Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 02:17:57 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRuby's Quest: An arcade-style dungeon crawler
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Ruby's Quest: An arcade-style dungeon crawler  (Read 1894 times)
Marscaleb
Level 0

View Profile
« on: April 01, 2021, 01:21:27 PM »

Hello fine folks; I wanted to start sharing my development progress for my game.

I am tentatively calling this "Ruby's Quest."  You play as Ruby, a half-dragon half-human woman trying to reclaim her inheritance.
The gameplay is going to be like a very watered-down dungeon crawler; I'd say it's arcade-style since its closer to being like Gauntlet than like Diablo.  (But I guess we'll see what comparisons are more apt when more of the design gets finalized.)

My goal is to finish and publish a game while my dad is still around.  He has Alzheimer's.  The name I am using for my gaming studio is adapted from the name of the company he and his father used to run, so I am also trying to meet a level of quality I feel is worth tying a family legacy to.
I am open any help if anyone is interested in contributing to this project, but my real purpose in posting here is just to share my progress.

Here is a video showing what I have right now:

« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 06:20:02 PM by Marscaleb » Logged
Rubmon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2021, 07:11:46 PM »

Hi, nice touch with the darkening effect, good luck with the project and best wishes for your father.
Marscaleb
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2021, 05:25:04 PM »

Hey thanks!
It took me a number of iterations to get the darkening effect to work.  I was originally using a shader I found online that enabled shading and shadows on sprites in Unity, but it lit each side of the sprite individually, so when you walked past a light source you would suddenly turn dark while you are still halfway through.
This version just has trigger zones that set the color value of the sprite.  Sometimes the simplest solutions work the best!
Marscaleb
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2021, 02:46:20 PM »

So this month I started putting together a mountain area.

I'd love to hear any feedback about these designs.  What looks good?  What needs to change?

I'm thinking of calling it "Mt. Karro" What's your first thought about how that name is pronounced?
Marscaleb
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2021, 06:43:50 PM »

Here's a video update showing what I've been working on this last month:

Marscaleb
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2021, 05:53:48 PM »

I lost six weeks of being able to work because of computer problems.  Thankfully, I'm back up and running!
Here's a video where I show monsters bumping into things while I pretend that it was actually worth the time I spent on it.

Marscaleb
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2021, 09:53:37 PM »

October update:
I made another enemy pattern, this one shoots.  And now I've begun putting these patterns into some actual animated models.
Nothing to show just yet.
Marscaleb
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2021, 06:06:28 PM »

December Update:
I put together a short (5-10 minute) prototype to try to get some feedback on the basic combat.  I feel it is lacking something and I welcome any advice to help me find what I need to change.

Download available here:
https://marscaleb.itch.io/rubys-quest-prototype
Or here:
https://eightballgaming.com/rubys-quest-demo/
Marscaleb
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2022, 09:29:36 PM »

February 2022 Update!  Here's a video showing what's been going on since I released the demo:

Marscaleb
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2022, 05:37:41 PM »

Here's the April 2022 update.  (Just a couple days early.)

I've released an updated demo!  After getting some feedback I've expanded the systems a bit to better show what gameplay would be like.  I really would like to get some feedback on this new system.  How balanced does this feel?

One more thing: I've officially decided to rename this "Ruby's Legacy."  (Ruby's Quest was really just a working title.)

You can download the new demo here:
https://marscaleb.itch.io/rubys-quest-prototype
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic