Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411433 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58418 Members - Latest Member: Pix_RolleR

April 20, 2024, 07:38:13 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Godkiller - a 3D puzzle adventure
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: The Godkiller - a 3D puzzle adventure  (Read 6529 times)
ErikH2000
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2021, 02:37:03 PM »

There's this guy, Ellis Knight, that can make truly disturbing monster noises just using his own mouth. In the video below, you can hear Ellis' noises after I've edited them into a crowd of monsters.

In the same session, I manage to get the new sounds hooked up to the game. You can see that below. (It looks like the same video, but the start time on the link is forward much further.)

The Godkiller is a 3D puzzle-solving adventure game under development. It will release January 1st, 2022 on Steam for Windows and Mac. Wishlist today!

The Godkiller - a 3D puzzle adventure game that pits your character against God. Wishlist on Steam!
ErikH2000
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2021, 01:16:57 PM »

So there’s this character in my game named Billy. He’s a really pathetic and annoying guy that’s put in charge of being the main character’s mentor.

Recently, I finished writing all the dialogue for Billy and the rest of the game. It was a nice little triumph. Immediately, I sent the script off to Kyle Chrise, the voice actor cast to play Billy.

And not that much time passed, but it felt like forever. I was eager to hear what Kyle would create. And there’s this stupid thing that when I’m obsessed with my own creative project, I get sensitive that somebody I’m working with is maybe bored with it. That’s not a good way to be, but I have my flaws.

I got the email from Kyle on the day after my second Covid vaccination shot. I was feeling miserable and planning to watch some very unchallenging Netflix shows.

…but getting this email brought my energy back. I clicked the link and downloaded all the files from Google drive. It was editing time!

When I get a raw session from a voice actor, they almost always send multiple reads per line. So say there’s a line like:

The actor might read it three or more different ways. Variations could be:

• Putting stresses on different words or syllables.
  • Changing the amount of energy put into the line.
  • Playing with pauses and tempo.
  • Changing the mood or personality of the line. E.g. Billy could be smug, sarcastic, or insecure.

So the main editing task is to pick the reads I want. This is a bit more than just choosing the line that sounds best. The reads have to match the intent of the script, work well against other characters, and sound right when played together. Also, sometimes an actor will read a number of lines well, but using the same cadence. So in these cases, I need to pick the reads that give more variety as you listen.

Kyle’s reads are really good because he understands the character and scene, and explores different possibilities. He just sent me a raw, unedited dump of his recording session. It was fun for me to edit and pick out the best takes. If you want to see what that was like, check out the video below.

The Godkiller is a 3D puzzle-solving adventure game under development. It will release January 1st, 2022 on Steam for Windows and Mac. Wishlist today!

The Godkiller - a 3D puzzle adventure game that pits your character against God. Wishlist on Steam!
ErikH2000
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2021, 03:02:45 PM »

Okay, it's been a while since I made an update. I have been super-busy working on the game and handling auditions and casting for 50+ voice acting parts. There is a massive amount of acting going into this game, and a dozen songs. Here's one that I completed today with the help of two vocalists - Nina Nikolic and Aud Andrews. You can see it inside of the game in the video below.

The song is called "Queen of Forks", and it's about both kinds of forks - utensils and choices. I hope you enjoy it.

ErikH2000
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2021, 02:26:18 PM »

The Godkiller – Chapter 1 is entering public beta on August 1st!

I spent the last three years working on it, and this is a giant milestone for me. In June, we recorded 40 different voice actors, and for the first time that audio is going into the game. So when you play the beta in August, you’ll hear the booming voice of God from Martin Beadle. You’ll hear Billy’s nasty sniveling from Kyle Chrise. And you’ll hear a rich, multi-faceted performance of main character, Emm, from Chelsea Blackwell.

The Godkiller has new variations on classic Sokoban mechanics will challenge the player across 60 levels. All levels are designed so that the player never has to restart a puzzle; in fact, dying and respawning elsewhere may be an advantage in some puzzles! The story sees the newly-dead Emm traveling through a strange afterlife, and is told with fully voice-acted in-game scenes and 12 original songs with full vocals.

Currently, The Godkiller is gearing up for a public beta. The first 12 levels will be fully voice-acted, fully decorated and awaiting testers. That’s where you can help! Download the beta from the Steam store page, play to your heart’s content, and leave some feedback in our Discord. Whether you find a bug or a design flaw, or if you just want to say something nice, all your feedback will help!

To join the beta, wishlist us on Steam and choose the “Request Access” button:

* Steam store page for wishlisting/requesting access

And to leave feedback or just hang out and discuss The Godkiller, join the Discord:
* Seespace Labs Discord server

If you know any adults (18+) you know who may be interested, I'd appreciate you passing this on to them.

ErikH2000
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2022, 01:10:18 PM »

I will be honest... midway through 2021 I just burned out on nearly any kind of game promotion activities. So I stopped posting here and other places.

But I never stopped working on my game. And after four years, it is done.

Free demo and full game (Windows/Mac) available on Steam now:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1449570/The_Godkiller__Chapter_1/

-Erik

vdapps
Level 5

Head against wall since 2013

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2022, 02:08:17 PM »

Hey, congrats to Steam release! Getting indie game finished is always a feat. Gentleman

ErikH2000
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2022, 03:07:29 PM »

Thanks! Yeah, I am super glad to have it out in the world.

-Erik

michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2022, 03:25:23 PM »

congrats!

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic