Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411511 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 01:54:23 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)How to handle models if not using a scene graph?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: How to handle models if not using a scene graph?  (Read 3034 times)
tague
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: May 02, 2021, 07:57:53 PM »

So, I've seen a lot of debate online about whether scene graphs are some sort of hellish monster you should tear out of your engine or perfectly fine, and I'm a little confused about how you can not use one - as a general standard, don't many 3D assets used in games consist of multiple parented meshes w/ different materials? Wouldn't handling that kind of asset require some sort of scene graph, even if you're just keeping a graph per renderable component / "model" instead of one for the entire game and all entities?
Schrompf
Level 9

C++ professional, game dev sparetime

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2021, 10:11:54 PM »

Today's hot shit, as far as people even write a renderer themself anymore, is an Entity Component System. In this, the stuff to draw is a simple array. From my personal experience, this is almost always enough. There are some parent/child relations, but they're rare and thus better modeled via separate code that you can employ where necessary.

Snake World, multiplayer worm eats stuff and grows DevLog
tague
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2021, 03:35:00 AM »

I have been working with an ECS, I'm more so concerned about the model layer - for example, a "Player" entity might have a character model which consists of some main "body" mes, and one or more other meshes parented to it such as clothing, accessories, the eyeballs, etc.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic