Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 12:58:36 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSkullKeys - Action platformer with a story made in Godot
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: SkullKeys - Action platformer with a story made in Godot  (Read 800 times)
Elrinth
Level 0

View Profile
« on: March 31, 2021, 02:55:13 PM »

Still no name for the game.

Here's two screenshots. More to come!

Working with my big brother on the game so there is a bit of conflict of design.
I'm trying to make my dreamgame (have had ideas for a long long time) while big bro just wanna throw in whatever which is fine because it feels like we are making ALOT of progress.
We are finding middle point between what we want to make and hopefully it's going to be a great game :D

Started working from Godot tutorials a week ago and we've come quite awhile. I never used Godot before. It's quite powerful! Godot makes things much easier than coding everything from scratch :D

But we got two enemies so far, a bat and a skeleton plus sort of a trap in the wall like in spelunky which fires arrows all the time.

The main char is some kind of pirate at the moment who can duck (down), jump (Space) & throw bombs (X button).
He can place torches aswell (Z). It's not what I've wanted for the main char, but I guess we can replace him later.

My idea is that there should be some grappling hook mechanic at a later time. A bunch of more abilities for our main char to be able to use to traverse the different stages/worlds.
The game's stages and world is to be built interconnected, ala Metroidvania. So you can go back to previous areas with newly acquired weaponry which allows for progession.

We'll try to work in exp-/stat-/item drop-/equipment- system etc at some time. But for now, we just making whatever comes to the mind and polish things all the time.

A short build available here for windows (64bit): https://thefirstboss.com/test.7z
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 03:55:27 AM by Elrinth » Logged
Elrinth
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2021, 10:56:00 AM »

Changes:
* We added some hearts for health. Bombs deal half a heart damage. So you can use them to bomb jump Tongue
* Also added some moving platforms for testing purposes. Was quite an ordeal to get them to work properly.
* Then we also added some spikes which insta-kills the player.
* Also made it so you respawn at the starting point after 3secs. The enemies currently don't respawn however.

Elrinth
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2021, 03:57:00 AM »

Ok so we have a game name now: Skull Keys.
mera
Level 0

good morning

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2021, 05:23:10 AM »

that pixel art looks GOOD!
Elrinth
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2021, 01:40:27 PM »

Thank you for the kind words mera!

Big bro drew another character, and now he's currently the one you can play as. You can attack with C, throw bombs with Z, place torches with X and jump with space and duck with down. Basically just squeezes the player together as we don't have any duck graphics Tongue

Here's some footage I recorded where you can swing a sword at an enemy:

Elrinth
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2021, 12:04:23 PM »

So big bro bought the domain, now we're serious: http://skullkeys.com/
He spent some time animating the logo in Blender and I absolutely love it!

As for game dev we've polished and played around alot in Godot.

I've successfully made it so bomb explosions can detect tiles it's colliding with and turn them from a certain tile into nothing and spawn 4 small tile particles flying around. Meaning you can now bomb certain tiles. Ala Metroid :D The particles are currently just a tilemap each with the same tile but scaled down to half size. So we need to figure out a way how to cut the tile into 4 individual pieces. Also if we forgot to turn of tileset collision the particles started flying around like superman because they were always colliding with their particle collider. It looked hilarious, but took quite a few hours to debug haha :D

We've made a trap-button which when you step on it, it can activate things like a falling barrel. If it has enough velocity and hits the character, it will deal damage and break into 4 pieces. This was easier, because barrels aren't in a tile map, they are using the same sprite. If you use the samesprite, you can just set animation row & col to 2 and then set frame: 0,1,2,3 depending on which piece of the barrel you want. Then we have 4 individual colliders and depending on which frame you use, it will use corresponding collider.

Also we had idea to make a 2-player minigame where you bomb yourself up a tower to the top and the first one who gets to a flag in the top wins the round. If you bomb too much, you'd lose.

Currently bombs have problem sticking to moving platforms so that's something which needs to be looking into. I think they need to have their own down-vector collider which can detect platforms.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 12:13:38 PM by Elrinth » Logged
Elrinth
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2021, 10:09:40 PM »

Chlog:
* Fixed so bomb explosions now remove teh correct amount of tiles using the algorithm here: https://gamedev.net/forums/topic/671422-find-tile-coordinates-within-a-given-radius/5250074/
Previously I was just removing a square of tiles, but now it removes a more proper amount of tiles depending on the explosion radius.
* Fixed so player doesn't keep velocity from just before death for next respawn lol :D
* Fixed so bombed level tiles return back to initial state after player respawn. I basically just store a duplicate of the TileMap inside itself, which we then call a function we made call Reset()
* Fixed explosion feel a bit, so player gets affected more the closer it is to the center. And there is a minimum affection force aswell. so even if you are affected at the very edge, you are still affected.
* Made bombs stick to moving platforms a bit better (still not perfect)
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic