Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411274 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 03:50:41 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsOrbis multiplex: A simualtion oriented 4x indie strategy game on planetary scale
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Orbis multiplex: A simualtion oriented 4x indie strategy game on planetary scale  (Read 1610 times)
terrarray
Level 0

View Profile
« on: April 01, 2021, 06:00:58 AM »

Hi. I'd like to introduce my game Orbis Multiplex, which is currently in very early development.

Orbis multiplex will be a complex simulation oriented 4x strategy game on planetary scale. The player will control a nation from late stone age all the way up to the modern era. The world will be dynamic and react to the players actions. Chop down forests and the land may get more dry and even start to desertify. Hunt animals to aggresively and you might make a vital foodsource extinct. Place industries along the wrong rivers and pollutions traveling downstream might kill key fishing areas. Actions and reactions would be one way to summarize the core philosophy of the game.

If you would like to know more about the project you can visit the itch.io page https://terrarray.itch.io/orbis-multiplex

The game is currently a glorified planet generator. Once im satisfied with the initial simulation i will begin to work on the game mechanics. I would very much like to hear about the communites thoughts about the project. All feedback is good feedback
« Last Edit: February 04, 2022, 08:27:35 PM by terrarray » Logged
terrarray
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2021, 06:05:21 AM »

Schrompf
Level 9

C++ professional, game dev sparetime

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2021, 01:16:33 AM »

Nice tech! Your planets currently look like globes, though, and I'm not entirely sure if this is intentionally.

In case it's not: desaturate the green, don't use a rainbow gradient, employ some athmosphere shader

Snake World, multiplayer worm eats stuff and grows DevLog
terrarray
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2021, 01:52:53 AM »

Thanks for the feedback.

The program does contain various GUI filters which changes the colormaps used. The 2 filters used in the images posted are elevation and temperature. A google-earth-like filter is something i plan to implement later on, and an athmosphere shader also sounds nice. I have an academic background so looking at rainbow gradients and other non-realistic colormaps is sort of standard. For a game i agree that these colormaps are not optimal, but hey, it's just a demo at this stage. Probably 2-3 years away from release.
Schrompf
Level 9

C++ professional, game dev sparetime

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2021, 03:48:45 AM »

Oh, cool thing. Good luck on your endeavours.

Snake World, multiplayer worm eats stuff and grows DevLog
terrarray
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2021, 05:15:47 AM »

terrarray
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2021, 10:02:20 AM »

terrarray
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2021, 08:05:58 PM »

terrarray
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2021, 06:42:03 AM »

terrarray
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2022, 07:51:46 AM »

It's been a while since the last post. This last video is a walkthrough of the resource and industry systems that I've implemented. Industries can be built by players on tiles. These industries then consume/produce resources which are transported  between tiles. This is an initial implementation and there is still A LOT do to.

The game can be downloaded here: https://silvatem.itch.io/orbis-multiplex
terrarray
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2022, 01:45:56 PM »

mobilelast
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2022, 02:17:14 PM »

That's interesting.

I have only practiced terrain generation on a smaller scale by using diamond-square and different Perlin-variations; isolated islands (or lakes with y-axis inverted) without proper rivers or mountain ranges. But I'd like to try something more realistic at some point. I have to go through your videos with better time.

Avaruustaistelupeli (ATP) - a space combat game
- Free download from itch.io or IndieDB
- Dev diary here
terrarray
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2022, 08:27:02 PM »

I don't go over all the features in detail in my videos. But the most important one about erosion algorithms is devlog 6. I've but together a trello page with links to some relevant papers: https://trello.com/b/557Wdby6/interesting-resources. I also started in 2D back in 2018.

Would be nice if more people simulated these kinds of systems.
terrarray
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2022, 11:35:02 AM »

Rivers now create vegetation in the desert. I've also added some more variation in the initial perlin noise, for generating elevation.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic