Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411280 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 06:03:38 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsburn 'em all - witch hunt - 2d
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: burn 'em all - witch hunt - 2d  (Read 1731 times)
Soju and Ink
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: June 09, 2021, 04:58:21 AM »

okay, this is going to take a long time to finish.

the plot:
witches have taken over your country and the only hope for mankind is a friendly priest with his flamethrower.

the game:
a side scrolling (run and gun) shooter. hunt witches and demons with a flame-trower, find and destroy the portal to the demon-world. but be careful: the flames can spread and get in your way and even kill you.

development:
all assets are drawn and animated in clip studio paint, game engine will be godot.

thoughts and suggestions, questions and critique are always welcome.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 06:31:04 AM by Soju and Ink » Logged

Soju and Ink
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2021, 05:02:16 AM »

very first conceptart of the protagonist:

(edit: changed image size to 50%, see larger images on artstation: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/0n9J54 )
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 06:53:41 AM by Soju and Ink » Logged

Soju and Ink
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2021, 05:04:46 AM »

conceptart of some witches:

« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 06:51:27 AM by Soju and Ink » Logged

Soju and Ink
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2021, 05:06:55 AM »

and demons:

more to come! please also follow on artstation:
https://www.artstation.com/soju_and_ink
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 06:52:11 AM by Soju and Ink » Logged

Ramos
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2021, 12:05:26 PM »

Except for the main character who looks almost exactly like the character from "The priest" aka does not seem original, the rest of the characters are pure awesome!

Looking forward to seeing how your creations comes to life

Soju and Ink
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2021, 02:15:55 AM »

... who looks almost exactly like the character from "The priest" ...

yeah, iknow. but my character has a flamethrower and the cross-tattoo is way bigger..
but seriously, the in-game character will be quite small, so you'll just see a guy in black with a flamethrower.

buto
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2021, 12:36:43 PM »

The illustrations are super impressive (I mean really super impressive). But the theme is kind of irritating, I think... A guy running around killing lots of women... with a flamethrower?!?!? Yikes...
Given that some time ago women were actually hunted and burnt by priests, who declared them as witches, doesn't make things better. At least not if presented as your main objective with such a light hearted tone, I think. This feels very problematic to me...  Shocked

I don't want to say that this is what you wanted to convey - but this is how I read it. Maybe that's of interest to you... Smiley

Soju and Ink
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2021, 01:26:04 PM »

..running around killing lots of women...

i know.. -but i have many male witches as well. also, in my story, witches are a higher class of demons and not human. they just take human form to manipulate (mostly) men.

Ramos
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2021, 01:21:41 AM »

The illustrations are super impressive (I mean really super impressive). But the theme is kind of irritating, I think... A guy running around killing lots of women... with a flamethrower?!?!? Yikes...
Given that some time ago women were actually hunted and burnt by priests, who declared them as witches, doesn't make things better. At least not if presented as your main objective with such a light hearted tone, I think. This feels very problematic to me...  Shocked

I don't want to say that this is what you wanted to convey - but this is how I read it. Maybe that's of interest to you... Smiley

I do not think politics and media way of thinking should affect the game creativity.

It is a game, not a history lesson, after all.

Soju and Ink
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2021, 07:22:11 AM »

okay, been a while.. lot has changed.

as i was drawing/animating the top-down character, i just wasn't happy with it. i also thought, it would just work better in 3d. so i returned to my initial concept - a side-sroller "run and gun" shooter.
i also didn't like the design anymore. i wanted to give him a bishop-hat and that eventually cancelled out the face tattoo.
i also went for a more cartoony look, to not be bound by realistic physics later on (and it's just more fun to draw).

yeah.. he's been through a lot already..

when i started learning the godot-engine, my very first practise-game-project was a greyscale rubberhose-animation platformer:

for this game i'm going for a similar style. like a mixture between betty boop and very early looney tunes.

more to come..

Soju and Ink
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2021, 07:06:57 AM »

movement and flamethrower test in godot.
no background or camera yet:

and some new enemy-design sketches:

oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2021, 10:34:39 AM »

I'll just come out and say it. Serious Cuphead vibes. BUT, that isn't a bad thing. Really digging the cartoony look over the original drawings. The direction is very cool. Nice work.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic