Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 12:58:36 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsHive Defender - fast paced, online co-op tactics in a fully destructible maze.
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Hive Defender - fast paced, online co-op tactics in a fully destructible maze.  (Read 2798 times)
jcs_hivedefender
Level 0

View Profile
« on: May 02, 2021, 10:55:03 PM »

As of now, every major gameplay loop is implemented, and I'm gearing up for Steam's next fest.

Progression, tutorials, balance, customization, dynamic audio, etc... are all included, and feedback has been positive. Adding a few more visual customization options, and 2 more game types (endless and challenge), as well as focusing on balance and bug fixing.

Also, I've been accepted to join "The Game Incubator" here in sweden - the same one that brought out new hit titles like Valheim, and nursed Coffee Stain Studios into production (deep rock galactic, goat simulator). Very exciting! Smiley

---

Steam Page

---

Open for testing @ https://discord.gg/JwYhqp4HAU

Elevator pitch :

Hive Defender is a fast-paced and frantic new take on real time tactics that combines elements of RTS and Tower Defense games - all inside a procedurally generated and fully destructible labyrinth.

Most Recent Devlog :

Detailed pitch :

Hive Defender is a fast-paced and frantic new take on real time tactics that combines elements of RTS and Tower Defense games - all inside a procedurally generated and fully destructible labyrinth.

Take control of an alien hive mind and defend your home from human invaders! Command multiple alien swarms simultaneously, unlock and activate special abilities, and team up with friends online to beat back those pesky humans!

Plan :

Release Q3/Q4 2022
« Last Edit: January 29, 2022, 12:36:43 AM by jcs_hivedefender » Logged
jcs_hivedefender
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2021, 11:02:19 PM »

Hey guys! So for now, the basic game systems are coming along nicely.

I'm working on a PhD in physics though, so free-time is fairly limited. I can get about 10-15 hours of development in per week, although sometimes more depending on my schedule.

I try to release a devlog whenever something new or interesting happens (about once per week), or when I want to benchmark my progress or show off cool systems I'm happy with. My goals for the next one are fairly ambitious though, so it might be two weeks.

I think my biggest issue right now is drumming up interesting, marketing, and making polished youtube content. In particular, I'd love for you guys to check out the devlogs and help me figure out ways to improve the quality of my video content / the game in general. I don't have a ton of time per week to work on the videos given how limited my free-time is, and it's hard to justify 3 hours of video editing when I can only work 15 hours per week on the project. What are the best return-on-(time)-investments for making high quality videos to update friends, family, and fans about my progress and the game?
jcs_hivedefender
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2021, 03:07:27 AM »

New devlog is out. Production quality has of the devlogs and game in general has shot up, and I've opened a patreon account.
New features include :

-- Full refactor of aliens / humans
-- Optimization for local searching (4x frame rate improvement)
-- Add health to walls, actors
-- fully destructible environment
-- Death mechanics v0
-- Path & grid recalculating in real-time for follow and wall destruction
-- start menu
-- Aliens shooting
-- enemy command AI
-- distraction mechanics (hunt and kill)
-- landing pods v1
-- shields v0
-- multi-wave spawning
-- particle effects v0

But really, the best way to see them is to check out the latest devlog (front page), but also here :

jcs_hivedefender
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2021, 04:10:44 AM »

Next devlog is out, with the following updates :

-- Attach sounds v0
-- cancel distraction target on move / attack reapply
-- biomass implementation (drop on walls, humans)
-- oil spill v0 inc. oil trails
-- ordered sound effects
-- on fire animation
-- explosion v1
-- status effects v0
-- fix double wall bug
-- fix double wall bug
-- refactor audio v0
-- optimization v0 (always above 100 fps)
-- biomass UI
-- mushroom overhaul to contain 3 states and randomized
-- respawn mechanics v0
-- Single Player Screen v0
-- made 6 new character sprites
-- made 12 new alien bullet sprites
-- save system
-- implement all the sounds
-- implement visual customization screen with

Things are going great!

Stop by to check out the new cool look and sounds!
jcs_hivedefender
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2021, 08:58:33 AM »

Designing enemies for my new topdown RTS indie game, Hive Defender

Really focuses on *why* I did what I did, as opposed to just a list of what I did.

Includes 6 new enemy types, and a huge variety of basic functions such as extra damage for flanking, ability for enemies to communicate amongst one another for AI purposes, etc.
Ramos
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2021, 09:51:52 AM »

A very interesting project you have here.

That pathfinding must have been fun to make.

What type of visuals do you plan to have on the final version?

jcs_hivedefender
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2021, 11:29:30 AM »

Thanks @Ramos!

I think it's an interesting concept, and a not something that's really been explored a lot. RTS's are primarily about micro'ing (second to second positioning, attacking, etc) and macro'ing (minute by minute management of resources).

Here, I've tied the resources into the map (this idea that a wall of your hive is just an energy storage system). So as you need to activate special abilities, make more aliens, etc... you spend your resources and weaken your defenses simultaneously. The enemies don't spend as long in the maze coming towards, but your effectiveness to beat them is really ramped up.

Also, I think the RTS genre hasn't had a very "distilled" game in a long time. SCII really commands the market, besides the total war series, etc, but these are high high budget, expansive games. I really want to drill down on what makes an RTS an RTS and cut any unnecessary fat.

--

As for visuals, I really like the current style, but agree that it needs a big refresh. This week I'm implementing perks and passive/active abilities, but the next weeks after will be dedicated to visuals. I really need to add a lot to break up the monotony of the labyrinth, and increase visibility of enemies, etc.
jcs_hivedefender
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2021, 02:34:25 AM »

Finished up the perk and tactical customization feature.

Lots of new abilities that let you decide exactly how you want to play.

Since the last update! :

Tactical Customization menu & integration with save system
Override unelectable / incompatible perks
Exploding spore clouds do damage
Oil picks up fire and spreads fire to other objects
Fire status effect does damage on timer
Infected SE makes mushrooms on death
Music design (full loops, 6 layers)... not implemented!
Add placeholder animations for the few perks that still need it
Double click bug on razor teeth
Lightfoot v1
Flame retardant
Oleophobic v1
Short and Sweet v0
6-shooter v0
Sniper v0
Symbiotic spores
Dragon’s Breath
Oily Maw
Active Bomb
Time Bomb
Proximity Bomb
Regenerative Enzymes
Regurgitative Feeding
Seppuku
Overload
Chitin Shield
Mirror Shield
Adrenaline boost
Tactical Retreat
Psychotropic Spray
Active Camouflage
Energy Storage
Razor Teeth

jcs_hivedefender
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2021, 03:24:00 AM »

Lots of big changes since the last one. As of now, almost every major gameplay loop is implemented! :D

Nest health
Nests can die
Human bullets effect nests
Modular health bars
Fixed human spawn and assigned invalid nest bug
Game over screen
Check for no_remaining_nests and apply loss conditions.
End the game
Add health bars to aliens and humans
Stagger human landing pod
Add win conditions
Calculate the mutagen rewards
Store the number of games played in savedata
Unlock menu
Unlocking system & save state
Revisit the visual unlock screen to see what’s unlocked
Win screen
Visual unlock based on total play time
Manage (visual_to_unlock && tactical_to_unlock)
Implement tactical customization (AAA)
Resize unlocked visuals to fit box
Dynamic music v0
jcs_hivedefender
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2021, 11:33:54 PM »

Out of whitebox.

Literally every single visual has been upgraded in the game. Besides the positions of a few menu buttons, and the choice in font, nothing has carried over. The difference is insane.

jcs_hivedefender
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2021, 11:36:15 PM »

A very interesting project you have here.

That pathfinding must have been fun to make.

What type of visuals do you plan to have on the final version?

You asked about visuals a while back. Just brought the game out of whitebox. Might be worth checking out Smiley
vivaladav
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2021, 06:34:59 AM »

Nice progress you got there!

Are you going to release some kind of alpha/beta build soon?

Creating "Virtueror, the virtual conqueror" (RTS + 4x + RPG)

[Wishlist on Steam]
[TIGS devlog][YouTube devlog][website]
jcs_hivedefender
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2021, 12:00:13 AM »

Nice progress you got there!

Are you going to release some kind of alpha/beta build soon?

Wow man! You're that guy who's working on Virtuor, right? Horrible name, but I've been following the development from the beginning. I think you might have something there. Super cool that you commented on my post! I feel so honored Smiley

So for now, here's the plan : I have a fairly long list of things to do : tutorials, bug-fixing, optimization, an audio remaster, and some analytics... I'm also working on a PhD In physics though, so the amount of time I can invest per week fluctuates pretty heavily. I expect about a month for this to all be done because I have an even longer list of stuff to work on in the lab, which means it'll probably all ready to send out an executable in about 6 weeks.

Then, I'll launch a pre-alpha for testers, and after I get their responses, I'll post a steam page and prepare for another round of testing.
vivaladav
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2021, 07:38:01 AM »

Wow man! You're that guy who's working on Virtuor, right? Horrible name, but I've been following the development from the beginning. I think you might have something there. Super cool that you commented on my post! I feel so honored Smiley

LOL, you really don't like the name! Cheesy
But I am glad you see potential in my project. I hope I'll manage to not disappoint you, a few others and myself.

I have been following your updates here as well and I admire your constant progress.

Also I am happy to see you using Inkscape as I do the same (but you might already know that).

So for now, here's the plan : I have a fairly long list of things to do : tutorials, bug-fixing, optimization, an audio remaster, and some analytics... I'm also working on a PhD In physics though, so the amount of time I can invest per week fluctuates pretty heavily. I expect about a month for this to all be done because I have an even longer list of stuff to work on in the lab, which means it'll probably all ready to send out an executable in about 6 weeks.

Then, I'll launch a pre-alpha for testers, and after I get their responses, I'll post a steam page and prepare for another round of testing.

Yeah, it's not easy when you have a day job (or something equivalent), I know it well...

I know 6 weeks is not too much, but the risk is that they could become 8-12 and you definitely don't want that!
My advice is to let people try your game as soon as you can. You can always improve things later and nobody expects your first build to be polished.
For example I wouldn't work on optimization yet (unless you have some serious issues to solve) and I would go for a simplified tutorial with static text panels and images (not ideal, but fine to begin with).

Anyway, good luck with it and I hope I'll have the chance to try it.  Wink

Creating "Virtueror, the virtual conqueror" (RTS + 4x + RPG)

[Wishlist on Steam]
[TIGS devlog][YouTube devlog][website]
jcs_hivedefender
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2021, 10:13:30 PM »

latest dev log / summary video :

jcs_hivedefender
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2021, 11:21:15 PM »

open for playtesting :

jcs_hivedefender
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2021, 06:59:09 AM »

New devlog is a good one, focused on lore, worldbuilding, story, etc...

Played around with voice actors, 3D modeling of an entire planet, the speculative evolution and xeno-biology of the aliens you play as, and more!
jcs_hivedefender
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2021, 11:09:45 PM »

Two new devlogs this time around. I tried not posting the last one anywhere and see what youtube did with it / as a case study in click-thru rate, watch time, etc...

Anyways - huge changes this time. Slowly working on the full visual overhaul of the game.

jcs_hivedefender
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2021, 10:53:57 PM »

latest devlog :

also, website is now up and running at hive-defender.com

and the final alpha build is ready for testing. Just join the discord where you'll find the download link : https://discord.gg/GcpqMhTNwk
jcs_hivedefender
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2022, 12:29:09 AM »

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic