentioned this one in the DevLogs? That looks awesome, really dig the animations and the aesthetics (it reminds me a bit of Flashback, need to read more on the gameplay later on). Keep it up! These are tough times...

Thanks! But no, plan A is a career in science. Apparently that's not going to work in the current situation of the world/my country. Plan B is software dev because as a physicist I can more or less code and understand math. I have friends who made the transition, so it's possible.

Game dev is my current and always hobby!

Maybe I'll give this CRt project a shot eventually.

Beastboy
Level 3

Happy birth day mom!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2021, 03:07:52 PM »

I love contra hardcorpse, that boss was amazing when i first encounter it in the junkyard map. I played contra on console and on emulator and i prefert the old school tv visuals but both are nice
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2021, 04:16:28 AM »

This might not work for every kind of art brain, but it should definitely be good enough to just make some art that you check through a filter for a while to take mental notes of how the characteristics change on the pixel level and then work with that in mind.
If you're going for a genuine old school look, these megadrive artists on a schedule rarely obsessed that much over precise pixel arrangement. Not the way modern pixel artists do with our matrix of crisp squares and all the theoretic advances on places like pixelation.org.
Additionally, "mistakes" will be somewhat obfuscated anyway.
For these reasons, there aren't really any CRT-specific techniques to unlock for the purpose of looking like a game from the 90s.

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic