Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1393639 Posts in 67091 Topics- by 60040 Members - Latest Member: khellyna

July 29, 2021, 03:35:22 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingRed Algorithm | Looking for feedback
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Red Algorithm | Looking for feedback  (Read 286 times)
Eugene7A
Level 0

0_0

View Profile WWW
« on: June 28, 2021, 11:27:46 AM »

Hey guys! I released a game called Red Algorithm a few weeks ago and looking for some feedback.

The game is here: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1637910/Red_Algorithm/

I already made a post on the forum that explains the game, so I won't repeat myself here again.

Gameplay video

Would be good if someone played the game trying to survive at least 10 minutes in casual mode and share his thoughts here.

• Was everything clear?
  • Have you encountered any bugs?
  • Your favourite hero?
  • Your favorite weapon?
  • Did you figured out how to get achievements on Steam?
  • What do you feel about overall game difficulty? It is too hard?

Thank you!  Smiley
« Last Edit: July 07, 2021, 05:22:34 AM by Eugene7A » Logged
TheJorthMagician
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2021, 04:11:59 PM »

Hi Eugene, just tried your game. Using a laptop mouse pad I found I had a hard time controlling it, of course age may just be catching up with me. Hand eye coordination isn't what it used to be. I suspect using a regular mouse would make quite the improvement to my ability to control the game, but with that being said I see the potential for Red Algorithm being a great time filler when you're commuting on the bus/train etc. Good job.

Check out the new 16-bit RPG The Great War of Jorth. A war story with multiple story branches and endings. Find the demo on our website: workingman.productions
Eugene7A
Level 0

0_0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2021, 04:43:16 PM »

Hi Eugene, just tried your game. Using a laptop mouse pad I found I had a hard time controlling it, of course age may just be catching up with me. Hand eye coordination isn't what it used to be. I suspect using a regular mouse would make quite the improvement to my ability to control the game, but with that being said I see the potential for Red Algorithm being a great time filler when you're commuting on the bus/train etc. Good job.

Hey TheJorthMagician!

Thank you for trying the game out!

Yeah... The game is heavily relays on the intense keyboard + mouse control. With the laptop pad you probably won't do much there. Since it's the game for PC and Steam, I wanted to make the whole movement a thing as hard as it's in Counter Strike or, say, Krunker, but in 2D.

I had some thoughts about making the game more mobile-friendly and even about porting it on mobile later, then I would add "auto-shoot and auto-aim" function, that would pretty much eliminate the need of using the mouse for those things, but if I decide to do that later, auto-aim and shoot will be still inferior to the manual controls that a player can do on PC with the regular mouse and keyboard.

Thank you for the feedback!
Level
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2021, 06:58:45 AM »

Hello!

I just tried out your game, it's pretty fun, but I believe there is a lot of things to be improved:

The sound design, weapons, reloads, music, etc. It's interesting how you made all of the sound effects with your mouth, but I believe a lot of times they come out as rather weak.
The animations, running, moving, enemies dying, etc.
The Textures, it's a cool style, but I think there is more that could be improved about it.
The general gameplay, there is no tutorial, I was clueless about what to do and how things worked, what is a penalty? How do I get one? How does it work? How do you aim, shoot, etc.
The resolution is capped at a very low value.
The death sound voice was... interesting.
It would be interesting to see a bigger play area or perhaps a procedurally generated system in place?
The gameplay loop is kind of lacking, I saw how you introduced new enemies at a later stage, but I believe one thing that would make the game more fun would be to have better death animations for the enemies, it would be interesting to see them vary from time to time or based on the weapon that you are using.

Anyways, that's about what I think could be improved, good luck on your dev journey!

-Level
Eugene7A
Level 0

0_0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2021, 05:21:37 AM »

Hey there! Thank you for your feedback.

I agree with most of the points you mentioned and will work on it. Of course, graphics and sounds aren't good, it's all based on my personal skills in these areas, which are pretty basic. The sounds are especially the weak part because I was recording everything for the 1st time like that and couldn't even make the volume consistent.

Death animations are something that I just added in the previous version, and I also had the idea of making them different, at least a few types per monster. It's a lot of work tho, but at some point, I'll come back to it for sure.

Valid criticism about the lack of tutorial, but I did add 3 things to help a new player:

• Random advice before the game (Scroll of Wisdom)
  • The controls help that appears when you start
  • General red warning about things (like you can't improve penetration of the weapon that has splash, etc.)

The fact that many people wouldn't get what weapon penalty is, or habit, or overwhelming, was my concern too. Now I deal with it by creating a manual about those things on my website, and also I write guides on Steam community. I will think of a way to explain to a new player how those things work in a natural way in the game.

The resolution is another problem that you rightfully bring up.

This comes back to the point about graphics overall, something that I should work on.

Hopefully, some things from this list will be improved in the next versions  Smiley
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic