Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 12:40:23 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessCost estimates of putting together a demo
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Cost estimates of putting together a demo  (Read 4226 times)
lamepun99
Level 0

View Profile
« on: June 15, 2021, 01:58:10 PM »

Hi all,

Trying to get a rough estimate of how much it would cost to employ a programmer and an animator on a contract to put together a short 10 minute demo for a game.

The demo would be for a linear FPS experience. Use of premade assets (static meshes for environments, audio, weapons) would be fine - the only asset that would need to be truly original would be the enemy NPC.

10 minute demo with the following:

- Windows, UE4

- two ranged weapons, ammo pickups
- healing item
- one enemy type
- one speaking NPC (remains seated; beyond dialogue and exchanging an item, would not do anything else)
- one player character
- 3D environment
- start, end, pause, game over screens

The design work (basic gameplay, environment design) would be done inhouse. The animator would need to be able to create, rig and animate the characters.

This question no doubt has gaps in it, so if you've got any insights, it'd be great to hear them even if they're not direct costings. UK-based, by the way; preferably looking to get figures in GDP.
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2021, 02:17:19 PM »

I'm kind of curious why you would want to put together such a demo: it seems like its been done a million times a million times better than what you would be making.

There are contractors who advertise making games all over linkdin, I get come ons asking if I want to contract them to make a game all the time. Might want to start there.

TonyLi
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2021, 01:26:13 PM »

The usual ballpark figure for professional developers in developed countries is USD $10k/month, or ~£7k/month. You might be able to shave off as much as £1k for remote contractors who come with their own hardware, software, etc.

Depending on the complexity of the enemy NPC, a modeller+animator might take as little as 2 weeks (say £4-5k) for a unique detailed, rigged, and animated model.

Give the programmer a minimum of two months for all the functionality you listed: dialogue, inventory, menu screens, combat and health, etc.

You might want to start with a studio that offers rapid prototyping of demos. They could probably quote you a lower price for the whole package.

If you're doing this for personal reasons and have the funds, go for it. If you're thinking of a commercial venture, I'm with @michaelplzno -- maybe make sure you have a unique hook first.

Either way, good luck!
JasonGilliam
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2022, 02:24:11 AM »

Thanks for the info. I really don't know that before.

Edit: I am sorry for the bump, I didn't realize the date.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic