Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 02:03:11 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralWhat's your letterboxd?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: What's your letterboxd?  (Read 5046 times)
Golds
Loves Juno
Level 10

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« on: April 01, 2021, 03:47:13 PM »

Letterboxd is my favorite new social network. It's basically all about movies and one's ratings of them and their aesthetics. It has cool data features like a histogram of your movie ratings. Here's mine:

A few of my highest rated movies

And my account is at https://letterboxd.com/doomlaser

Anyway, any movie buffs here with a letterboxd account?

@doomlaser, mark johns
Mark Mayers
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2021, 11:47:42 PM »

My friend has one of these and he tries to watch a movie a day. It seems cool but I never got into it, maybe I should?

Desolus Twitter: @DesolusDev Website: http://www.desolus.com DevLog: On TIG!
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2021, 01:35:10 PM »

might check this out, I'm always posting clips from movies obvs.

Golds
Loves Juno
Level 10

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2022, 11:12:39 AM »

Anybody else on here?

@doomlaser, mark johns
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2023, 07:24:24 AM »

Just signed up, is Frankenhooker worth it, its playing at my local indie cinema?

https://letterboxd.com/michaelplzno/

flowerthief
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2023, 11:48:58 AM »

Cool! I had an idea to build a mobile app like this a couple years back, but I guess it's fine that somebody "beat me to it".

As for histograms, don't they all end up looking about the same? The highest point as well as the mean is always at around 7, or three stars.

There was a site called Flickster that once existed and was much like this. I used it back in the day...until I realized I wasn't making any friends on it, and rating movies with star ratings is kind of pointless to do on your own.
Golds
Loves Juno
Level 10

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2023, 03:08:50 PM »

As for histograms, don't they all end up looking about the same?

You'd be surprised how varied the ratings histogram distributions look, and how they give you a ton of information about the quality of the filmmaking. They're one of my favorite letterboxd features.

@doomlaser, mark johns
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2023, 06:48:08 AM »

I have a feeling my histogram is going to be the inverse of most people's histogram, because the only movies I remember are extremely good or extremely bad movies, so most of my reviews will either be 5 stars or 0 stars.

flowerthief
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2023, 08:53:16 AM »

I have a feeling my histogram is going to be the inverse of most people's histogram, because the only movies I remember are extremely good or extremely bad movies, so most of my reviews will either be 5 stars or 0 stars.

Many a time I have sat down to watch a movie recommended to me...only to realize around 40 minutes in that I had seen it before. Mediocre movies just don't get remembered by me, to the point where they need to be watched again in order for me to remember that I've seen them before and thought they were mediocre.
Golds
Loves Juno
Level 10

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2023, 06:08:50 PM »

Personal histograms can be distorted. When I joined letterboxd originally, I spent a day or two and logged and rated almost every movie I can ever remember watching, to get a more reflective personal score.

But the histogram that's most interesting is not one's personal ratings histogram, but the histogram of ratings for any individual movie. The distribution of scores there can reveal how the wider letterboxd userbase rates a movie. It's a lot more illustrative than just an average weighted score, like you get with IMDB.

@doomlaser, mark johns
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2023, 07:09:45 AM »

It is a lot of fun, and I'm discovering some movies, thanks for suggesting.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic