Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1392736 Posts in 66997 Topics- by 59854 Members - Latest Member: N1mb4t

June 23, 2021, 10:44:36 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingSnake Island - A Challenging 3D Puzzle [HTML5]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Snake Island - A Challenging 3D Puzzle [HTML5]  (Read 678 times)
werekarg
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: May 20, 2021, 07:11:44 AM »

---> Play Snake Island In Your Browser <---

Snake Island is a puzzle game where the goal is to guide the snake to collect the fruits.

There are 20 levels available for now.

I've drawn inspiration from games like Lime Rick/Snake Escape/Sokoban/Sokoban 3D for the mechanics and puzzles.

There are a few points that I'd like to improve in future versions, like an undo system and improved outline/highlighting for the hidden snake head. Maybe more levels with more traps/puzzle mechanics.

Thanks for playing and I'd appreciate any support (feedback, Twitter/Youtube follows, Facebook likes, etc).
► Twitter: https://twitter.com/PironGames
► Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pirongames

Gameplay Video:

Screenshots:

one of the Many
SiliconKaiser
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2021, 10:05:14 PM »

Cool game! Feels like a sort of 3D snakebird. It's definitely a new experience for me. I like the fact that it's novel and not too tedious. Puzzle designs are overall great and for the most part each level has a unique idea behind it which is always great.
Some general feedback since you didn't specify what kind of feedback you're looking for:

- I'm generally a fan of puzzle games that don't explain what you have to do and instead force the player to do the correct move the first time (like the first level with the climbing wall. Instead of written instructions (e.g. "Use arrow keys to move") just show the arrow keys and have the player try them out. I got stuck on level 7 for a while because I didn't realize you can't go backwards!!! It would be useful to have a simple level where I were forced to move backwards before throwing me at a challenge like level 7.
- Auto detect when the player is stuck.
- Please prioritize adding undo! I had to redo level 16 so many times because I kept misexecuting and that level is very sensitive to being precise.
- Don't limit how fast a player can input movements! It's frustrating to not have my key strokes registered just because the previous input's movement animation hasn't finished. Reminds me a bit of this video of Jonathan Blow's discussion of his latest game dev work:

Great stuff! Nice level art - I like how it blends neatly and aesthetically with the actual underlying puzzle layout.
werekarg
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2021, 06:58:29 AM »

@SiliconKaiser - thank you for the feedback!

snakebird has different mechanics. now i wanna try porting those mechanics to 3D, see how they work :D

surprisingly how "unnatural" moving backwards seems, probably the mobile snake mechanics are so ingrained in us...i think the second level, you can finish it faster if you move backwards (although i don't force the player to do so). tbh, i couldnt find a decent way to force the player to think "move backwards", so i've left it for the discovery.

detecting stuck situations seems like a nice addition.

movement: the game you've posted the video for makes sense to have fluid character movement - after all, it's a humanoid (seen some videos of lara croft go and movement there is super choppy). but in my game, character is cartoonish and the space is limited, every movement kind of counts (without an undo system), so i wanted to not confuse the player. i might, however, add a menu option to adjust the movement speed (from instantaneous to how it is now). maybe adding move command to a buffer should work too.

one of the Many
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2021, 07:05:02 AM »

The relative controls will take a while to get used to, but otherwise quite a neat puzzle game! Coffee
jbarrios
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2021, 06:19:27 AM »

Hi werekarg,

I played your game and recorded my thoughts:

werekarg
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2021, 04:44:13 PM »

hey jbarrios, thank you the video review!

thanks for pointing out level 8, that was a brain-fart on my behalf Cheesy

i did make a couple of changes (the on-screen controls now use a compass-like widget and some better transparency algorithm), but due to some personal circumstances, i have to postpone, for the time being, the next release.

if you've enjoyed the music piece (all credits are in the About section), it's called Building Energy and is composed by Drozerix: https://modarchive.org/index.php?request=view_by_moduleid&query=185456 - they've got great music, please support them on Bandcamp: https://drozerix.bandcamp.com/ !

one of the Many
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic