Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411485 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 04:36:23 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingCOMBINE.IT
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: COMBINE.IT  (Read 1141 times)
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: June 14, 2021, 06:32:24 AM »

I did the art for a game jam game made by Red Cube The theme was "Joined Together" and our game "COMBINE.IT" is about blocks that fuse when they touch to solve puzzles.

https://itch.io/jam/gmtk-2021/rate/1079150

If you like it please leave a rating, feel free to comment here or on the itch page!

jbarrios
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2021, 09:05:43 AM »

Hey MichaelPlzNo,

I played your game and recorded my thoughts:

I forgot to comment on your art in the video.  I like the art.  I especially like the little animation when you try to move into a purple block.
geo
Level 0

Indie dev from Austria (kamgam.com)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2021, 12:10:24 PM »

Hi, I played your game too.
Here are some remarks. I'll be very direct for brevity (no harm intended). Thanks for making and sharing it Smiley

Here are my thoughts (I typed them while I was playing):

1) Once you fail the restart menu does not highlight the buttons. I can't use my keyboard there. It would speed up restarting if I didn't have to grab my mouse just to hit restart.

2) If I keep an arrow key pressed it does not repeat the action. This makes moving over many tiles feel a bit tedious. Maybe you can add repetition if an arrow key is kept pressed down.

3) Would be nice to have Esc or some key to quickly restart (once you realise you already failed).

My "verdict": this was GREAT :D
Very simple mechanics, yet quite interesting levels.

Find out more about me and my games on https://kamgam.com
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2021, 08:45:17 AM »

We have gotten the feedback on the switching back to the mouse for the UI and Red Cube is working on a new update that fixes that and the key hold issue too. Also we have some less weird music incoming too. Thanks so much for the feedback!

fairchild_671
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2021, 02:32:21 PM »

Hey there, I've tried your game out and I thought it was quite clever. As I progressed it felt rewarding to figure out the puzzle even before pressing a key. The aesthetic and sound effects fit pretty well too.

1) Same as another commented above... I had to pick my hand up off the keyboard to click a mouse button to try again/reset and it started to become annoying.

2) The level design was interesting. I actually anticipated each level to progressively be more difficult especially after introducing a new mechanic. But I found a few that were unexpectedly easy, but it felt great to solve it quickly. Might be neat to reward the player for solving a level faster than usual, if there were a point system.

3) When moving the blocks off the edge, it would have been nice to have some sort of visual feedback that I was close to falling (maybe change the scale or change to a straight face or something?) Not ashamed to admit it took me a few tries to get the whole falling off thing and I was pretty close to quitting, but pressed on.

4) Seeing the Red Cube on the left side for so many levels, then for it to suddenly be on the right side was jarring. I almost wished the Red Cube flashed for a bit when the level loads just to get my bearings.

Excellent job, though! Really cool to see your game mechanic used in a variety of interesting ways Hand Thumbs Up Left

Indie game developer working on a futuristic sci-fi game called Forest Grove.
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2021, 05:20:20 PM »

Thanks for playing @fairchild_671 good suggestions with the red block flashing and the reset key. We have a new version that has 'r' to reset the level and a bunch more levels. I'll post when the new version is up.

1amth3am
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2021, 11:33:29 AM »

Although the white borders around the "land" appeared to be walls, I thought it was fun. This might have just been me, but other than that, it was short and sweet.
Sincerely,
1amth3am
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2021, 05:38:02 PM »

thanks @1amth3am

michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2021, 11:18:55 AM »

Big update: