Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411489 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 03:46:24 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Girl Who Kicked a Rabbit OUT IN EARLY ACCESS!!!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Author Topic: The Girl Who Kicked a Rabbit OUT IN EARLY ACCESS!!!  (Read 16652 times)
Sketchwhale
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: July 18, 2022, 05:50:37 AM »

Hey, gamejam game looks cool. Now I need to fiend a friend to try it out with Wink

Let me know if you try it! I was so proud of it, that I was actually really disappointed the game jam wasn't a competition this year. Not because I wanted to win, but because I wanted to present it on stage  Beer!

We hope to add online multiplayer for the pro version :D

Sketchwhale
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: October 12, 2022, 04:23:18 AM »

October (2022... jesus christ) Update

Two thoughts entered my head after summer vacation.

Thought One

Title was wrong. Or rather, I became convinced that I could conceive the perfect title. It would have to be simple, descriptive, catchy. Three syllables. Two words. Preferably joined into a single word. My favorite game name is Bioshock. I was not able to achieve this. At an industry event a friendly narrative designer said she dug the name 'The Girl Who Kicked a Rabbit,' and although she compared it to contemporary Netflix titles, I accepted it as a compliment. So that was a lot of effort wasted.

Thought Two

I was running out of motivation for the game. More specifically, I was getting tired of not receiving any positive feedback. Twitter posts would give me 4, maybe 5 likes for a new gif, this forum is not the liveliest, I can't stand Discord, my IRL friends have been labrats for too long, and any industry professionals I meet in real life are completely unable to grok the game and request changes that are against what the game is about. Really, I just needed SOMEONE to try the game, play it with an open mind, and hopefully say "I like it. It's great. I didn't understand this part, but I like it." Maybe that sounds needy, but I was losing motivation.

Fortunately, I heard about Viborg Game Expo, and they had an indie area, where I could get a spot free of charge. I signed the game up, squashed some bugs, cordoned off a part as "demo material", had my girlfriend animate a bunch of enemies and the player character; and had Mr. Senior Principal Lead Programmer, Esq. implement an Attract Mode.

I couldn't ask my family to let me go off alone for three days to show off a game I had lost all motivation for. I was there on the second day, Saturday, and it was a great choice. Viborg isn't a big city at all, so this was a pretty small event. Still, it was a real event. Actual companies showed off upcoming games, and there were big screens blasting gameplay all over.

Indie teams got a little round cafe table for their game, and then we could pass around a Jormungandr-length HDMI cable to take turns showing off the game on a giant screen. This really justified the Attract Mode. Every time someone wasn't playing on one of the laptops, the game was still being shown off to attendees.

As the attendees, they were great. There were kids and adults, industry pros and enthusiasts. I've made a game for myself, with my own likings in mind, and I've mostly playtested it on friends, friends of friends, or people who showed up at game dev meet-ups. I had not considered at all how open-minded and experimental kids could be. They would take a few instructions and just blast off and blast through the demo, sometimes twice. They loved the game. They didn't have a lying bone in their body. Sure I received fair criticism from all sides, and I'm working to fix a lot of the issues raised, but hearing fundamentally like the game, and asking when it is done so they can buy it, was so incredibly needed.

It's not like I now believe it'll be an instant success (or any kind of success for that matter), but just hearing SOME (a lot actually) of positive feedback… At this point it almost makes me a little teary eyed. Industry pros can simultaneously be so focused on the little details and so close-minded to the slightest gameplay changes they aren't used to. To experience someone just taking the controller in hand and playing the game for what it is, is incredible.

I hadn't set up a steam or itch page prior to this, but that's definitely needed now. And I've cast aside any joke ideas about selling it for 30 dollars for reasons like "if no one's gonna buy it, I might as well sell it for what it's worth." Now, I want to sell for 10-15 dollars. I'd hate for the kids who played it and loved it, to not get the game cause they felt like they couldn't afford it.

So steam page. Itch page. Give the expo demo a good rinse and then let people have fun while I finish the game.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 12, 2022, 05:01:43 AM »

I had not considered at all how open-minded and experimental kids could be. They would take a few instructions and just blast off and blast through the demo, sometimes twice. They loved the game. They didn't have a lying bone in their body. Sure I received fair criticism from all sides, and I'm working to fix a lot of the issues raised, but hearing fundamentally like the game, and asking when it is done so they can buy it, was so incredibly needed.

This is one of the sweetest things I've ever read here!

It's also really impressive how you managed to find the right solution forward, going for it and putting yourself out there. Cheers to your bravery and perseverence man! Coffee
Sketchwhale
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: October 12, 2022, 07:39:57 AM »

I had not considered at all how open-minded and experimental kids could be. They would take a few instructions and just blast off and blast through the demo, sometimes twice. They loved the game. They didn't have a lying bone in their body. Sure I received fair criticism from all sides, and I'm working to fix a lot of the issues raised, but hearing fundamentally like the game, and asking when it is done so they can buy it, was so incredibly needed.

This is one of the sweetest things I've ever read here!

It's also really impressive how you managed to find the right solution forward, going for it and putting yourself out there. Cheers to your bravery and perseverence man! Coffee

Such kind words! I don't know about bravery, but I'll take perseverance  Grin

I cannot overstate how sweet those kids were. There was this girl, I'd guess she must have been around 14. She played it. Her mom sat next to her. She was so shy, and I thought she was getting frustrated. She just kept on playing, finished it, and then almost whispered "this is the best game here." God damn!!!

Another time I was talking to a couple of girls looking at a little boy play. We spoke about the age of the people playing and I went "so I'd guess you two are about 14-15 years old?" They get all flustered/embarrassed and reply "uh no, I'm 20, and she's 18." I had to fight with all my might to suppress a "nice." It's just to easy to misunderstand a joke.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 13, 2022, 03:02:03 AM »

Oh no... that would have been interpreted a really wrong way, yikes Cheesy

What kind of feedback did you get in terms of constructive criticism?
Sketchwhale
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: October 13, 2022, 08:39:05 AM »

Oh no... that would have been interpreted a really wrong way, yikes Cheesy

What kind of feedback did you get in terms of constructive criticism?

- Some people needed a clearer motivation for the player.
- Some confusion about controls (I had been a bit of a snob and insisted on using circle as confirm on a DS4, and the analog sticks didn't work properly so we disabled them for the demo, but people definition preferred using analog sticks)
- a lot of feedback on the tutorial. Combined with how the kids played, compared to adults and industry pros, I can see I've been trying to make a two-chairs-one-butt kind of tutorial. The tutorial has a target audience now, and it achieves its goal with that audience, and I can say go to hell to thosr outside that group, cause I cannot achieve success with them AND make the game I want to make.
- There were some valid concerns about the excessive swearing
- fuck those people
- I could swear there were other things, but I can't remember anymore.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 14, 2022, 01:39:10 AM »

I would also trust kids over "industry pros". The latter can be quite myopic about what games are "supposed to be"
Sketchwhale
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: October 15, 2022, 12:29:02 PM »

I would also trust kids over "industry pros". The latter can be quite myopic about what games are "supposed to be"

I'm definitely looking for more venues to show the game to kids now.

Gunroar:Cannon()
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: October 15, 2022, 03:57:28 PM »

Those thoughts were the best.
And yeah, kids are the no. 2 playtesters (next to the eldritch being under the bed).

The risk I took was calculated,
but man, am I bad at math.

https://hmmmgames.itch.io

How to be saved
Sketchwhale
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: October 17, 2022, 08:13:40 AM »

Those thoughts were the best.

Thank you, I'm glad you liked my ramblings  Smiley

And yeah, kids are the no. 2 playtesters (next to the eldritch being under the bed).
O̷̢̡̡͙͓̰͖̞̘̦̱̪̟̬̜̫̰͍̝̼̜͇̗̫͚̖̱͉̺̯͙̤̩͔͋̏͐͂́̒̑̓̋̿̆̍̿̂͌͂̓͗́̈́̐͘̕̕͝͝ĥ̷̛̗̗̘̖͙̣̆͑͗̄̈͘ ̴̡̧̢̧̨̡͔̟̹̪͓͉͚̯̩̠̖̲̪̘͉͔̯̝͐̔̊̿̿͌́͊͆̇͋͐̄̅̓͆̍͘̕͜͝͠È̴̮͍͉̻͇͆̆͋̀͐̈́ͅl̶̪̗̭̭̟͖̰͈͖̀̏̀̒́̄̔̀͛͘͠͠d̷̩̙̼͚̼͔̜͓̖̮̹̘͉̤̳͚̞͉̠͛̋̅͌̚͠͝ŗ̷̢͚̮͓̰͖͓̹̘̘̫̩͕̙̰͓̭̜͙͙͓͚̲͎̗̻̫̞̰͖͉͊̂͜͜ͅĩ̵͍̘̲͛̋̉̓̋͂ͅt̵̢̼̱̩̮͇̺̱̯̮̹̳̮̬͇̹̣͚̤̹̀̚c̶̢̝̦̞̯͔͕̩̳̰̹͙̤̘͖̋́̈́̔̃͐̾̈͒̍͛̍̑̀̿̑̓̄̑͐͒̓͂̿̀͘̚͝͝h̵̨̡̨̡͔͉̤̖̟̫̜̤̦͇̳̙̰̤̻̞̲̣̮͚̭̻̯̩̙̭̫̱͍͚̪̠̅ ̸̨̡̢̡̢̧̱̭̞̪̠̲̻̞̱̱̜͈͎̯̥̼͈͍̮͎̬̩͍̳̩͈̣̬͊̊̌̌͛̀̐̍͗̃̑̈́̈́͑̓̐̚̕͝͝ͅͅb̷̨̨̢̧̨̗̦̜̹͓̟͎̭̜̥͙̩̲̝̖̙̼͈̫̤̻͙̫̭̙̰̤̯͍̭̗͊͌̑̋̎̄̈̄̑̅͒͊̓̉̂̽̔͋̇̉̈́̈̀͛̂̚͘͝͝͝e̵̢̛̯͇̙͚̦̥̱̼̫̣̬͍͙͚̥͚̤̮̥͗͑͊͋͌͐͒̀̐͐͘͠į̶̢̱̥͚̺̠̳͉̜̬̞͖̻̺̻͈͖͎̥͔̤̜̗̻͉͔̥̹̣̔̂̈́͛̇̈́̊̀́̓̄̓̏̈́̚͘͜͠ͅn̵̢̧̛͈͈͔̲̻̪͕̮̣͉̣͉̜̩̫͖̯͓̝̱̘̪͙͙̯̤͇͗̊̇̇͗͂̃́͌̅̓̎͑͆̎̋͂̈́̌́̍͋͘͝͠͝g̶̡͔͖̗͓͉̟͇̩̭͔̬̟̙̝͈̠͓̼̬̠͍̩͙̟͔̬̫͎͖̪͇͈̈́̏͆͋̈́̄̍̃̕͜͝ͅͅs̵̢̧̨̡̜͙̬̼̼̗̗̼̟̘͍̟̤͓̖̬̗͔͍̼̹͍̬̯̺͓̘̞̲̼̓͗͋̑̽͜͜͜ ̷̛̳̝͇͚͙̯̤͈͓̫͓̘̦͐͑̅̐̈́̉̅̆̂̽̑̓̃͆͊͆̓̏́͋͊̽̉͘͘͘͠͝͝ą̴̛̘̘̜̰̾̄͌̌͗̄̃̂̕ṟ̶̜̺̹͕͇̥͑̂͋̓̾̓͑è̴̡̧̨̢̢̛̙̫̲̰͉̫̩̰̰̘̟̱̭̥̻͈͙͔̝̖͕͖̮͖̼̗̫̦̹̈͊́̿̈́̇̿̈́̽̀͆͛͌̉̈́́̓̌̈̊̃͋̕̚̚͘͜͝ͅ ̴̨̡̡̢̭͚̹̫̭̺̝͖͖̖̩͖̳̻͕̲̣͔̝̻͚̗̄̀͂͂̈̓̇́͛̓̈́͊̀͝͝ţ̷̼̗̱͉͖̯̙͓̹͕̰̥̼̹͍̩̭͕̘̲̋̓̅̽̊͂͊̅̊͐͊̓̓̒̉͂̀̈̽̀̓̈̒̃̊̾̌͜͜͝ͅȋ̶̭̭͚̦̺̰̼̝͍̉̿͠g̸̢̧̡̡̮̤̮̮̼̫̲̤̣̬̰̖̩̣̻̩̝̱̲͉̬̫̹̓̒́͂̌͛̋̓̽̓̏̿͆̋̍̊̐̇̈́̍̚͘͠͝͝͠͝͝͠͠ͅh̶̡̧̖̙͍̫̺̰̖̰̫̱͇̥͇̝̦̼̹͇̜̩̺̱̬̙̺̻̼̎̎̈́̇̐̔̿̉̂̈́͛̌̃͗̐͘͜ţ̴̢̛̛̛̗̮̱͙̗̤̝̖̤̻̺̟͓̮̇̃̐̃̃͆̏̉̆͋̎̔̿͐̕͜͠ͅ!̴̢̩̳͎͚̖̦͉̥̩̋̐͂͛̉̽͝

Sketchwhale
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: January 07, 2023, 03:25:35 PM »

January Update

It’s a new year. It’s gonna be a good year.

Itch io site is almost ready, but I want the demo to go with it, so I’m waiting before making it public. That’s okay though, ‘cause you can still try the game… if you live in Denmark or are planning on going to Copenhagen at the end of January or February!

28th of January (second day only!)
Copenhagen’s Game Festival
I assume there might be a lot of younger kids at this event, so from the reception we got at the Viborg Game Expo, we translated the game into Danish as a second language. This was real fun, since I obviously speak it at a more natural level than my English, but also because I could be the ultimate translator: “what was the author’s intention here? Oh, nevermind, I’M the author.”

18th of February (second day only!)
J-Popcon
The second language option probably won’t be necessary here. I’m really hoping to connect with people at this event. The Girl Who Kicked a Rabbit draws majorly from Japanese RPGs, and if there is an event where that fan segment should be present, it should be at a goddamn anime convention, right?

On the progress side, it’s a lot of little pieces that add up. Enemy behaviour has been made more interesting (has increased difficulty), cutscenes are more snappy, animations have been added to menus, the second world has been divided into a primary plus two optional branches, and the tutorial has definitely been tightened up.

I’ll end on a complaining note, and just lament that some (a lot) of the work to be done is in the writing department. I’m always just pushing it, because I know how frustrating it is for me to put in an entire evening only to not achieve anything presentable. The second issue is that because it is the least rewarding work for me, it’s difficult to muster the energy to sit down and get in the mood for writing when I know nothing else of interest will be achieved that evening. “Put kids to sleep. Do dishes. Clean up a little maybe? Okay, make a coffee, pour a whisky and then stare into space to get into the zone. Two hours pass and you’ve written… who knows how much. Maybe something. Maybe nothing. Go to bed.” That’s just me complaining. It’s okay to complain. It’s healthy to get it out. And look, I did write a rather long blogpost on Sin & Punishment 2, and one on Triangle Strategy. I enjoy writing. Rant over.

I’ll be back with fun experiences from those events, and a publicly available demo! See you in a few months.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 08, 2023, 09:51:48 AM »

Dammit, I live so close (Malmö) but won't be able to join. Good luck and share pics if you take any! Coffee
Sketchwhale
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: January 09, 2023, 03:47:10 AM »

Aw man, meet up would have been real fun!

Sketchwhale
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: January 21, 2023, 11:23:18 AM »

lol the event on the 28th cancelled on me. Sucks.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 23, 2023, 12:58:21 PM »

Ugh... well, if you're in the area anyway let me know Wink
Sketchwhale
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: February 20, 2023, 02:23:23 PM »

February Update with DEMO!!!

It's demo time! That's right, we finally have a public demo!

-->> The Girl Who Kicked a Rabbit DEMO [windows/mac!] <<--

I just came back from J-Popcon in Copenhagen, and it was a great time. A whole bunch of people came by our little two-laptop, one-horse booth. It is INCREDIBLY tiring to man a booth for 8-9 hours (don't worry, I wasn't alone), and J-Popcon was PACKED with people. Young, intense, cosplaying, excited people. And now everyone gets to try it. In case it isn't obvious, any feedback is appreciated, and though it makes me sound like I'm some pretentious twat accepting an Oscar, the mere honor of someone even playing the game is enough, and I'm so grateful for it.

Content-wise, it was pretty much the same demo as at Viborg Games Expo, but with an improved tutorial, lots of little system tweaks, more animations and so on.

Any updates to the game that's happened since last time, has been in the name of making the demo a more pleasant experience. And boy are those updates numerous, yet not very interesting to enumerate. Play the demo, have fun, enjoy!

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 21, 2023, 02:58:35 AM »

Did you get any new feedback, or was it more just nice to see people play and enjoy the game?
Sketchwhale
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: February 21, 2023, 06:40:34 AM »

Did you get any new feedback, or was it more just nice to see people play and enjoy the game?

People in general seemed to understand and enjoy the game without my input. Most feedback was advive from neighbouring exhibitors suggesting getting a steam page up so I can join Steam Fest, which seems like sound advice :D

I was struck by how some young boys (10-12) couldn't wrap their head around a controller. Apparently they were so used to touch screens, that just using a dpad or analog stick was foreign. J-Popcon had a funny culture clash between fans of K-Pop and fans of Japanese nerd culture.

We were located in the game room, and it wasn't specifically a gaming event, so it was pretty different from the previous event, where a bunch of developers were present.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 21, 2023, 07:36:48 AM »

Oh wow, controllers are that obscure these days?

But great that people just "got it" without needing your help, that's a good sign for sure!
Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: February 21, 2023, 10:07:26 PM »

Nice, I think it is great you were able to present the game and get some feedback!

I was struck by how some young boys (10-12) couldn't wrap their head around a controller. Apparently they were so used to touch screens, that just using a dpad or analog stick was foreign.

I will use that as an excuse to postpone controller support for a while Wink

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic